Switch Location?

/ Switch Location? #1  

moship

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130 HST 4x4 Kubota L4740-3 HST
Switch Location for Electic Chute Deflector (Snow Blower)

Reference Tractor: L3130

For those of you with the L2179 Electric Chute Deflector option on a front mounted snow blower, such as L2174A or L2185 snow blower. Can you provide pictures on where you mounted the switch, and if you had to do it over again would you keep it in the same location?

I just picked up a new-to-me snow blower L2185 and could use your help.

Thanks!

Last edited:
   / Switch Location? #3  
It needs to be convenient for YOU. Mine is hydraulic from the 3rd function so it is right on the joy stick.

I think I would look at putting it on the joystick if you could find a switch to mount on the lever or mount it nearby on the inner fender.

I would not want to reach up to the dash for it as I change height several times while clearing the drive.

/ Switch Location? #4  
Thanks kevinj
I like the joy stick mount idea and had been thinking of dash mount, but I think you are right about the reach. Have a momentary dpco switch with connectors very exposed. Would like to enclose it in something and then attach to the stick. Any suggestion on how to do are welcome.
Jim

/ Switch Location?
yooper jim,

I ended up mounting the switch on the right hand side of the seat in the cover for the PTO lever and other controls. On my tractor there were 3 unused slots and I mounted the switch in one of these (at the end of the slot). I just had to grind the slot slightly to get the switch to fit and it was clear shot to drop the wires under the tractor.

FYI... Radio Shack sells some small inexpensive aluminum project boxes that would make a good switch housing and provide a degree of water protection. I did not see them until after my project was done.

The location works for me as I do not need to change the chute deflection often. I rotate the chute more frequently and getting use to pushing the control lever hard right takes some getting use to (needs to go past the detent).

I also used a 4 pin round metal trailer connector up front to use as a disconnect and swapped coiled wire from the chute motor to front of tractor.

Perhaps I'll take some pictures later to clarify all of this.

Last edited:
   / Switch Location?
Here are pictures of the switch location for chute deflection and electrical plug and coiled wire on the front of the tractor. I drilled and tapped the quick attach part that stays on the tractor to mount the 4-pin metal trailer connector on.

Attachments

• Chute Switch Location.jpg
    Chute Switch Location.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 186
  • Chute Connector and Wire.jpg
    Chute Connector and Wire.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 180
   / Switch Location? #7  
Thanks for the pics and option ideas. I like the trailer connector and coiled wire idea. Not sure I want to put the switch in the wheel well though. I have no empty slots either. Think this needs more thought (and several beers). I don't use the defector that much either, but would use it much more, if it was not manual. Will post pics when I'm done.

/ Switch Location?
yooper jim,

I would not want to put the switch in the fender for fear of all the water/salt spray it would see either. The switch is in the PTO/3-Pt Lever cover which is a simple sheet metal cover that sits on top of the seat decking. It is protected from wheel splash and anything else harming the switch or wires.

Another option is to make something like I did for my auxillary lights. This is located along the left hand side of the seat. The design took advantage of existing bolts and factory holes.

It would be nice if the switch lever was a bit longer. The short switch is somewhat difficult to find when wearing heavy gloves. The problem is finding something with a longer lever and still have some degree of water protection.

Attachments

• Light Switch.jpg
    Light Switch.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 119