tc35 vs tc40

/ tc35 vs tc40 #11  
Where is the adjustable relief valve located? Is it part of the loader control assembly? Just curious, was wondering if someone with a TC35D could on their own change the pressure setting. I know that from time to time it's advisable to check your hydraulic pressure as over the years it may be less then what it could be. Rat...

/ tc35 vs tc40 #12  
You could just look for the flat locking nut on the valve.

/ tc35 vs tc40 #14  
Rat:

<font color="blue"> I'm not sure why NH derates the same loader other then hydraulic operating pressure for the two tractors. I'm sure they have good reason though. </font>

Betcha its more of a legal issue than a physical capacity issue. Watcha think? JEH

/ tc35 vs tc40 #15  
I'm with Jim, I think like Kubota and the minor differences between models like the L3130 vs L3430 and the L4330 vs the L4630, it's all marketing. You gotta have a reason for the person to consider the next model up. Hey, it worked on me! Rat...

/ tc35 vs tc40 #16  
There are 50+ pages of info in the manuals about the hydraulic system, but I think I found the directions for adjusting pressure (I don't know much about hydraulics.....).

The "comination system relief valve and diverter valve assembly" is located on the right side of the engine (it has a sticker with a picture of a book on it.) The bigger nut underneath is the "cap plug" for the "system relief valve assembly."

"If required, adjust the relief pressure setting by adding or removing shims from the relief valve. One shim, .03mm/.012in thickness, wil change the relief pressure appx 10 bar(150psi)." It doesn't say whether adding shims moves it up, but from the picture, it looks like the shims add spring pressure to the poppet, therefore increasing the pressure before it bypasses.

Shim kit = SBA340293230 contains (3) .03mm and (1) 0.1mm shims.

pressure reading for TC35 = 157bar/2275psi
pressure reading for TC40/45 = 172bar/2500psi

Apparently, it's not as simple as turning a wrench....

Mark

/ tc35 vs tc40 #18  
What if it does all boil down to HP? Maybe NH is setting the limit at extemes, such that a full load in the bucket, on some sort of sloop, needs to be handled by "X" amount of HP for safe operation?

I only note this because my terrain varies quite a bit. Moving from a TC29D to a TC40D, along with corresponding loaders [7308 vs. 16LA], I've found more than a few areas where I can accomodate heavier loader weight on a slope than I could previously. What if the 3 cylinder TC35 can't comfortably haul the same loader weight up an inclne, possibly in reverse, as it's 4-cylinder'ed cousins?

That's just a supposition. However, I've come to learn more and more not to misjudge engineers. Sure, "marketing" always tweaks the numbers as they see fit, but basic functional differences should indicate different design targets.

Later,
Jay

/ tc35 vs tc40 #19  
Jay, I think the overall load handling capacity of a tractor relates more to it's geometry and weight than horsepower. However, the engine must be capable of handling the primary loads of the hydraulic pump, transmission, and PTO all at the same time. Each of these things scrubs off horsepower and the TC35 has less of this resource than the TC40 and TC45. I agree with you that there are probably specific engineering reasons for setting the pressure relief lower on the TC35. The interesting part of this to me is that with the drive components being the same, the TC35 may last forever because its driveline is never stressed at the level of the TC40 or TC45. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif ...now that doesn't mean I'm gonna' work my TC45 any less. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ tc35 vs tc40 #20  
Jim as usual you seem to always have great responses and well thought out. I was thinking about this HP thing and really HP will determine how fast something can do something rather then if it can do it. I have also found that my new 3 cylinder diesel, (actually I have two 3 cylinder diesels now) is as smooth and quite possibly a little quieter then my 4 cylinder diesel in my previous tractor. Ironically, this diesel is the 3 cylinder version of the 4 cylinder in my previous tractor with the same bore and stroke. Rat...