TC45 Transmission Noise?

/ TC45 Transmission Noise? #11  
tdw230 said:
I am thinking that since I heard the noise after I had been bushhogging for a few hours maybe it has something to do with being hot. Is there any reason that I would have heard this sound from under the tractor ( I am assuming transmission or front axle) ?

TD, was the PTO and rotary cutter going while the noise was being made? If so, you might have a slipping PTO clutch/brake. There have been a few of these with problems. Otherwise, I'd stick with trying to isolate it to the transmission by changing to all speed ranges and see what happens. It definitely could be heat related. If so, it will be a pain at the dealer's too because they won't want to operate it until everything gets as hot as it did after 4 hours of mowing. If you can duplicate the noise or isolate it, it will sure help the service guys if that's what it comes to.:confused:

/ TC45 Transmission Noise? #12  
jinman said:
Otherwise, I'd stick with trying to isolate it to the transmission by changing to all speed ranges and see what happens. It definitely could be heat related. If so, it will be a pain at the dealer's too because they won't want to operate it until everything gets as hot as it did after 4 hours of mowing. If you can duplicate the noise or isolate it, it will sure help the service guys if that's what it comes to.:confused:

Should have asked, was it hot outside? Putting a load on the tranny? Lugging?
Bob

/ TC45 Transmission Noise?
Jim annd Doc Bob,

Well, I guess it was just a freak of nature. I have operated it several times since the noise incident and have not had any issues. I am beginning to believe it was a heat related issue. Thanks for all you help on this issue.

Best Regards,
T.D.

/ TC45 Transmission Noise? #14  
Just a quick note of someth'n that came to my mind. On my TC40 (hydro) I have noticed a grinding noise at times. My first guess was the MFWD lever. The reason for this is when I move the HAND lever all the way into 4WD, the sound goes away, when I pull out of 4WD it comes back. The other day I crawled under (engine off, brake on) and looked at the linkage. It appeard that the 4WD lever that comes out of the block wasn't getting pushed all the way into position, thus make the gears barely touch a bit perhaps. I adjusted the linkage, but unfortunately haven't had time to see if it helped or hurt the problem due to my tractor being down from the hydraulic cooler leak. (see a recent post about tc40 hydraulic cooler)

Hopefully I'll have the machine running again soon and can test my theory.

Meanwhile, that's good if your noise was just from heat, but bad if it does it everytime it gets hot and you can't figure out why...

/ TC45 Transmission Noise? #15  
MY TC25D4 has a knocking noise (hydro) when I work it to hard, but the strange thing is that when I put the tractor in 4WD, the knock goes away? It only has 445 hours on it, and I'm trading it in on a new JD 3320 because there is no local NH service in my area, and I'm not mechanically inclined, so if it goes boom, I won't have any way to fix it.

Any ideas on what the problem might be? I'm curious, it just started at 430 hours, and the service was done at 300 Hours on the entire tractor, hydro included.

/ TC45 Transmission Noise? #16  
tdw230 said:
Jim annd Doc Bob,

Well, I guess it was just a freak of nature. I have operated it several times since the noise incident and have not had any issues. I am beginning to believe it was a heat related issue. Thanks for all you help on this issue.

Best Regards,
T.D.

My TC35A has always had ungodly gear noise, and I always assumed it was straight cut gears causing it. One time the gear noiseit was extra loud, and I began to worry. All of a sudden the engine started bogging down and range lever popped into neutral. I shifted it back into the usual middle range, and it never did that again. No unusual noise, no popping out of gear since. I have always noticed the range selector is a little stiff and vague (notchy!), I believe I was careless with the range selector. If yours does that again, maybe try the range selector.

/ TC45 Transmission Noise? #17  
tdw230 said:
Well, I guess it was just a freak of nature. I have operated it several times since the noise incident and have not had any issues. I am beginning to believe it was a heat related issue...
T.D.

My TC35A has always had ungodly gear noise, and I always assumed it was straight cut gears causing it. One time the gear noiseit was extra loud, and I began to worry. All of a sudden the engine started bogging down and range lever popped into neutral. I shifted it back into the usual middle range, and it never did that again. No unusual noise, no popping out of gear since. I have always noticed the range selector is a little stiff and vague (notchy!), I believe I was careless with the range selector. If yours does that again, maybe try the range selector.

/ TC45 Transmission Noise?
ONE MONTH LATER!! I finally go some seat time. Did I mention I have a 7 week old at home...many of you now know why it took a month to get some seat time! I did a bush hog job yesterday an noticed this sound about 1 1/2 into the job. I noticed that this was more of a vibration sound an it was positional in regards to the tractor. When I turned the tractor the sound would go away; and when I was returning home I noticed the sound in high gear on the road. I could stop and start again and the sound would disappear. I am think that someone metioned early on in this saga that the MFWD shaft has a cover on it. If I remeber correctly a round sleeve like cover. That may be the culprit! I am going to do a complet service on it this evening while at the fire hall and will check it. If this is the culprit any suggestions on how to stop the vibration and noise?

I know Jim and Doc Bob are out there??

Thanks in advance,

T.D.

/ TC45 Transmission Noise? #19  
tdw230 said:
I noticed that this was more of a vibration sound an it was positional in regards to the tractor. When I turned the tractor the sound would go away; and when I was returning home I noticed the sound in high gear on the road. I could stop and start again and the sound would disappear. If this is the culprit any suggestions on how to stop the vibration and noise?
T.D.

In my 30 hours of using my TN70A, I have learned that my tractor makes all sorts of noises. I wear hearing protection. But I still hear a new noise everyday. I just check the fluids, make sure machine works well and drive on. I figured out early on not to let the new noise of the day drive me nuts. Tractors are big, complicated machines that have all sorts of vibrations in changing environments. Hot, cold, smooth ground, rough ground, brush cutter, tiller, MMM, and on and and on. 1 gear, 5th gear and 8th gear. going back and forth. Lower links rattling, varying RPM 700 to 2300 rpm and all sorts of vibrations.

If my tractor did not make a new noise everyday, I would be worried :D .
Bob

/ TC45 Transmission Noise? #20  
The noise may be coming from the MFWD drive. If you could jack up the rear wheels and spin them in gear (very dangerous!) you might see the sound is not there. But, what good would that do you? You can't find a sound that's not there. :) All you can do is to try and isolate where the sound is coming from while it is making noise. Since the front wheels roll whether you are in MFWD or not, you cannot isolate the problem by taking the tractor out of 4wd. Maybe you could wedge something between the driveshaft cover and the tractor to see if that makes the noise change.

I think this is a tough noise to find and it's going to be irritating until something fails or your find the source.