TAILGATES

/ TAILGATES #1  

DIRTROAD

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF231, MF240, CAT D4K2
I need a good resource for tailgates. Does anyone know of one?? Hopefully on the east coast would be nice. I've been looking online and haven't found much other than JC Whitney. Thanks

/ TAILGATES #2  
You did not mention what you need it for, but LMC Truck has a lot of stuff for older trucks.

/ TAILGATES #3  
I don't know where in SC you're located, but have you checked local salvage yards? There's a large salvage yard on Gap Creek Rd in Greer that has a lot of complete takeoff pickup beds, if you're local to the upstate.

/ TAILGATES #4  
I need a good resource for tailgates. Does anyone know of one?? Hopefully on the east coast would be nice. I've been looking online and haven't found much other than JC Whitney. Thanks

You mean pickup truck tailgates?

The best source is a company that installs utility bodies (Reading, Stahl, etc.). They take off dozens of pickup beds each month and replace them with utility bodies. They have ne pickup beds and tailgates stacked up out back like cordwood.

/ TAILGATES
I have two dodge trucks and both need tailgates. I was hoping somone knew of a source for a heavier duty than OEM gate. The ones made nowadays just don't last very good.

Baucom, I will check Gap Creek. I hadn't thought of it. The only ones Hi-Bridge had were rated "work truck".

/ TAILGATES #6  
I was hoping somone knew of a source for a heavier duty than OEM gate. The ones made nowadays just don't last very good.

OK, just out of curiosity, what happened to the originals and why do you say they don't last very good? I've never had to replace a tailgate on any of my pickups, so maybe if I knew what you did to yours, I could be sure to avoid that with mine.:cool:

/ TAILGATES
Bird, Let's just say that I am rough on a tailgate. I don't know where to draw the line between use and abuse. All I do know is that years of hauling will wear one out. I might just have to build one out of steel plate. maybe half inch would hold up?

/ TAILGATES #9  
OK, just out of curiosity, what happened to the originals and why do you say they don't last very good? I've never had to replace a tailgate on any of my pickups, so maybe if I knew what you did to yours, I could be sure to avoid that with mine.:cool:
Could it be because of these letters on the tail gate?
ODEGD :D

/ TAILGATES #10  
I have a 96 diesel dodge and 2 weeks ago the had a sale on wood pellets at Sam's club and when the forklift operator placed the the 2ND pallet on the truck he rested it on the tailgate broke the straps no damage to tailgate. I have put a lot of weight on tailgate but never hurt the actual gate just the straps.