T4 T5 TS TL TD TN what's the latest?

/ T4 T5 TS TL TD TN what's the latest? #1  

F3506

Silver Member
Tractor
Blue ones
So I'm really wanting to upgrade to at least a power shuttle, if not some sort of power shift. Just trying to understand what all the options are now, and what model is what. It looks as if many of the new T4 series are in in the 90 - 120 engine hp range, which used to be the lower end of the T5 series (if you don't count the years CNH skipped the 4-5-6 designation and used letters and HP numbers for models. But even that was confusing as to what model was what.

So are the new T4.90 - T.120 models a Turk Tractor, or a Fiat from Italy, or is there some crossover? Are the Turk tractors now as bad as their early opinions? Any experience with something less than 10 years old would be appreciated as to how it works and where it's from.

I don't see many used T5 models for sale around here unless you drop back to the T5050, T5060, T5070 models or older, which I'm not opposed to. The newer stuff seems to be T4 with similar HP numbers to the small T5 stuff.

With the current globilization of stuff, I'm not opposed to leaving old blue if that's what's best, but Kubota has always been rather light and the JD e series stuff seems to have a shorter wheelbase which in my mind, both lead to a rougher ride. Don't know if MF has a good reputation anymore or not. Not sure how the korean stuff works on the larger than compact models.

Current tractor had the AC die while baling for the 2nd summer in a row, it's a mechanical shuttle, and will need a clutch soon, so it's a great time to cut my losses and move on. Especially while the baling with no ac is fresh on my mind. Just trying to do my homework and know what to look for / at. Brand new is out of my price range for what I do with it.

Any input or advice is appreciated.

/ T4 T5 TS TL TD TN what's the latest? #2  
I have owned a cab NH T4.95, 12 speed hydraulic shuttle with 665TL FEL going on 5 years. It is an earlier “Y” series Italian tractor but they were also making some units in Turkey. Mine does have a real parking brake (which to me is a must have)in lieu of the parking pawl on the range shift selector which was a characteristic of the Turkey units. When I was shopping I also looked at the Kubota 9960 and the JD 5100E. The Kubota was some 2000# lighter than the NH, had a small radiator, crappy floor mat in the cab and the exhaust stack was impairing the line of sight - glad I did not buy the Kubota. The Main problem with the 5100E was poor loader visibility due to the slope of the hood and price. I have been pretty well satisfied with the NH and would buy it again over the Kubota and JD.
I would have preferred a cab low hour T5050, 60 or 70 but hard to come by and pricey.

/ T4 T5 TS TL TD TN what's the latest?
I've read that other places. Is that a good rule of thumb as to the parking pawl vs the hand brake for Fiat vs. Turk? Do you know what years the Italy based 4 series were available and when they switched over to all Turk production?

I've never had a tractor with a Park on the gear shift, but if it works anything like a car does, I can't see how that would be useful in a tractor. Let's back up and line up a 1" hole for a 1" pin to drop in and then let the tractor roll 3" - 4" when shifted into park.

I've always had blue tractors. I test drove a similar sized kubota at the same place I bought my new holland from. I test drove the blue one first. I didn't make it to the first turn in the orange tractor on the same test drive before I realized I didn't like the lighter weight ride.

But the positive side to orange these days is it's all made in house, not a global slap together of different parts. I can see that reflected in the current pricing of the T5050-T5070 models even though they are a global product too.

I've read that other places. Is that a good rule of thumb as to the parking pawl vs the hand brake for Fiat vs. Turk? Do you know what years the Italy based 4 series were available and when they switched over to all Turk production?

I've never had a tractor with a Park on the gear shift, but if it works anything like a car does, I can't see how that would be useful in a tractor. Let's back up and line up a 1" hole for a 1" pin to drop in and then let the tractor roll 3" - 4" when shifted into park.

I've always had blue tractors. I test drove a similar sized kubota at the same place I bought my new holland from. I test drove the blue one first. I didn't make it to the first turn in the orange tractor on the same test drive before I realized I didn't like the lighter weight ride.

But the positive side to orange these days is it's all made in house, not a global slap together of different parts. I can see that reflected in the current pricing of the T5050-T5070 models even though they are a global product too.

/ T4 T5 TS TL TD TN what's the latest? #5  
The parking pawl became the standard on the 4 series after the ZDJY series, IIRC. Then 2-3 years ago, the hand brake became an option according to the local dealer. I have seen models with the 12 speed hi-lo tranny, electronic draft control and fender switches made in Italy. I do not know if current production is all Turk or split with Italy.

I tried a model with the parking pawl on a low slope. It may have moved 1 to 1-1/2 inches when letting off the brake. I did not like it and told the dealer if he wanted to sell me a tractor, he had to find me an Italian Y series.

On another note, the newer models have the option of factory third function. My dealer says the WR Long system is better than the factory.

/ T4 T5 TS TL TD TN what's the latest? #6  
I've got our new T4.75 last year, I do have the parking pawl, but for the most part I never use it unless we are working
around/under the tractor. I will probable add the parking brake but I've found that I have really not needed it up here
in our flatlands.

As for the tractor it is great, I could not ask for a better tractor than this one. I've got about 185 hours on her and
it's a joy to run mowing and snowblowing.

The other day the wife cleaned my mower deck and I did park on a incline and used the parking paw, easy on and easy
off. All our equipment changes are in my shop so we are working on a flat surface, I usually backup and the wife hooks
up the lowers when we are not using the quick attach.

Don't know if any of this helps but we are very happy with ours.

Thanks Thumper. So where was your tractor made?

The hi-lo button sounds like a nice option, but I think I can do without the electronic draft control. I think a lever works just fine if I need it. And thanks coolnature for the tip on when the serial number production switched. That will help since most of the photos of the tags I've seen online don't seem to have a country of origin printed on them.

Ours being a new one came from Turkey.

When you got yours, did you see any mention in the sales literature, or perhaps in your owners manual about the dual command transmission option in the 4.75? I could deal with keeping my current tractor and getting a smaller one around the size of the 4.75 if it had things like a power shuttle and the dual command transmission.