Grapple Sway my grapple decision. Homestead/CTA

/ Sway my grapple decision. Homestead/CTA #21  
The long tine style root rake grapple will carry more brush. You can hand stack logs or branches in it for the times where you can't pick them up. But when you pick up small log the lids don't grip it tight.

The root rake style (your second link) is probably better for logs. The tines would let you drive up and grab the log without scooping, and it'd grip logs of any size. I don't have experience with them so I'm just guessing based on the experience I do have.

With my EA wicked grapple I usually tip the grapple down and grab logs from the top. Or come in with the tines nearly flat and then roll the grapple over as I advance, so the lids are on the other side of the log before I close them. Scooping from the front hasn't been all that successful for me though it works sometimes. Grabbing from the top also chews up the ground less than trying to push the tines under the log.

/ Sway my grapple decision. Homestead/CTA #22  
So, I've reading this thread as it progressed.... @ I don't see any reason not to purchase the CTA... Heck you just sold me on it ^^^... $400 cheaper & lighter; those are both in your favor (for your tractors lift capacity & your wallet).

I know everyone looks for the strongest they can get for the money but to be honest with you... we purchase a cheap 48" grapple that is "less" than top quality & for our uses, it does everything we have asked it to. Weight was our biggest concern do to the lifting capacity of our TC40D... believe it or not, I'm glad we got a 48"... I fit it in place I could never get our bucket & it grabs stuff just fine.

I think you're more than good with your decision & the long you wait without one... the more you'll regret not having gotten a grapple sooner....

/ Sway my grapple decision. Homestead/CTA #23  
Thanks for the reply. Initially, I thought dual lid was the way to go, but again, got scared away by weight. I think my FEL capacity is close to yours. I assume you’re moving logs with it too. No problems with that weight? Might need to reconsider… oh man… here we go…

Absolutely love it. Flawless for 4 years. Good fit for us.

1200# loader capacity.
Added rear tire ballast and 2” extensions. Mainly for mowing on our hillside.

Can easily pickup a fist sized rock to pencil size stick without touching the ground. Or gather large piles of brush or logs to carry off. Carry enough where two lids are beneficial.

Lot of good grapples to pick from.

/ Sway my grapple decision. Homestead/CTA #24  
My two cents. Loader in my avatar is a Wildkat 48" I bought it for my 3320 and when I sold it and bought a 4720 I continued to use it-so went from a 35HP JD to 58HP. It has held up well although I had to do a little welding on it due to my negligence in trying to pry a half buried big rock out of ground. MSattachments.com, Denton NC made mine and current version ("48" Economy) according to website weighs 350 lbs. The new version is somewhat lighter as 8 tines vs. new model with 6 but I note new version continues with 3/8ths steel as is mine.

No clue on current price. I paid under 700 when they were starting out...I'm sure new one if probably twice that.

As for handling brush, no problem...I usually "roll" the brush pile bit and it ends up forming a tight not. I'm a wood burner so handles log length, No issue

Check it out. I'm a firm believer in keeping weight down as every pound not in the equipment is another pound you can carry.

Attachments

• 4BD33DC9-1B26-4E54-A83A-56A2A616DF9C.jpeg
    4BD33DC9-1B26-4E54-A83A-56A2A616DF9C.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 103
  • A6445946-3292-4130-8C26-6D97A25D6D9B.jpeg
    A6445946-3292-4130-8C26-6D97A25D6D9B.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 107
  • E067873D-2BFB-4F9C-8BA3-4870BA442EF3.jpeg
    E067873D-2BFB-4F9C-8BA3-4870BA442EF3.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 108
   / Sway my grapple decision. Homestead/CTA #25  
Right… so circling back to light weight being high priority and my original options… What do people think of the CTA? For the SSQA It’s only 210# (274/255# for EA), grade 80 steel (same as EA 50”) and about $400 cheaper than EA (shipping incl.) Not that the $400 makes a huge difference… I don’t mind paying more to get more.

I have no experience with it, but looking at the pics up close, it looks good to me. The pics show good construction and welds, with reinforcements in the right areas. Welded plate and not just tube stock through the lower tines as well. And, as you said, Gr. 80 steel. The lid pivot is the top bar, but its greaseable and as long as you keep it that way, it'll work fine. It does probably mean its non-replacable though if it does get tweaked by a heavy, unbalanced, load.

If you like that style and know it'll work for your intended use, I think it should work out just fine.

/ Sway my grapple decision. Homestead/CTA #26  
I don't have one but I would look at the 2 cylinder as it can grab more irregular shapes. I personally would just build one to make it how I want it but I think my tractor only has 2 hydraulic controls in the front and no rearward hydraulics. I could be wrong though, but I would love to have a powered top link. Just a question for the OP, why not a for grapple? I've got a wicked tough mask for my tractor and I could just use an arm to hold stuff on it sometimes.

/ Sway my grapple decision. Homestead/CTA #27  
Not to confuse the issue but this is the style of grapple I have and it spends about 95% of the time on my FEL. With a bucket grapple I move rocks, logs, brush, still have the ability to move small and soft materials, dirt sand gravel, and do grading by back dragging areas. IMHO there are other grapples that will do specific types of work better or a little easier, but this one does everything pretty well. I love the versatility of a multitasking tool.

/ Sway my grapple decision. Homestead/CTA
Not to confuse the issue but this is the style of grapple I have and it spends about 95% of the time on my FEL. With a bucket grapple I move rocks, logs, brush, still have the ability to move small and soft materials, dirt sand gravel, and do grading by back dragging areas. IMHO there are other grapples that will do specific types of work better or a little easier, but this one does everything pretty well. I love the versatility of a multitasking tool.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had not seen this particular one. I can see how it might be a “jack of all trades”. I like the looks of this, but I’d like something that the small stuff (dirt, rocks, leaves, etc) can fall through. 66” is a little wider than I’d like for around the woods. Would like to stay 55 inches or less.

/ Sway my grapple decision. Homestead/CTA
I don't have one but I would look at the 2 cylinder as it can grab more irregular shapes. I personally would just build one to make it how I want it but I think my tractor only has 2 hydraulic controls in the front and no rearward hydraulics. I could be wrong though, but I would love to have a powered top link. Just a question for the OP, why not a for grapple? I've got a wicked tough mask for my tractor and I could just use an arm to hold stuff on it sometimes.
Only because I use my forks for a lot of other stuff and I think the grapple would get in the way. Also, true grapple will have a little more “bottom” to it for small brush, etc and won’t be as long out front for maneuvering in woods and rolling up piles of brush, etc. I’ve been doing a lot of this work with my forks, and I get by, but not as handy as I’d like. I don’t mind swapping attachments as needed.

/ Sway my grapple decision. Homestead/CTA #30  
Sorry for the long post….

I’ve intended to get a grapple for my Kubota LX3310 since day one, and have searched the options extensively. Only reason I haven’t purchased is “paralysis by analysis”. Just can’t decide.

I know the “rake” style grapples are very popular among CUT owners with generally lighter weight and increased dump clearance. However, I feel that the “scoop” type grapples (with longer, horizontal bottom tines) are better suited to my purpose. Granted, this is the only style of grapple I have experience operating.

90% of usage will be gathering/moving/loading brush piles (tree tops, grape vines, dead fall, etc.), moving logs and firewood. Maybe occasional rock moving. I’m sure I’ll find other uses. I don’t envision much need for digging into the ground to dig out roots, rocks, etc.

I’ve looked at many brands to include EA, precision mfg, vernig, RK, etc. I know the EA wicked rakes are very popular, and I think I understand why, but I just don’t think they best suit my purpose.
If I did end up with a rake style grapple, I think I’d like one with longer, more curved/forward pointing tines to slide along the ground rather than dig into the ground. I seem to have more occasion where I’d like not to disrupt the ground while picking things up. In fact, I’ve been “getting along” pretty well with forks for a year or so, but it’s time to get a proper grapple. (Not interested in adding a grapple to forks)

So, I’ve narrowed down to these two choices:
Homestead implements precision root grapple (55”/302#)
And:
CTA extreme grapple (50”/210#)

At this point I’m leaning toward CTA. Before I pull the trigger…

My questions for the field are:
1. Considering the above, is there anything I’m missing that the “rake” style grapple will do that the “scoop” type won’t??

2. Considering these two choices, is there any major dis/advantages to either one for my purpose that I may have overlooked?

3. To Anyone with experience with these specific grapples: what do you love/wish were different about them?

Talk me into/out of one of these options.

Thanks all. I appreciate your informed opinions.
I have a grapple that looks very similar to the CTA you have a link to and I love it.

TBH I've never tried the other type you have linked but it doesn't look as versatile to me. I think that it "may" be better with sticks and branches, but wouldn't do nearly as good if carrying rocks or logs/stumps.

Or at least it looks that way to me.

I could be wrong.