sunward solar hot water

/ sunward solar hot water #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
Anyone here have a sunward solar hot water system. For us with a wooden base stand and shipping to our house it would be about 8k after state and fed tax credits it would end up being about 3k. Thats not a bad price if it delivers as promised. Just looking for some reviews.
thanks.

/ sunward solar hot water #2  
I cannot tell if Sunward is owned by the DR Mower company but they are selling the systems. To get the tax credit check your state's regulations for the credit. I am pretty sure NC requires the system to be "professionally" installed. Whatever that means.

I have had good service with DR products though they are on the pricecy side they work and work well.

Later,
Dan

/ sunward solar hot water
In pa they must be "professionally installed" also. even though this system is made to be homeowener installed. If i get it i have to find someone on pa's list of approved contractors. they will have to come to me to basically pour glycol into the system. I will probably be charged a couple of hundred to do that, but i will get 2k back from the state.

/ sunward solar hot water #4  
And I should have added....

From the price of the Sunward/DR solar water heater I think I could get a system installed by a "professional". I have not gone out and bid a system in 5 years. Five-six years back I did look at a system and it was about the same price for a mail order system. Prices I have read online and in reviews seem to be in the same range so I THINK I could get one installed for the Sunward/DR price.

If I was getting a system, and I do want one, I would get some quotes locally. Then figure out how I can qualify to install it myself if it would save money. IF. I would still have to have the plumber come out and do his connections. I am pretty sure I have seen that NC state has installer classes and I think my local community college has them as well. A couple of day classes might be all it takes to be a "professional".

Later,
Dan

Thanks that may be a way to go. The only bad thing about nc state is how little commuter parking there is.

/ sunward solar hot water #6  
I'm a Solar Tech here at Sunward in Vermont. Here's a little additional information about the North Carolina Tax Credits for Solar Hot Water:

- The rebate or credit is avaiable under the program name Renewable Energy Tax Credit
- The maximum amount available under this state incentive is 35% of cost up to $3,500 (North Carolina is one of the most generous states for tax credits for Solar Hot Water)
- The Sunward System qualifies for this credit/rebate
- You are not required to obtain preapproval for this credit/rebate
- You are not required to have a specialized installer for this credit/rebate
- You must fill out an application to receive your credit/rebate
- The allowable credit may not exceed 50% of a your state tax liability for the year, reduced by the sum of all other state tax credits. Single-family homeowners who purchase and install a qualifying renewable-energy system must take the maximum credit amount allowable for the tax year in which the system is installed. If the credit is not used entirely during the first year, the remaining amount may be carried over for the next five years.

Here's a link to the instructions from the NC Tax dept : http://www.dor.state.nc.us/downloads/nc478g_instructions.pdf

Sunward is part of a family of companies that includes DR Power -- the system is assembled in the same facility in Vermont as many of the DR products, and is sold and supported by the same folks.

By all means you should evaluate local options. (We have installers we work with in NC that could fully install the system for you as well. Call us and we'll make the arrangements.) If you do compare systems based solely on price, we'll only hope you'll make an apple-to-apples comparison based on the many unique features our system offers (such as a PV powered pump), our industry leading warranty, as well as our 25 year track record of building and supporting high-quality, long-lasting products.

But even if you select another system, please DO invest in Solar Hot Water. The payback is 4-5 times faster than any other other renewal system you could install, and with the generous tax credits now in effect it really is a financial no-brainer.

One final word of advice: don't hesitate too long, as the state programs have a history of running out of money. So far this year Virginia, Mass, and Vermont have all had to suspend taking new applications for their state tax credits because the funding allocations became over committed.

/ sunward solar hot water #7  
In pa they must be "professionally installed" also. even though this system is made to be homeowener installed. If i get it i have to find someone on pa's list of approved contractors. they will have to come to me to basically pour glycol into the system. I will probably be charged a couple of hundred to do that, but i will get 2k back from the state.

We have several qualified installers in PA who we work with that will provide support for a mostly DIY installation. Feel free to email installersupport[at]gosunward[dot]com for a referral. Thanks.

/ sunward solar hot water #8  
I looked at these a couple years ago but I wonder how well these work in the wintertime? I now have my hot water hooked up to my coal/wood boiler that is in my garage. It works great and I get all the hot water I need which is great with 3 girls in the house..

Welcome to the site, and I appreciate the info.

/ sunward solar hot water #10  
I looked at these a couple years ago but I wonder how well these work in the wintertime? I now have my hot water hooked up to my coal/wood boiler that is in my garage. It works great and I get all the hot water I need which is great with 3 girls in the house..

Performance of Solar Hot Water systems in winter time is mostly a function of day length and whether you live in a climate that tends to be cloudy in winter. As a rule of thumb if there's enough sunlight to cast a shadow, even a dim one, you can heat transfer energy for solar hot water (solar electric is a little less forgiving of cloudy days) Based on straight day length, you'd be in good shape for all but the dead of winter when daylight drops under 8 hours.

The thing to keep in mind with Solar Hot Water is that it works in conjunction with your existing hot water system. The hot water it creates feeds into your existing tank, on-demand heater, or loop to boiler/furnace. If there's enough solar heat, your current system uses no energy. On a cloudy or short day if the solar system heats the water by only 20 degrees, that's 20 less degrees your system needs to work.

Maryland presently offers a $2,000 tax incentive for Solar Hot Water in addition to the 30% federal tax credit. DIY installation is allowed, although pre-approval is necessary. You can live chat with one of our solar techs on the Sunward web site, or find the 800 number there if you'd like to call (I'd give it here, but not sure if that seems too much like a commercial!)