Swimming Pool options

/ Swimming Pool options #61  
I have a small, in ground pool that I'm building myself. It's only 3 feet deep and 12x16 feet wide. It holds about 1,700 gallons. My original plan was to do salt water because I heard that it's safer for dogs to drink. Recently I've learned that the small amount of salt in a pool is still very corrosive and there are a lot of people that have switched to chlorine because of issues with the salt. I don't want to have chlorine because I think it's harmful to my dogs.

A friend that also shows Akita's has something called Nature2 for her in ground pool. It's a huge pool, and the water looks fantastic. I don't know all the details for her pool, but they are very happy with it and they are highly recommending it.

Does anybody know anything about Nature2 for swimming pools?

Is this too good to be true?

Home shows their products and I'm trying to read through it to see what I should get, or if I should go with them

Amazon.com : Nature2 W2171 Express Mineral Pool Sanitizer, Above Ground : Swimming Pool Cleaning Tools : Garden & Outdoor could it be this cheap and simple to have clear water for the summer?

Since my pool is not done, we just fill it for the weekend and then dump it, or add bromine tablets for my hot tub to the pool fountain, which gives me another week of use. This is very wasteful and I'm hoping to get to the point where I can fill it up and keep it full without it turning green on me. then when temps drop in the Fall, I'll drain it and keep it empty until it gets warm again the following year.

we have a salt water pool. Remember the salt is the source for a salt water chlorinator. The chlorine is generated by the chlorinator. The salt level is very low as is the chlorine level

Andy

/ Swimming Pool options
I'm still on the fence on what I want to do. I've re thought my position on chlorine, and you have made some good points for it, but my wife is super crazy. Image the most crazy mom and sheltered child you have ever known, and she is worse!!! I also don't like how I feel itchy all over after being in chlorine. It's just not an option.

I understand that salt is converted into chlorine, but from what I've read, it doesn't affect you the same when you swim in it. I don't actually swim, I just like to float around in the pool and drink a few beers. I find this to be very relaxing after working on projects during the day.

The Nature2 system sounds better to me then the salt water system, but I'm not convinced that it works. Too good to be true type of thing for me right now. But that's really what I'm leaning towards.

/ Swimming Pool options #63  
I will throw out another thought, vacuuming your pool. I had an above ground and did it by hand with a pole or climbed in and did it, which was usually easier. I always wanted one those that crawled around on the bottom automatically but I do not think they work on above ground. Just keeping the pool vacuumed goes a long way on keeping the water clear.

I'll give a second to one of those crawly gismos... A pool robot! If you go to the expense go with a fully automatic unit that is completely separate from the pool system. I've done all three.. a vacuum at the end of a pole, a unit that is attached to a "in" line on the swimming pool pump and a fully independent unit that gets plugged into an electric outlet to get its power.
Vacuum on a pole is just a pain, a unit hooked to an "IN" fitting on the pool useually does a very substandard job and misses large sections of the pool. A cheep stand alone unit does just marginally better than a pool system unit.. I bought one and returned it after about 3 weeks. Now a good one will clean your whole pool (minus steps and such) .

/ Swimming Pool options #64  
I'll take another look into chlorine. I should add that I used to use chlorine in my hot tub and over time, it started to irritate my skin. I would get out of the hot tub and be very itchy all over. I switched to Bromine and the itching went away. I hate testing the water all the time and having to add chemicals to it once or twice a week, but that just might be what I end up doing with the pool.

Thank you for the links, I'm going to take a little time and see what I can learn on those sites.

I rarely ever add chemicals to my pool, I check it every few weeks and do what is needed, which is usually nothing. If I get a large rain event and have to pump water out I'll need to add salt, if I get a lot of "stuff" leaves and such in the pool, or have a very heavy bather usage I normally shock it. As far as salt the recommended amount needed is between 1500 ppm- 5000ppm, I normally stay in the lower end of that around 2000-2500 ppm at which point you can barely taste it in the water if you are trying.. just using the pool you never think to yourself that it is salty.
The Nature 2 thing works in addition to chlorine or Bromine, I used to use one in my hot tub.. didn't really seem to do anything. I could not tell the difference between when I was using it, and when I wasn't.. I tested it over a period of a couple years... I think its just a gimmick to get your money. YMMV

Last edited:
   / Swimming Pool options #65  
I will throw out another thought, vacuuming your pool. I had an above ground and did it by hand with a pole or climbed in and did it, which was usually easier. I always wanted one those that crawled around on the bottom automatically but I do not think they work on above ground. Just keeping the pool vacuumed goes a long way on keeping the water clear.

We have a suction side cleaner (more or less a circle with brushes on the bottom and a U shaped piece in the water flow that flips back and forth. It does a good job from what I can see.

I'm still on the fence on what I want to do. I've re thought my position on chlorine, and you have made some good points for it, but my wife is super crazy. Image the most crazy mom and sheltered child you have ever known, and she is worse!!! I also don't like how I feel itchy all over after being in chlorine. It's just not an option.

I understand that salt is converted into chlorine, but from what I've read, it doesn't affect you the same when you swim in it. I don't actually swim, I just like to float around in the pool and drink a few beers. I find this to be very relaxing after working on projects during the day.

The Nature2 system sounds better to me then the salt water system, but I'm not convinced that it works. Too good to be true type of thing for me right now. But that's really what I'm leaning towards.

Looks like the Nature 2 system has little balls that contain silver and copper in the cartridges, they can break and end up inside the pool: Nature2 Fusion - Further Reading | Trouble Free Pool and Nature2 | Trouble Free Pool have info on them.

Sounds like it's not uncommon for the cartridges to break and release the balls, so I would not use them in your pool with your valuable dogs.

Aaron Z

/ Swimming Pool options #66  
We had a chlorine pool in one of our houses when we lived in town. Other than when shocking it, the chlorine level in the pool water was about the same as or a little lower than it was in the tap water. Our dog drank out of it without any health problems, he eventually died at 14 or so from a pulmonary embolism many years after we moved to a house with no pool.

Most people give their dogs chlorinated city water all their lives without ill affect. Just don't overdo the chlorination and keep the dog out of it for 24 hours after shocking and you'll be fine.

/ Swimming Pool options #67  

So Eddie... any updates on this? how did the pool turn out?

/ Swimming Pool options
Other projects keep getting pushed ahead of this. We use it unfinished because it holds water and it's really nice when it's hot out, but finding the time to work on it just isn't there.

On the bright side, I now have a really nice fence around the vegetable garden and the dog yard has 3 separate pastures for them to run around in.

To compound it, we have finally agreed on a plan on how to add on to the house, and I'm working on getting the area that needs a new shed built to store everything that stored in the area that we are currently storing our lawn mower and log splitter, along with too much other stuff.

So far this year, I haven't even hooked up the bush cutter to my tractor, which means the jungle is taking over and it's only going to get worse!!!!

/ Swimming Pool options #69  
Other projects keep getting pushed ahead of this. We use it unfinished because it holds water and it's really nice when it's hot out, but finding the time to work on it just isn't there.

On the bright side, I now have a really nice fence around the vegetable garden and the dog yard has 3 separate pastures for them to run around in.

To compound it, we have finally agreed on a plan on how to add on to the house, and I'm working on getting the area that needs a new shed built to store everything that stored in the area that we are currently storing our lawn mower and log splitter, along with too much other stuff.

So far this year, I haven't even hooked up the bush cutter to my tractor, which means the jungle is taking over and it's only going to get worse!!!!

Sounds like life around here as well! Always something to do first!!

I let half of one of my fields go without mowing for two years, kind of an experiment , I'll not do that again, I almost have it back under control!