T273 Transmission Toast?

/ T273 Transmission Toast?
I saw a similar post by myyaz23. My initial assessment is the splines looks pretty good. The couple just gave out it appears. Will know more when I removed the drive shaft later today. Thanks for your insight Bud Soda - spot on!!

/ T273 Transmission Toast? #12  
Just saw this thread. How did you make out? I was thinking I posted some pictures on this process, so if you need any help, just let us know. Ill subscribe to your thread.

Just saw this thread. How did you make out? I was thinking I posted some pictures on this process, so if you need any help, just let us know. Ill subscribe to your thread.

I appreciate your help myyaz23. Your post was a bit part of the reason why I'm sure I can get this done. Parts ordered from Idaho (shout out to Jordan). I cut a hole over the driveshaft and removed it. Definitely some wear on the transmission input side, but the splines look reasonable. Makes me wonder why the metal on the couple on the tranny sides is so much softer than that on the motor side. Motor couple was clean and pretty. Obvious defect in engineering that I missed based on all the posts. Quick question. Did you just crank down the shaft bolt? There's no place on the tranny shaft with a missing spline? I'm hoping I can bite into the splines that look good, but still secure the bolt on the u-joint the bites into the shaft. fingers crossed.
Pete

/ T273 Transmission Toast? #14  
Yes, I just slide the collar on as far as I could onto splines. IIRC, I may have used a prybar and mallet to persuade it on more than just my arms could push. Then i just tightened the bolt pretty snug and all has been well since the repair. I wish I would have made the hole bigger as it would have made it easier. Not a lot of space for hands in there. Then again, having that hole is really a safety risk. Mine is mostly covered by the floor mat but a little exposed. Dont want a shoe string to get down in there and wrap around the shaft.

Yes, I just slide the collar on as far as I could onto splines. IIRC, I may have used a prybar and mallet to persuade it on more than just my arms could push. Then i just tightened the bolt pretty snug and all has been well since the repair. I wish I would have made the hole bigger as it would have made it easier. Not a lot of space for hands in there. Then again, having that hole is really a safety risk. Mine is mostly covered by the floor mat but a little exposed. Dont want a shoe string to get down in there and wrap around the shaft.

Definitely a tight space. I too am a bit worried about the whole in the floor. It is not covered by floor mats. However, I think I can put the chunk of plastic back in the whole and duck tape it back together. Not the first duck tape my tractor has seen :laughing:. I'll post an update with pics when I have the shaft replaced. Thanks for your help!

/ T273 Transmission Toast? #16  
Definitely a tight space. I too am a bit worried about the whole in the floor. It is not covered by floor mats. However, I think I can put the chunk of plastic back in the whole and duck tape it back together. Not the first duck tape my tractor has seen :laughing:. I'll post an update with pics when I have the shaft replaced. Thanks for your help!

How old is that TYM 273 ?
Duct tape to repair a 290 hour tractor?

/ T273 Transmission Toast? #17  

Keep in mind, drilling the hole is not the proper way to replace the driveshaft. It was meant as a time saving method, so you would not have to take off all the plastic and such. In essence, self-inflicted duck tapery... I use gorilla tape.

2008. Nothing serious. The body is lexan plastic and it has cracked, so a few strips of tape. A few cotter pins rattle, like on the ROPs, so I've added tape and/or rubber grommets to be less annoyed. I finally placed a sleeve of rubber over the end of the muffler. I'm on upgraded muffler #3, and the muffler mounting bracket still broke. Muffler end pings off the frame like a SOB if you don't dampen. Just tractor things. . .

Wait? Drilling a hole in the floor is not the correct way to replace the driveshaft? :laughing:

/ T273 Transmission Toast? #20  
I appreciate your help myyaz23. Your post was a bit part of the reason why I'm sure I can get this done. Parts ordered from Idaho (shout out to Jordan). I cut a hole over the driveshaft and removed it. Definitely some wear on the transmission input side, but the splines look reasonable. Makes me wonder why the metal on the couple on the tranny sides is so much softer than that on the motor side. Motor couple was clean and pretty. Obvious defect in engineering that I missed based on all the posts. Quick question. Did you just crank down the shaft bolt? There's no place on the tranny shaft with a missing spline? I'm hoping I can bite into the splines that look good, but still secure the bolt on the u-joint the bites into the shaft. fingers crossed.
Pete

I agree with regards to Jordan Sales! I am lucky enough to have purchased from them and close enough to get my parts and attachments from them. They are a wealth of knowledge regarding the tractors they sell and tractor use in general. They are never too busy to say hi whenever I drop in to get something or just ask a question. I try and steer people their way whenever I can at home or here on TBN.