Talk me in/out of a 3038E

/ Talk me in/out of a 3038E #11  
I shopped for months. In my area, the LS was the best bang for the buck. It is a bigger and heavier machine but I do not plan to mow with it. Both FEL and 3PH specs are excellent if that matters to you....2700 lbs.

/ Talk me in/out of a 3038E
I don’t have any LS dealers around. Well, there’s a big New Holland dealer. Aren’t those just LS’? I’m a bit confused by their model options. Maybe I’ll just have to stop by and check them out. Always thought of them as big Ag tractors.

/ Talk me in/out of a 3038E #13  
My neighbor just got a 3038E a few months ago. It looks good, but helping him out the other day I discovered a few things that did not impress me. The PTO shaft only has one switch. No gear lever to free up the spline when you're trying to connect an implement. So if the PTO is not running, the spline is locked on the back end. You have to turn the drive shaft on the implement to get it to line up. This can be very problematic with bigger implements. My tractor has a gear lever that when disengaged, let's the spline turn freely by hand, making the hook up a piece of cake.

There doesn't appear to be a "off-seat" cancel switch, that allows the tractor to keep running when you're not actually sitting in the seat. Sure, you can work around it, but another PITA to deal with.

He's also had several issues with it, in the first 50 hours. Dealer has had it for days and weeks at a time. When it runs, it runs good. But I also noticed it doesn't have the bucket capacity, nor the lifting capacity of other tractors, especially mine.

If I'm not mistaken the 3038E also has a exhaust regen system. (thanx EPA... dumbazzes) May not be an issue for you, but it was a big issue for me, when I was deciding between JD & others.

A good dealer is a major part of the puzzle. Especially if you need repair/warranty work done. So whatever brand you decide, make sure you are comfortable with the dealer.

/ Talk me in/out of a 3038E #14  
The JD3038E is near identical to the Yanmar YT235. I've enjoyed the performance of it. The regen has happened a few times and does not interfere with working.

/ Talk me in/out of a 3038E #15  
Yea I致e pretty much ruled out the JD. You need to step up to the R for important features and then it痴 very expensive. There痴 the 4m but then you are really stepping up in weight and size.

Just realized I have a Kioti dealer nearby too. So looking at those along with the L3901.

Ron, I think you are on the right track. If you want to come up and look at or even run my Kioti a bit in the gravel pile, your welcome to. I am up in Branson. You don't say just where in NW Ar you are located, but it wouldn't be too far.

/ Talk me in/out of a 3038E #16  
Brush hogging and running a PTO chipper both use the PTO pretty hard. My Branson has a neutral position for the two speed PTO which does make it possible for me to turn the PTO stub on the tractor when I'm hooking up an implement. It's also a safety feature if I want to get close to the PTO while the tractor is running- I turn off the electric PTO switch of course but I also put the PTO in neutral. Both the switch and the shifter would have to engage to turn the PTO on. I usually turn the engine off when I'm messing with the PTO or implement but I don't have to.

I did not consider Deere due to their agressive and illegal use of copyright laws to keep farmers from working on their Deeres. And the local dealer is mostly a lawn tractor and mower dealer, not a tractor dealer. I did shop Kubota L3301/3901 but ended up with a Branson with more features for less money. The Branson dealer being a really excellent dealer was a factor too.

If you plan on chipping material 5" or larger consider more HP. I have an 8" Woodmaxx chipper and find that my 32 pto HP can hande large material but I have to slow the feed speed to the minimum. The engine power is plenty for a 5' rotary and loader/grapple work.

/ Talk me in/out of a 3038E
^^^ I’m thinking L4701 or similar from other brands at this point. May go check out the New Holland dealer.

/ Talk me in/out of a 3038E #18  
After operating two range hydro's for years I would never buy one with a three range being available!!!

/ Talk me in/out of a 3038E #19  
I don稚 have any LS dealers around. Well, there痴 a big New Holland dealer. Aren稚 those just LS? I知 a bit confused by their model options. Maybe I値l just have to stop by and check them out. Always thought of them as big Ag tractors.

Some are made by LS, but based on pricing differences, that darker blue paint must be really expensive.

Map shows LS dealers in Russelville, Clarksville, Greenbrier, and Fort Smith among others.

LS Tractor

/ Talk me in/out of a 3038E #20  
Art nailed it, no way no how would I buy a 2 range hydro. My brother has a Kioti, they offer a lot of features for the money.