tc45d platform removal

/ tc45d platform removal #1  

farmermarv

Tractor
new holland tc45d
I'm new to tbn i have a tc45d that just recently left me sit in the woods.
I figured it out by reading about nh owners who have had the same problem.
It comes down to the trans pivot and shaft into the transmission ( weak tack weld)
where your pedals are useless. I agree this was very poor quality work and I
think the people responsible should be made to fix every NH tractor that this occurs on.
Anyway, I have not pulled the platform off ..yet... working on it. Does anyone have a work
around for this. What I mean would it be fesible to cut a small section of the platform out to gain
access to the pivot shaft? Then bolt or weld back in place? IF you have to take platform off
do you have to cut the mat to get it over or around the joystick controls?? Any help is that
would make this easier would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Marv

/ tc45d platform removal #2  
I'm new to tbn i have a tc45d that just recently left me sit in the woods.
I figured it out by reading about nh owners who have had the same problem.
It comes down to the trans pivot and shaft into the transmission ( weak tack weld)
where your pedals are useless. I agree this was very poor quality work and I
think the people responsible should be made to fix every NH tractor that this occurs on.
Anyway, I have not pulled the platform off ..yet... working on it. Does anyone have a work
around for this. What I mean would it be fesible to cut a small section of the platform out to gain
access to the pivot shaft? Then bolt or weld back in place? IF you have to take platform off
do you have to cut the mat to get it over or around the joystick controls?? Any help is that
would make this easier would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Marv

Hi Marv, I may be the original member to report this problem. The shaft might be tack-welded in place, but to do the job right requires removal of the platform. That's because of the damper shock behind the B-shaped plate which is right next to the cruise control magnet. Everything is jammed together down there with close tolerances. Have you found my thread with the photos? One big job is removing the right loader post so the platform is free to come out. Frankly, it's a butt-kicking job that is best done over a couple of weekends in a covered/heated shop.

/ tc45d platform removal
Hey Jim,
Thanks for the response ,I'm kind of late with the return but always one more thing to do.
My thinking in regard to cutting a section out would be to use a small cut off wheel and take out a section
of the footrest. Just enough to allow room to work. Then do a nice weld back in place the mat covers all
so not noticeable. Now knowing the right loader post has to br removed makes this even more tempting.
I do not have enough pics, I need some on platform. Do you have a few shots that gives a good look
at most of platform and right loader post. I guess I need whatever you got to get a real good look at this
project. I've worked on this bits and peices when the weather has been warmer ( no warm shop) cold
barm. One of my other concerns is getting it all back together. Thanks for your help.
Marv

/ tc45d platform removal #4  
I say cut away!

I can't remember for the life of me...but there was something that the mechanic at the dealership needed to get to regarding something or other in that area on my tractor. :laughing: He said that they could get to it in minutes or hours. I chose minutes.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get to, but hope this helps.
Tractor Repair.jpg

/ tc45d platform removal #5  
Marv, I know exactly what is in John's photo, do you? My point is that cutting is a great idea if you know what you are going to expose and what you are cutting through. If you don't know, you could find you've cut something that should not be cut. Yes, cutting is a good idea if done carefully. I'll get together my photos and try to post them up soon for you. I'm sure they will be helpful, but you won't find a lot more than what's in my original post.

/ tc45d platform removal #6  
I have a tc-35 that had the same problem. My first repair was a weld job with the wire feed welder without taking anything apart. It wasn't pretty and only lasted about a year. Late last fall the weld broke loose again. This time I cut an access hole through the deck ground all the old weld off and welded it up on both sides of the pivot shaft.
I don't think it will be a problem again as I was able to get a really good weld with good penetration this time.
I then welded the deck piece back on with the wire feed welder put the rubber deck back on and was good to go.
Also I didn't remove the entire rubber pad. I removed the seat and then folded back the right side, held it out of the way with a bungee cord and made the necessary repair. I think the whole thing took me about two hours start to finish. Hope this helps and good luck.

/ tc45d platform removal
Hey Jim,
I now know what and how I will cut the section out. The tool I'm using will
be set to cut only the thickness of the metal it will cause no damage to anything underneath.
I have another question concerning the trans pivot shaft where the tack weld broke. What is the
best way to make sure the shaft and B-plate are all lined up properly before you weld.My thought
would be to put it back together and mark both peices in the correct position. Would this be the
best way to do it? Thanks again for all your help.
Marv

/ tc45d platform removal
Hey Rims421,
Thanks for the reply. I wish I had known some of this info before I started.
Marv

/ tc45d platform removal #9  
Marv, the best way to make sure the alignment is correct is to insall the B-plate in place before you weld. If it doesn't lay straight, it might be necessary to put in some shims to hold it in position. You are really asking the wrong guy about this. I took everything apart, so I really have no idea of how to do it any other way.

/ tc45d platform removal #10  
Marv, here are the best images I have of the platform area and the loader post bolts. I hope they help.B-PlateOut.jpgB-plate-01.JPGB-plate-02.JPGB-plate-03.JPGB-plate-04.JPGB-plate-05.jpgB-PlateIn.jpgDSCF0006.JPGDSCF0001.JPGDSCF0002.JPGDSCF0003.JPGDSCF0004.JPGDSCF0005.JPGDSCF0008.JPGDSCF0006.JPGDSCF0007.JPG