Surround Sound Advice

/ Surround Sound Advice #11  
One cool thing a friend of our family did was run a unit using DC power...it was custom built, but supposedly is the cat's meow for sound. Not sure what she paid, but she lives in Upper Westside Manhattan and this was in her beach house on LI, so I'm sure it wasn't cheap. Anyone ever heard of something like this?

/ Surround Sound Advice #12  
I would get rid of the center channel speaker regardless of brand (Its mostly for character voice anyway)

I'm no AV expert but many recommend turning down (all the way) the inferrior TV's speakers and use the center channel :confused:

/ Surround Sound Advice #13  
If you like watching action movies, like I do:laughing:, make sure you invest in a decent subwoofer. I have a Klipsch and am very happy with it.

/ Surround Sound Advice #14  
Sony still makes a good reliable system at an affordable price,
I have a Sony DX-250 in our den with 6 way surround speakers, paid less than 400 for it,

Sony DAV DX250 - home theater system - 5.1 channel - Home Theater Systems - CNET Archive
...................................................................................................
also have a more expensive JVC XV-THD50 in our theater room Both are very good quality sound for the money, But I still like the Sony better, I'm sure more money could buy better than either of these two, but I like to save a little ching$ to actually buy movies to watch with;)

/ Surround Sound Advice
Thank you everyone for your help and advice. I feel like I'm learning a new language trying to decypher what I need and what is extra that I will never even notice if I had it. There seems to be a breaking point of the really good stuff and the almost good stuff at $500. From what I read, the $300 receivers do everything that I want, but each brand that I read up on has it's issues in that price range. What I'm afraid of is buying one, it not working right, and my not knowing that it's defective instaed of not adjusted properly, or the other way around.

The reviews that I'm reading on AV Forums seem to be the most informative, but I have to open up Amazon to read those reviews and look at the receiver to see if it's what I'm interested in. Some of those guys are really into their systems, and buy new stuff a couple times a year!!!!!

I'm not realy in a rush. The speakers on my Samsung TV work just fine, but you don't get the experience of a good movie with them. My picture is just amazing, and I want the sound quality to be there too.

My birthday is in a few weeks, so that's kind of what is driving me. I also want it for movie nights with a friend, and rainy days of doing nothing.

Thank you,
Eddie

/ Surround Sound Advice #16  
Talking about stereo gear is like talking about tractors, cars or baseball teams, everyone has an opinion! :laughing: You might want to look in the yellow pages for your area and see if there are any "A/V Consultants" that you can touch base with. For $50-100, they will give you a couple of hours of their time and can show you what's what and who's who in the market. And, little known fact, alot of these guys are also distributors for a particular brand and may be able to get you some good deals. They've also been known to buy "last year's gear" from their high-end clients that upgrade on an annual basis and you can get some great deals that way!

/ Surround Sound Advice #17  
Eddie,
Talk with Ronnie at Stereo and Video Center,across from Best Buy on Broadway in Tyler . I've known and bought stuff from him since 1979.....a good guy that wont steer you wrong. They will be competetive on price too.

/ Surround Sound Advice #18  
One cool thing a friend of our family did was run a unit using DC power...it was custom built, but supposedly is the cat's meow for sound. Not sure what she paid, but she lives in Upper Westside Manhattan and this was in her beach house on LI, so I'm sure it wasn't cheap. Anyone ever heard of something like this?

She's probably running a car amplifier, works off 12 volts. Sometimes, though, the 12V power supply to run it costs as much as the amp. People do it all the time.

/ Surround Sound Advice
Eddie,
Talk with Ronnie at Stereo and Video Center,across from Best Buy on Broadway in Tyler . I've known and bought stuff from him since 1979.....a good guy that wont steer you wrong. They will be competetive on price too.

Thanks. I've never been in there, and had forgotten that it existed. I'll be in that part of Tyler next week, and maybe over the weekend. I'm going to make it a point to go in there and see what they have to say.

Eddie

/ Surround Sound Advice #20  
Eddie,

Don't skimp out and go cheap-you may not be able to hear the difference, but Oscar will!!!

Sounds like your hearing is like a lot of us who probably should have been more careful when we were younger. In the 60's and 70's, no one I know took any precautions, and now am paying the price in addition to the normal hearing loss from getting older. I did get a little smarter as I got older, but not nearly soon enough.

My $.02-take the advice of some of the others who have suggested getting a good subwoofer. To me, that's what really drives the listening experience when watching action movies. For example, that's why going out to the movies is still so popular-most of the better theatres have great sound systems, and part of that is the bass range from good subwoofers. Also, like a lot of things, getting good advice from a pro you trust will really help you get comfortable with whatever you decide to get.

I'm enjoying this thread, as I'm getting ready to upgrade the older Sony system we're using in our lower level. It's served us well, but the room is really too large for the small subwoofer that came with this system. It worked well in our other home family room, but I had to leave the built in system with that house when we moved. FWIW, I had a Denon reciever with that system and loved it.

By the way, I didn't think you ever took any "downtime", judging by all you've built and are doing at your place. I enjoy seeing what all you've done and the craftsmanship, and following Oscar's story. Good luck!

GGB