Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,111  
Most of my X-country trips were done in unpaneled Vans. So yes, concrete roads are very loud. :)

Did you know that the opening sound pattern of the Bee Gee's, "Jive Talking," was inspired by the sound of driving over a bridge in Florida. :)
And did you know that there are roads in New Mexico and California called musical roads?
They are specially grooved in a special pattern so that as you driver on them they make music.
Denmark, Japan and South Korea have singing roads too.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,112  
Until it sucks you down into a holler.......
We don't have an hollers in this part of Indiana. Just flat land. However, there are some pretty deep drainage ditches along the roads. Deep enough that they wouldn't see your car down there unless they were looking for it.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,113  
And did you know that there are roads in New Mexico and California called musical roads?
They are specially grooved in a special pattern so that as you driver on them they make music.
Denmark, Japan and South Korea have singing roads too.

Here's another. I didn't know there was such a thing!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,114  
Wow! Guess they didn't believe the huge orange WARNING signs...
There's one on I440 in Little Rock that's pretty rough. I've forgotten about it and would have bounced off the ceiling if I wasn't wearing my seat belt.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,115  
We don't have an hollers in this part of Indiana. Just flat land. However, there are some pretty deep drainage ditches along the roads. Deep enough that they wouldn't see your car down there unless they were looking for it.
I had a friend that one nasty winter day in the late '60s was fussing around trying to find a certain 8 track tape to plug in the player in his Camaro and went off the west side of the road on SR15 north of Goshen, where the drainage ditch was about 10 feet deep, and drifted full of snow. When he came to a stop, he couldn't see anything out of any of the windows, the car was completely covered up with snow. He was able to put the driver's window down and dig his way out. Damn near froze before someone came along and stopped to pick him up. Due to the bad weather, it was a couple of days before he could get a tow truck to pull it out. By then there was no sign of it to be seen, took a while poking around with a cane fishing pole to find it and another hour to dig down to it so they could get a chain on it to pull it out. It wasn't damaged other than the grille was pushed in and the interior full of snow from him digging himself out.
We didn't let him live that down for a long time.

I forgot to mention that a few years later, after a few more vehicles had gone into the ditch, IDOT put in a guard rail on that stretch of ditch.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #2,116  
SR15 north of Goshen, where the drainage ditch was about 10 feet deep, and drifted full of snow.
Northern Indiana has quite a few of those deep ditches along their roads. Most have no real barrier protection. I've driven around Kouts, LaCrosse, Knox and North Judson a lot, and often thought it would be bad to slide into one of those, whether full of water or snow.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,117  
Northern Indiana has quite a few of those deep ditches along their roads. Most have no real barrier protection. I've driven around Kouts, LaCrosse, Knox and North Judson a lot, and often thought it would be bad to slide into one of those, whether full of water or snow.
That area of Indiana, from Southwest of South Bend towards the Illinois border is extremely flat. It was all the Grand Kankakee Marsh. That was one of the largest freshwater marshes in the United States before it was drained. That's why there are so many deep ditches. It's all gravity drained and the water table is only a few feet down.

86F15A0F-9A82-4118-9B5B-86FFF80D9E01.jpeg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,119  
Colliseum

THE Colosseum, the huge Roman amphitheatre used for animal shows and gladiatorial combat, was built with the spoils of the sack of the Jewish temple in Jerusalem, a new archaeological find suggests.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,120  
Not to be a jerk... but the ancient Cree had a system of money? Sounds a bit fishy...