TC45DA Electric Two Speed

/ TC45DA Electric Two Speed #1  

dieselscout80

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
All,

Just noticed that my hydro drive TC45DA’s electric two speed is not shifting when switched. The light changes from turtle to rabbit and back, but the ground speed doesn’t change.

I just cut some really tall weed/brush and it was working then, but this weekend it wasn’t.

I gave it a quick glance to see if there were any wires underneath that are daMagee/disconnected but I didn’t see any.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to look for?

/ TC45DA Electric Two Speed #2  
All,

Just noticed that my hydro drive TC45DA’s electric two speed is not shifting when switched. The light changes from turtle to rabbit and back, but the ground speed doesn’t change.

I just cut some really tall weed/brush and it was working then, but this weekend it wasn’t.

I gave it a quick glance to see if there were any wires underneath that are daMagee/disconnected but I didn’t see any.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to look for?
I was just having a conversation with a mechanic at the shop and he said that he has replaced a few of the jumper wires i believe he said that go to a relay from the pistol grip controller. Take another look i guess. Good Luck...

/ TC45DA Electric Two Speed
I was just having a conversation with a mechanic at the shop and he said that he has replaced a few of the jumper wires i believe he said that go to a relay from the pistol grip controller. Take another look i guess. Good Luck...
Thanks I will check it.

/ TC45DA Electric Two Speed #4  
@dieselscout80 - Being the tractor is stuck in LO, I would 1st check the connections at the HI/LO Solenoid Valve... That valve will stay in LO unless energized & being you where out cutting in tall grass I'd check those connections first...

The HI/LO Solenoid Valve is located on the Left side of the Transmission... If you look underneath the left side of the tractor, look just behind the (2) brake pedal return springs & you will see the HI/LO Solenoid Valve. The wire are towards the back of the valve (& kind of tucked up), but there will be (2) bullet connectors right there. Make sure those are connected / plugged in all the way...

If memory serves me correctly, I believe the wiring from the HI/LO switch in the loader handle plug into the harness & then go to the console HI/LO console switch then back to the relays, but I don't think you have a power or relay issue... Don't get me wrong, it could be a fuse (7.5amp) or one of the relays (there are 2).. but I would check those wires first based on your description.

@dieselscout80 - Being the tractor is stuck in LO, I would 1st check the connections at the HI/LO Solenoid Valve... That valve will stay in LO unless energized & being you where out cutting in tall grass I'd check those connections first...

The HI/LO Solenoid Valve is located on the Left side of the Transmission... If you look underneath the left side of the tractor, look just behind the (2) brake pedal return springs & you will see the HI/LO Solenoid Valve. The wire are towards the back of the valve (& kind of tucked up), but there will be (2) bullet connectors right there. Make sure those are connected / plugged in all the way...

If memory serves me correctly, I believe the wiring from the HI/LO switch in the loader handle plug into the harness & then go to the console HI/LO console switch then back to the relays, but I don't think you have a power or relay issue... Don't get me wrong, it could be a fuse (7.5amp) or one of the relays (there are 2).. but I would check those wires first based on your description.
Well the two bullet connectors we’re not undone, but one looked loose so I unplugged both and reconnected them.

I tried it out but the two speed didn’t shift.

I may try running 12 volts straight to it and see if it shifts that way. Then I’d know if it was just an electrical issue.

Attachments

• IMG_2761.jpeg
    IMG_2761.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
   / TC45DA Electric Two Speed #6  
I may try running 12 volts straight to it and see if it shifts that way. Then I’d know if it was just an electricAl issue.

You can just check to see if you have 12 volt on the 2 bullet connectors when you switch it to the HI position... If you do not have 12 volts in the HI position I would then check the fuse (I think it is a 7.5 amp) if the fuse is good I would test the relay next.

/ TC45DA Electric Two Speed #7  
@dieselscout80 - Sorry I did not look at the pic you posted last night... That is the Neutral Safety Switch in your pic... Not the HI/LO Solenoid Valve...

You need to look further back on the transmission... It is behind & to the rear of the 2 heavy brake pedal return springs... those are the wires you want to check...

Not a great pic but might help...
HI - LO Solenoid Valve.jpg

Last edited:
@dieselscout80 - Sorry I did not look at the pic you posted last night... That is the Neutral Safety Switch in your pic... Not the HI/LO Solenoid Valve...

You need to look further back on the transmission... It is behind & to the rear of the 2 heavy brake pedal return springs... those are the wires you want to check...

Not a great pic but might help...
View attachment 808240
Do these two pictures show it?

This set of connectors is almost straight below the one in my first picture.

Attachments

• IMG_2763.jpeg
    IMG_2763.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2764.jpeg
    IMG_2764.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 66
Dlctcg,

Here’s another picture with a flashlight shining on the device/controller/connection.

Also, it appears and feels li it is connected.

Another thing the controller/device appears to be oriented reverse compared to your picture.

Attachments

• IMG_2768.jpeg
    IMG_2768.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 56
   / TC45DA Electric Two Speed #10  
@dieselscout80 - Yes that is the unit & it is oriented the same way as ours; just different pic angles I think...

I would pull those bullet connectors & see if you have 12 volts there when the tractor is in HI mode... if it does not have 12 volts check the fuse & then the HI relay...

Quick note on the relays - the Hi & Lo relays are the same so you can just swap them for testing purposes....