Sunlight pollution in hood.

/ Sunlight pollution in hood. #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
Ran into an issue yesterday that I'm certain others have also encountered.

Was repairing my bush hog and the angle of the sun meant it shined in thru the top of my head and hood and made it difficult to see.

A quick fix was to put a towel over my head. Worked but was hot and inconvenient.

I plan to start a search for something but knew those here would likely have ideas that would save me some time.

What do you folks do when welding outside?

/ Sunlight pollution in hood. #3  
Ran into an issue yesterday that I'm certain others have also encountered.

Was repairing my bush hog and the angle of the sun meant it shined in thru the top of my head and hood and made it difficult to see.

A quick fix was to put a towel over my head. Worked but was hot and inconvenient.

I plan to start a search for something but knew those here would likely have ideas that would save me some time.

What do you folks do when welding outside?

I'm not sure but I have the same problem. Maybe a welders cap or a ball cap turned around backwards would help.

/ Sunlight pollution in hood. #4  
I have that issue occasionally and I keep an old black tee shirt in my bag and just drape it over the back of my head, it's kind of a pain but I don't weld in the sun very often. I tried velcro and clips but it was more hassle that it was worth for me, YMMV. You could also put up a shade umbrella

/ Sunlight pollution in hood. #5  
Look for a "Pancake" welding hood. They have a balsawood eye box that you sand to fit snugly, eliminating the light coming in the back side. A lot of the pipeliners use them for outdoor use.

/ Sunlight pollution in hood. #6  
Any light coming in around my hood affects my vision and quality of welds. Perhaps, some cheater lenses will help and I've already determined that super bright lighting on the work piece helps too.

/ Sunlight pollution in hood. #7  
I actually had problem with reflection off arc and Light Green welding jacket pushing light up into hood from front, exchanged it for black welding jacket, problem solved..... So anything to block "light" is probnably acceptable for "short term use".... Long term any fully encloses (air purifier/fan cooled ) helmet....

Dale