Swimming Pool options

/ Swimming Pool options #11  
A little bit different approach which is used with ponds but may or may not work for this application; I was asking a farmer about the windmill next to his pond. He uses it to run an air compressor to keep the pond aerated; stating that keeps the algae from forming.

/ Swimming Pool options #12  
We've had swimming pools for 40 years now. In NJ, we covered it during the winter with a water bagged, impervious cover. Could pull the cover in the morning and have the pool swim ready in the afternoon. Here in Va now for 20 years, we cover it with a dark safety cover that is porous. Takes 3 or 4 days to a week before it is swim ready, not because of any algae but because of silt that goes through the cover during the winter.

Have an off line chlorinator here in Va similar to what we had in NJ. Works well. Only real problem is getting the stuck top off it to put more chlorine tabs in. An inline one would be better for this, as it would be held in place by the pump/filter discharge lines.

In NJ, I often just threw tabs into the bottom of the pool, as it was concrete. Cannot do that here with linered pool. The strong chlorine destroys the liner.

Chlorinator and a pH meter (cannot accurately read pH with solutions nor those dip tabs) and a maintenance dose of algaecide once/week and a "crawly" cleaner gizmo working off the discharge of the pump (where it goes into the pool) make for almost troublefree operation. Get everything right, generally with a big dose of shock chlorine and baking soda; pH stays put.

Ralph

/ Swimming Pool options #13  
^^^^
As pointed out previously; he wants it dog-safe.

/ Swimming Pool options #14  
Chlorinator and a pH meter

Get everything right, generally with a big dose of shock chlorine and baking soda; pH stays put.

He doesn't want it chlorinated because of the dogs. He's asking about alternatives to that.

/ Swimming Pool options #15  
Yes I got that but the device he is asking about still uses chlorine just a lot less according to the reviews. If I still had my pool I would get one. I too know people that have ditched their expensive salt systems because of problems.

/ Swimming Pool options #16  
A little bit different approach which is used with ponds but may or may not work for this application; I was asking a farmer about the windmill next to his pond. He uses it to run an air compressor to keep the pond aerated; stating that keeps the algae from forming.

Bubblers are fine for smaller volumes, but they don't really keep it clean. I have a smaller pond next to the pool with a waterfall that creates bubbles and it's still green. I don't mind it there since the goldfish eat the algae. He might be able to do something that pushes more air, but at what cost?

/ Swimming Pool options #17  
Yes I got that but the device he is asking about still uses chlorine .
For the size of pool he's dealing with, I saw one option that uses the device only, no salt, no chlorine. The new cartridge replaces the paper filter cartridge. But I haven't seen any pricing.

/ Swimming Pool options #18  
If u properly maintain your pool at between 1 and 3 parts per million chlorine level then the water is safe for ur dogs to drink. If u don’t like the idea of your dogs drinking chlorinated water that’s another issue which can only be resolved in your own thoughts. There is an excellent pool maintenance website called “trouble free pool” (one word) that has all the information you need to know to maintain ur pool pH, alkalinity, and chlorine levels.

/ Swimming Pool options
Thank you for the replies. This isn't a normal swimming pool. Think of it more like a water fountain type of yard decoration that I enjoy going into, but also my dogs enjoy drinking out of.

My dogs are very special to us. My wife is a PhD Nurse that is so far past crazy that you can't even measure how out of control she is with their well being of our dogs.

Our boy is the number 8 Akita in the country right now. Just before the shutdown, he beat the number one Akita. He is the dad to our puppy. The mom was the number 3 female Akita in the country and ranked number 14 overall. She passed away right after having the puppies. Their daughter is in the pictures, and she is so much more then we had hoped for in creating the perfect Akita from breeding them together. We has 6 puppies and over 30 people wanting them from all over the country.

My wife will never allow anything dangerous for the dogs in the pool. It will never be covered. When we are not using it, we drain it.

As I see it, I have three options. Continue to fill it and dump it over and over again. Use a salt water system, which is safe for the dogs to drink, but seems to have a lot of issues with corrosion and pitting of tile and concrete. Or maybe this Nature2 system?

My question is if the Nature2 system actually works? Friends have it and they say it does. They are in Northern CA and it's unlikely that I will ever visit them and see their pool in person.

The pool is an ongoing project that is also tied into a large back deck addition along with redoing the siding of the house. I'm in no rush to finish it, and work on it when I have the time and extra cash. For now, it's just a nice way to relax after a hot day working in the Texas heat and humidity.

Kaida two weeks ago when she was 15 weeks old

IMG_5737.JPG

IMG_5741.JPG

Her daddy, Matsu

105569244_10223216273977860_7795240452791696162_o.jpg

Grandson and friends in the pool with just a foot of water in it so they can splash around

95477622_10222701761515370_9150234108218048512_o.jpg

/ Swimming Pool options #20  
Will the algae green water bother them? It is a natural plant/organism after all. Some algae is, but there are different types.

One other thing to look at is UV control. Some of the pod pump/filter units include UV lights that treat the water as it passes.