Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #31  
Electricity does not travel in wires, it travels in waves outside of them. The actual flow of electrons inside the conductor is very slow.

Quote:

“…, electrical energy does not travel though the wire as sound travels through air but instead always travels in the space outside of the wires. This is because electric energy is composed of electric and magnetic fields which are created by the moving electrons, but which exist in the space surrounding the wires.”
No matter which direction one points a telescope, One always looks BACK in time. Objects and events seen are from a previous moment. And the objects themselves may not even exist at this moment.
Good thread, when stuff like this gets posted! 👍

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #32  
When I worked at a printing company one of the mags we ran was Astronomy. Always found it fascinating but way too much light pollution here to see much.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #33  
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #34  
Astronomy turned out to be my favorite class in college, I took it because I needed a science elective. The universe is fascinating and shows just how insignificant we are on planet earth. It made the little light go off in my head and brought together all the stuff I learned in college. So glad I took it in my final semester of under grad classes.

I was amazed that if light from space travels through a prism, it gives little black lines signifying different types of gasses. These lines never change for each gas. I mean, how did someone discover that? Who just looks into space through a prism and spends enough time doing it to see patterns.

In Wyoming, it's dark with no light pollution. With a little bit of knowledge and a good telescope...Its fun to star gaze.

Astronomy is one of my favorite topics. I really enjoy watching quite a few of the shows on science channel like how the universe works, through the worm hole, the planets and beyond, etc etc.

You are right about how inconsequentially small we are on this tiny planet. And the fact that all the starts in the sky we see are just from our own galaxy. And the fact that there are 100's of billions of other galaxies out there is mind boggling.

But as infinitely large as the universe is... equally mindboggling is how small things are.

And when you think in terms of what is "known" to science.........there is far more that we dont know than we do.

I dont want to dive down the rabbit hole of black holes, dark matter, parallel universes/realities, etc etc. But I will just say it truly is impressive how small we are and how little we actually know

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #35  
Billy Dixon's 1,538 yard shot ! ..............https://texashillcountry.com/shot-century-billy-dixon-history/

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #37  
I am always amazed by quantum physics.
How else can something be in two places at the same time?
And quantum entanglement can happen across large distances!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #38  
To the nice person that said a bit earlier....
> But as infinitely large as the universe is... equally mindboggling is how small things are.

Yes it is mind boggling is how small things are but the universe is not infinitely large. It is finite in both spacial and temporal extent :)

Mike

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #39  
Astronomy is one of my favorite topics. I really enjoy watching quite a few of the shows on science channel like how the universe works, through the worm hole, the planets and beyond, etc etc.

You are right about how inconsequentially small we are on this tiny planet. And the fact that all the starts in the sky we see are just from our own galaxy. And the fact that there are 100's of billions of other galaxies out there is mind boggling.

But as infinitely large as the universe is... equally mindboggling is how small things are.

And when you think in terms of what is "known" to science.........there is far more that we dont know than we do.

I dont want to dive down the rabbit hole of black holes, dark matter, parallel universes/realities, etc etc. But I will just say it truly is impressive how small we are and how little we actually know
I truly believe we are a tiny micro spot in space that is completely insignificant to the other tiny micro spots in the universe.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #40  
A comment down in the "What would aliens look like" thread led me down a rabbit hole, reading about Nellie Bly. If you enjoy reading about history, this is a good article. Nellie Bly: Around the World