Talk me into buying

/ Talk me into buying #1  

SoInLineman

Tractor
None yet
Just built a house on 10 acres. I have a 500' gravel driveway to maintain, 7 or so acres to bush hog, 2 acres to mow and 1 acre of woods. I have really been wanting to buy a tractor lately, but I don't know if I should buy an old used tractor for $5000 and under or invest $20000+ for a new tractor. Has anyone on here bought a brand new tractor with front loader and all the fixings and regretted it? Or is anyone getting by with an older tractor wishing they could upgrade to a new one? Part of me thinks an old Ford 2000 would get the job done for what I need, bug I can't help but to think a new tractor would be a much more enjoyable experience.

/ Talk me into buying #2  
I guess I fill both categories. I had a Mitsubishi D2350 for about fifteen years. It did what I asked of it whenever I asked - mostly. Sometimes there were repairs needed but all in all it was a wise purchase. It was a gray market tractor and getting long of tooth so repair parts started to become scarce. I sold it. I purchased a brand new Kubota L2501 - roughly the same rated horsepower. I like the new HST transmission for mowing and also for loader use as front and back changes require no gear changes. The old tractor was manual steering and two wheel drive. The new one is power steering and four wheel drive. Either would do the job for me but the newer tractor is more refined. I stayed with 25 horsepower to keep things simple with no computer or diesel particulate filter. I've also got ten acres, by the way. The Ford may suit you fine. Be advised there may be maintenance or repairs involved. Used compact tractors are in short supply here and prices tend to be high. If it matters, you can purchase many new tractors with zero interest loans and even get discounts on implements at the time of purchase.

/ Talk me into buying #3  
Old, multiple operator tractors can be maintenance nightmares.

The final year for Ford 2000 production was 1975 ~~ 46 years ago.

Who will work on the Ford? Where will you get parts?

Can you trouble shoot hydraulics?

In relatively low cost, rural Florida tractor shops bill $90/hours for tractor mechanic time.

Buy a <26 horsepower from 100 cubic inch displacement engine, 2,700 pound bare weight tractor with a 3-range HST transmission. All the tractor you can buy without the complexity of Tier IV emissions paraphernalia.

The downside to work-around-the-rule tractors is they spew copious diesel particulates.

The Kubota L2501 was first in the market. Every manufacturer now produces at least one model with above specifications.

I have 7 or so acres to bush hog.

If you want a cab tractor to bush hog with a 60" or 72" mower you will have to buy a $6,000 more expensive model.

Last edited:
   / Talk me into buying #4  
Just built a house on 10 acres. I have a 500' gravel driveway to maintain, 7 or so acres to bush hog, 2 acres to mow and 1 acre of woods. I have really been wanting to buy a tractor lately, but I don't know if I should buy an old used tractor for $5000 and under or invest $20000+ for a new tractor. Has anyone on here bought a brand new tractor with front loader and all the fixings and regretted it? Or is anyone getting by with an older tractor wishing they could upgrade to a new one? Part of me thinks an old Ford 2000 would get the job done for what I need, bug I can't help but to think a new tractor would be a much more enjoyable experience.
To me it's where are you? Age? Financial situation? Weather (snow)? Hilly-flat?
So many pieces to the puzzle.
I bought new and it was loaded and I bought attachments at the same time and I buy more. I'm 68, retired 7 years, no kids...why not? No regrets at all and enjoy it.

/ Talk me into buying
To me it's where are you? Age? Financial situation? Weather (snow)? Hilly-flat?
So many pieces to the puzzle.
I bought new and it was loaded and I bought attachments at the same time and I buy more. I'm 68, retired 7 years, no kids...why not? No regrets at all and enjoy it.
Good questions. Land is slightly rolling. I live in southern Indiana where snow normally isn't a big issue. I'm 26, I could buy a new tractor out right, but Im planning to build a pole barn in the near future so would probably finance a new one if I go that route.

/ Talk me into buying #6  
Good questions. Land is slightly rolling. I live in southern Indiana where snow normally isn't a big issue. I'm 26, I could buy a new tractor out right, but Im planning to build a pole barn in the near future so would probably finance a new one if I go that route.
I bought a 20 year old Ford 8N when I was 33. I refurbished it, and used it until I was 63. I still own it!
I bought a 16 year old Ford 3400 TLB when I was 46, refurbished it, and sold it when I was 79.
I bought a 21 year old Ford 1920 in 2010, I was 70, and refurbished it, and I still own it.
I bought a 2006 Kubota L48TLB in 2019, I was 79, and refurbished it, and I still own it (it is a really magnificent machine).
I am going on 81 now, and have never bought a new tractor!
As an interesting aside: My 2006 Kubota (253 hr.) L48 TLB is reportedly worth 30% more than I paid for it, not even 2 years ago.

Last edited:
   / Talk me into buying #7  
If I were you, I'd be looking at 25hp or so compact, of a size of my first tractor, which is to say, like a Kubota B2650 or such. The L 2510 to me is too large for the power it has, and only exists because of the 26 hp limit on non-fancy emission stuff. Yes, the larger tractor will have more loader capacity, probably, than the smaller tractor, and be better at box blading and other stuff where the extra heft is handy (500 ft drive is a piece of cake for 25hp, though.), but you'd sacrifice the handling of the smaller tractor. If money is no object, I'd take a look a the Deere R33/3820 models. These are beautifully made machines. But a 25 hp in the smallest size of CUT, larger than the SCUTs. is a good place to start and should keep you going for a good many years. The only thing that can get in your way with that, is if you want to go to a larger tractor, say 40 hp or more, your implements will likely be too small to cover your wheels.

Addendum: Oh yes, looking at a post above.. 3 Hydro ranges are much better than 2, for sure!! That's one of the things I regret about the NH TC26DA- not having a middle range to mow in.

/ Talk me into buying
I bought a 20 year old Ford 8N when I was 33. I refurbished it, and used it until I was 63. I still own it!
I bought a 16 year old Ford 3400 TLB when I was 46, refurbished it, and sold it when I was 79.
I bought a 21 year old Ford 1920 in 2010, I was 70, and refurbished it, and I still own it.
I bought a 2006 Kubota L48TLB in 2019, I was 79, and refurbished it, and I still own it (it is a really magnificent machine).
I am going on 81 now, and have never bought a new tractor!
As an interesting aside: My 2006 Kubota (253 hr.) L48 TLB is reportedly worth 30% more than I paid for it 2 years ago.
The used market is crazy right now, most dealers in my area do not have new inventory and everything used sells quick.

/ Talk me into buying
If I were you, I'd be looking at 25hp or so compact, of a size of my first tractor, which is to say, like a Kubota B2650 or such. The L 2510 to me is too large for the power it has, and only exists because of the 26 hp limit on non-fancy emission stuff. Yes, the larger tractor will have more loader capacity, probably, than the smaller tractor, and be better at box blading and other stuff where the extra heft is handy (500 ft drive is a piece of cake for 25hp, though.), but you'd sacrifice the handling of the smaller tractor. If money is no object, I'd take a look a the Deere R33/3820 models. These are beautifully made machines. But a 25 hp in the smallest size of CUT, larger than the SCUTs. is a good place to start and should keep you going for a good many years. The only thing that can get in your way with that, is if you want to go to a larger tractor, say 40 hp or more, your implements will likely be too small to cover your wheels.

Addendum: Oh yes, looking at a post above.. 3 Hydro ranges are much better than 2, for sure!! That's one of the things I regret about the NH TC26DA- not having a middle range to mow in.
Money is always a consideration. I was originally looking into a l2501 but after comparing it to the b2650, I agree that the b series is more practical for my needs. The closest dealer to me is a John Deere dealer, but all they have in stock are 1025r.

/ Talk me into buying #10  
Question for the ages! I have always bought used where I could, cheaper, simpler, and more what I was used to as a kid. In my experience older = heavier and two wheel drive vs newer = lighter, 4wd, and more comfy. I am fine working on older stuff, and, I spend money on other dirt toys.

If you can stand the $$'s, and don't want to spend as much time working on your stuff as you do working with your stuff, buy new. Not specific to you at all, don't know all you have to do, but, don't under estimate the value of weight when you buy. Rarely do I hear anybody say their tractor is too big (or that it is too new, or doesn't break enough!!)

Best,

ed