Survey: RK Tractor owners!

Dfixit1

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240HSTC-3
Im curious how far, distance in miles do RK Tractor owners live from the RK Store?

If it breaks are you able to transport it yourself to the store for repair?

Have you had any warranty related issues that required repair?

Im told some dealers have a 50 mile limit for warranty related issues.

Im considering a RK55 but Im 3 hours from the store......

Thank you!

cdb2

Silver Member
Tractor
RK55HC
I'm nearly 4 hours from the store I bought from, but I knew that the store 2 hours away was going to be a tractor location early this year. Haven't had any issues yet that require a trip in, only thing I need to talk to them about is a squeaky steering wheel but I don't think that will require taking it in.

I've got a trailer to haul it in if ever necessary, I don't think I would have bought it if not.

ETA: I'm 150 miles from purchase store, 85 to nearest tractor location now.

fried1765

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, 8N Ford, Gravely 12 HP "Professional", 48" SCAG Liberty
I'm nearly 4 hours from the store I bought from, but I knew that the store 2 hours away was going to be a tractor location early this year. Haven't had any issues yet that require a trip in, only thing I need to talk to them about is a squeaky steering wheel but I don't think that will require taking it in.

I've got a trailer to haul it in if ever necessary, I don't think I would have bought it if not.

ETA: I'm 150 miles from purchase store, 85 to nearest tractor location now.

A sturdy trailer is something every tractor owner should have.

NonConformer

Tractor
Mahindra 2810 HST
I have two stores within 14 miles of my farm .. Steubenville Ohio and Washington PA ,both have RK Tractors .. I have been seriously considering an RK 37 open station ,seems to be the best value in a premium tractor offering in its class for the money..

snymat68

Platinum Member
Tractor
RK24H, Gravely 8123
Im curious how far, distance in miles do RK Tractor owners live from the RK Store?

If it breaks are you able to transport it yourself to the store for repair?

Have you had any warranty related issues that required repair?

Im told some dealers have a 50 mile limit for warranty related issues.

Im considering a RK55 but Im 3 hours from the store......

Thank you!

As a truck drives: 41.5mi (60min).
As a crow flies: 33.9mi
I have a truck and trailer to haul my tractor. Wouldn't be without it.

shooterdon

Elite Member
Near Johannesburg MI but in the middle of nowhere
Tractor
2019 LS XR4140 HST Cab; 2020 Kawasaki Mule SX; 2021 Bad Boy 54" ZT Elite
I came very close to buying an RK but being 200 miles away was the deal killer in the end. To drop off and then go back to pick it up would have been 800 miles. I have a neighbor that would have lent me his trailer, but I hate borrowing things like that. Adding a trailer needs factoring in too.

I found two local dealers within 65 miles that would pick up and drop off at no cost, (at least during the warranty period) and the LS was not much more than the RK.

When I called RK about warranty work they told me they had service trucks. But in the worst case scenario, some repairs require a proper shop. For a hobby user like I, a trailer is not justified.

BTW, I think anyone living within RK's service radius should look hard at their offerings. Looks like a lot of value to most people who put less than 150 hrs a year on a machine.

fried1765

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, 8N Ford, Gravely 12 HP "Professional", 48" SCAG Liberty
I came very close to buying an RK but being 200 miles away was the deal killer in the end. To drop off and then go back to pick it up would have been 800 miles. I have a neighbor that would have lent me his trailer, but I hate borrowing things like that. Adding a trailer needs factoring in too.

I found two local dealers within 65 miles that would pick up and drop off at no cost, (at least during the warranty period) and the LS was not much more than the RK.

When I called RK about warranty work they told me they had service trucks. But in the worst case scenario, some repairs require a proper shop. For a hobby user like I, a trailer is not justified.

BTW, I think anyone living within RK's service radius should look hard at their offerings. Looks like a lot of value to most people who put less than 150 hrs a year on a machine.

If you own a tractor you SHOULD own a trailer suitable for moving that tractor.
Paying someone to move your tractor just several times, may cost more than owning a trailer.
Trailers depreciate very little.

Last edited:

shooterdon

Elite Member
Tractor
Paying someone to move your tractor just several times, may cost more than owning a trailer.

For the next 6 years, I will not require a trailer to get my tractor serviced as my LS dealer will take care of it at no cost. It would not be a good investment in my case. YMMV

The most outrageous charge was from the Kubota dealer who was at $300 both ways. It would take a long time to break even. And even if the trailer did not depreciate, I still need it sitting there as long as I own the tractor and I have $6500 doing nothing.

fried1765

Super Star Member
Tractor
For the next 6 years, I will not require a trailer to get my tractor serviced as my LS dealer will take care of it at no cost. It would not be a good investment in my case. YMMV

The most outrageous charge was from the Kubota dealer who was at $300 both ways. It would take a long time to break even. And even if the trailer did not depreciate, I still need it sitting there as long as I own the tractor and I have $6500 doing nothing.

An under 2000 lb. tractor (JD 855) does not need a "$6500" trailer "doing nothing"
A $1440 trailer from Lowe's will haul your JD 855.

shooterdon

Elite Member
Tractor
An under 2000 lb. tractor (JD 855) does not need a "$6500" trailer "doing nothing"
A $1440 trailer from Lowe's will haul your JD 855.

The new tractor is likely to be an LS XR4140 cab with FEL and loaded tires. The tractor dealer figured I needed a $6500 trailer to haul it. I never followed up when he offered free pickup and delivery.

Sawyer Rob

Tractor
several brands
Your dealer is nuts!

I bought this 20' PJ trailer NEW for under $3,500.00 and it's rated 14K!!

standard.jpg

SR

fried1765

Super Star Member
Tractor
Your dealer is nuts!

standard.jpg

SR

Perhaps his dealer is not really .... "nuts"....he is just likes to rip customers off, if he can!

Last edited:

RTBee

Silver Member
Tractor
RK55 Shuttle Shift
Wow! Don't know for sure but I'd be surprised if your tractor weighs over 9000#. Rural King offers a very nice 12K trailer for $4200. Also I'm sure many other brands new and used for less than $6500. Just remember, what ever you save is more you can spend on attachments/accessories! :thumbsup:

shooterdon

Elite Member
Tractor
Guys,

You are absolutely correct...my Kubota dealer is NUTS!!! Was looking at a new tractor and zero turn and buying elsewhere.

I have no need to trailer the tractor as I have found three dealers that will pick it up and return it at no charge. So, never shopped for a trailer. And if the rare needs arises, my neighbor has a trailer he would let me use.

My apology for putting out a stupid number. I should not have trusted what the dealer quoted me. But it is still not worth $3500 to have a trailer that I do not need and will sit there 99% of the time. Spending the money it on attachments that get used 3% of the time instead. LOL

Walter L

Gold Member
Tractor
LS XG3135 ,Farmall 140 Foton FT404 1979 international cub tractor
Your dealer is nuts!

standard.jpg

SR

I have the same trailer with different axels, 7000 lb and i could have got 10,000 for a couple hundred more it also came with electric brakes and a bull dog hitch Bought it 5 yrs ago for around $1800 and my 35 hp 4 wd fel tractor weighs less than 4500 lb and my 45 hp 4wd about 4500 to 5000 with out a fel. I dont have a problem towing either.

BoneStock

Bronze Member
Tractor
RK19, 79 IH 682, 98 Murray Widebody LT
You can follow my YouTube channel, I’ve logged some repairs done to my tractor.
I live one town over from my dealer, so delivery isn’t a hassle. However; I had a tech pick the tractor up, and they have mobile techs that can handle issues for you, no delivery required.

Attachments

• 5A035EBC-DAF4-4635-9060-254D6B37A1B1.jpeg
    5A035EBC-DAF4-4635-9060-254D6B37A1B1.jpeg
    547.1 KB · Views: 222

paulfun9

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40

6500 is going to get a lot of trailer. I just looked and could buy a 22ft hyd tilt 14k trailer for 6799.99 locally.
A basic equipment trailer 18ft with ramps rated at 9990 priced at 2990. And the 20ft rated at 9990 for 3200.
Now understand there is a huge difference between a 20 ft trailer for 3000. Average and one that falls into the 4 to 5 thousand range but for an occasional use trailer the cheaper trailers are good deals.

I don稚 know many people who don稚 find enough use to justify owning a trailer. Just the other day my friend saved himself a huge towing bill simply by using his trailer purchased to haul his tractor when his wife痴 car broke down. Towing bill would have been ridiculous from his in laws to home but with the trailer it was just cost of fuel. Add to that mobility of almost anything you need such as wood for building, dirt for that yard work, mulch, stone for the driveway. Not only can you save on that extra charge for delivery of the big things but you get a small discount on the small things too. Add the convince of letting something sit on the trailer till your ready to use it rather than having to unload right now because you have to use your truck for something else and the cost really becomes justifiable quickly.
Now I know some people have things figured out differently and I am not trying to convince you you need a trailer. Just stating your dealer was nuts and only wanted to sell you more than you need or overcharge you not sure which but that for many like my friend who used to think a trailer would be a waste of money and would just sit, actually find that after they own one they find themselves using it more often then they imagined.

fried1765

Super Star Member
Tractor
6500 is going to get a lot of trailer. I just looked and could buy a 22ft hyd tilt 14k trailer for 6799.99 locally.
A basic equipment trailer 18ft with ramps rated at 9990 priced at 2990. And the 20ft rated at 9990 for 3200.
Now understand there is a huge difference between a 20 ft trailer for 3000. Average and one that falls into the 4 to 5 thousand range but for an occasional use trailer the cheaper trailers are good deals.

I don稚 know many people who don稚 find enough use to justify owning a trailer. Just the other day my friend saved himself a huge towing bill simply by using his trailer purchased to haul his tractor when his wife痴 car broke down. Towing bill would have been ridiculous from his in laws to home but with the trailer it was just cost of fuel. Add to that mobility of almost anything you need such as wood for building, dirt for that yard work, mulch, stone for the driveway. Not only can you save on that extra charge for delivery of the big things but you get a small discount on the small things too. Add the convince of letting something sit on the trailer till your ready to use it rather than having to unload right now because you have to use your truck for something else and the cost really becomes justifiable quickly.
Now I know some people have things figured out differently and I am not trying to convince you you need a trailer. Just stating your dealer was nuts and only wanted to sell you more than you need or overcharge you not sure which but that for many like my friend who used to think a trailer would be a waste of money and would just sit, actually find that after they own one they find themselves using it more often then they imagined.

EXACTLY CORRECT !!!!

Hammer850

Tractor
Ford 850
If I purchase this week 53 miles to store but I’m building a 13ft trailer to haul on.

DCriswell

Tractor
RK37H
I am 80 miles from the Rural King store and took delivery of a RK37 yesterday. I had the tractor delivered which cost about $350. I decided to have it delivered because of limited time and I simply did not want to purchase a trailer at this time. I will say the delivery was a bit of a goat rope especially when the guy arrived and the first thing he said was, "what do you have to lift these implements off my truck". My answer was that I recently bought a tractor that would be very helpful if we could just get too it. We ended up dragging the bush-hog and box blade off his truck with my truck. I choose RK over a LS, which is only about 15 miles away simply because of price. They both seem to be comparable tractors but I saved some money. I'm a little concerned about the difficulty of getting warranty work accomplished but I'll deal with that when the time comes.

scottz

Tractor
RK24H
I am 600miles from my nearest RK in Matoon IL. I picked up and RK24 in June of 2018.

I have had a couple minor issues and have had a seat switch and flasher button shipped to me.

I have a Mahindra dealership 1.5miles from my house. If I need any out of warranty service I will try to use them.

Otherwise, RK seems willing and able to ship me parts that I need.

kkilli

I just hit the 1 year mark with my RK37. Currently at 210 hours and climbing.

Zero problems to report.

BigMark

Tractor
RK55HC Turf Tires, John Deere 870 & 455 w/ 60" deck, Snapper 48" walk behind mower
25 Miles

markie61

Veteran Member
Tractor
2019 Rural King RK55HC with Loader & Backhoe; 2001 New Holland TC40D with Loader
Waze says I am 49.9 miles to the store. I paid attention since delivery was $250 for the first 50 miles and $2/mile after that...
No trailer, plus I don't think my F150 is rated to carry that much weight anyway. If I decided to try it, I would remover the loader and backhoe to lighten it up.

g8erh8er

Silver Member
Tractor
RK55HC
10 miles from rural king. Picked up the keys on a Saturday. Went to the store before dawn on Sunday when the streets would be fairly empty and just drove it home.

Someone from the store came out when I was warming her up and looked confused, asking if I worked for RK (I was wearing the RK Tractor cap I got with my purchase). I told him no, just driving home my new tractor. He asked for my receipt and took it inside to make sure everything was on the up-and-up. Don't blame him, probably not hard to duplicate keys for a tractor.

Super Star Member
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
M9000 HDCC3 M9000 HDC
Waze says I am 49.9 miles to the store. I paid attention since delivery was $250 for the first 50 miles and $2/mile after that...
No trailer, plus I don't think my F150 is rated to carry that much weight anyway. If I decided to try it, I would remover the loader and backhoe to lighten it up.

Last time I looked a Ford F150 was overloaded with more than 4 bags of groceries.:laughing:

Tennsawdust

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 3000, MF 245, JD 214
Last time I looked a Ford F150 was overloaded with more than 4 bags of groceries.:laughing:

The new aluminum bodied trucks have surprisingly high payload capacities - up to 3300 lbs. The GM trucks also gained quite a bit with the new, lighter, body. They call them half tons, but most configurations can haul somewhere between 1800 and 2300 lbs. I had a 1979 C20 and with the "HD payload package" it was only rated for just over 2500 lbs. They have certainly made some improvements.

Theconings

Tractor
Rural King RK 24
I am lucky I live only a few miles from my Rural King I am in there often

ukwildcat87

Tractor
RK 55H; International Super A
I'm about 12 miles from my store. Just picked up my RK55H last week. I bought a 20 foot trailer (not RK) for it that I pull with my F-150, no issues.

DavenFla

Tractor
RK 37 HST
Picked up my RK37 H yesterday along with 72" finish mower and 60" box blade. Loaded on my 22' flat bed/cargo trailer ... 105 miles.
Rosey.jpg

Ishkatan

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 8N
42 miles.

Just went to look at one today. Very nice, but very loud. Special orders are 5 weeks out for delivery.

Store does NOT deliver so you are on your own to make arrangements. U-haul car carrier is 2100 lbs and costs $55 / day in Frederick, Md., round trip. Double that for one way. RK37S is listed at 2065 lbs, RK37HC is 3450 lbs and the bucket is a little over 1000.

Remember, they fill the tires with beat juice so how much does that weigh?

Parmen

Tractor
RK55H
23 Miles, I am waiting for the sub frame for the back hoe before we take delivery of our new RK55H. Hope we are not held up too long but it is what it is. Everyone is having difficulties with supply chain issues. sigh.

Tractor
RK37H
A month ago I purchased my RK37H from a Rural King dealer who is 52 miles away. There was a closer dealer only 43 miles away, but I did not like the equipment manager's attitude. Very disrespectful in a condescending way. He was selling everything he could order and get delivered, so he had a take-it-or-leave-it demeanor. The other dealer further away, who was just as busy, was the exact opposite and it cemented my decision to purchase the RK37H from him.

I prefer not to pay for attitude when I can always get it for free.

I do not own a trailer and paid $250 to have the RK37H with loader and back hoe, plus several attachments, delivered. Like someone else on this thread said, if I have warranty issues that require me to haul the RK37 back to the dealer, so be it. I'll deal with it if and when it happens.

The tractor, loader and back hoe was at least $5,000 less than comparable equipment by other manufacturers. Plus other dealers would not, or could not, give me an estimate of when they could deliver what they wanted to sell me. The RK dealer got me what I wanted in under 3 weeks for $5,000 less than anyone else. It was an easy decision as far as I was concerned. Plus Rural King did not require a deposit or a sales contract. A hand shake was all it took to lock in my order.

Last edited:

circled

Tractor
Kubota M6800, RK 24
As OP asked about warranty service, I had a warranty issue no long ago. Went into barn, found hydraulic fluid puddle under right rear tire. Appeared the real axle seal (to hub) was popping out. Contacted corporate RK to ask about 8 year power train warranty and the seal. Refused warranty repair, said powertrain warranty only covered internal parts bathed in oil? What do I know? Disappointed? Yes. Went to store to get replacement hydraulic fluid, no longer carry Harvet King, asked what to use and 3 kind folks couldn't come up with which replacement hydraulic oil to use/buy. Went online found TSC had the Harvest King equivalent and bought that. When I repaired the seal/re-seated the seal, which was undamaged, I noticed a very small amount of gray sealant on the hub and even less on the seal itself. All this is just my experience for what it is worth. 240 hrs and less than 3 years old RK24 AND a well taken care of piece of equipment.

Ishkatan

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 8N
Ordered a RK 37HC last week. 67 miles according to google. Or 77 to the other store. No stores in Maryland. I was told it was because of the gun laws. I will have it hauled and the store does not make that arrangement, though they gave me a number. Hopefully I can get it for a lot less than $5 / mile my local tow company quoted.
Trying to use the RK credit card to get 5% off... if I can cycle through the limit fast enough.

Ishkatan

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 8N
If you have a truck that can handle 7000 lbs, a U-Haul car trailer is around $55+tax / day when I last checked. renting a Tow Truck+trailer was $75/day + $1.29 per mile. So For me it's about $300 to fetch it myself. Hmmmm.... Have chains, need tighteners.

Torvy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Looking to purchase a Compact Tractor in 30-50 HP range.
No RK stores near here, sadly, but on the trailer issue, at least in my case it would be buying a big enough trailer and a truck big enough to haul it. Two extra purchases that would get scant use by me otherwise. I completely respect other decisions, just not a good option in my case.

MikeH-OH

Tractor
RK 55 HSC, JD3200,
I'm 3.4 miles to the store. My local JD dealer is about the same in the other direction.

Wish I had turned left instead of right.