Supply is getting better

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Supply is getting better #91  
United States' electricity producers paid about 2.39 U.S. dollars per million British thermal unit for natural gas in 2020. Meanwhile, coal power plant operators paid an average of 1.92 U.S. dollars.

Coal is "obsolete" only because it has come under attack from (fill in your choice of mental disorders here).
Mental disorders? Paranoid maybe? It’s shear economics. The large power plants in my state converted from coal to natural gas and costs decreased. The San Juan power plant near 4 corners reported in the Albuquerque Journal that their operating costs decreased by $10 million+ annually due to the switch. Modern gas fired turbines are cheaper to build and operate, and gas delivered by pipelines is cheaper. No mining, trains, and truck transportation. No cleaning and disposal of toxic slag produced by coal. And less employees needed to operate the plants. Why would a utility company want to use a fuel that costs more and is dirtier?

Last edited:
   / Supply is getting better #92  
Ideology trumps common sense:

NY has banned Natural Gas to new buildings - even though NG is one of the cleanest sources of energy.

The US has enough Natural Gas and Coal to power itself for centuries - ECONOMICALLY - if the crazies would just get back on their meds.
I agree with you on the one; wth is wrong with cooking on a gas stove?

/ Supply is getting better #95  
1 reason fracking has slowed or stopped was due to the earthquakes it was causing due to hydraulic pressure.
Our population in the US has gone up, not down.

Inflation is caused by a lot of related issues. One is printing money constantly as our government is doing for the past decade or so. To stop it in the 70's they increased the interest rate. Something they are trying not to do as it will stop growth.

Gov answer is to import H1Bs by the hundreds of thousands to fill low paying jobs, and companies using them to fill high paying jobs at lower rates. Take a 737 Max lately?

Politicians calling things free isn't helping.

We see ports and distribution a mess, we hope that will get cleared up, but the backlog from Covid and Just In Time manufacturing is going to take a loooong time to get back to normal.

We are still seeing metal and other basic building materials in short supply around here and scrap prices are high.
Even lysol around here is $10/can if you can find it.

Can you show me all these earthquakes? I looked it up and all I see is there’s no earthquakes directly from fracking.

USGS survey doesn’t seem to think it’s very serious.

/ Supply is getting better #97  
Yep. The new GM trucks I see driving around the area seem to all be white and the commercial grade, I guess owing to the fact that whatever the chips in short supply, the low end trucks don't use them.
That has not been my observation. Seeing a lot of high end GMC's with the fancy tailgates.

/ Supply is getting better #100  
Status
Not open for further replies.