Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,741  
Today it might. If one is usiong floppies I suspect it's not because one kikes to live in a cave, There's a reason and that reason will likely necissitate being connected to the rest of the world in order to do business with the other people tho use floppies.

But I get your point.
It does seem awfully darn weird that any one would be using such an unreliable archaic means of data storage.
But look at the US government or most of the states. Their systems are still running Fortran and Cobol.
And when they update the problems are unbelievable…

San Francisco School District updated spending millions on new payroll and total disaster with some not getting paid for months… big story of a principal covering teachers payroll to stave off eviction.

If a private comply didn’t pay for months there would be hell to pay…

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,742  
What led to the majority of arrests for kiddie **** was when the cops started posing as under age teens...long before there were p to p web programs (and even before the WWW) most of the kiddie **** traffic was via USENET and BBS...and even then the authorities had a fairly decent handle on it...

I have a BIL that was in law enforcement and broke a case (the FBI took most of the unwarranted credit) concerning one particular video of a young girl...for years after the initial arrests my BIL traveled all over the country and even out of the country testifying in cases involving the video...

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,743  
What led to the majority of arrests for kiddie **** was when the cops started posing as under age teens.
No that's an entirely different thing.
Completely unrelated.
The frst case of this I encountered was a Colorado teenager who played games online. His computer was turned into a botnet warehouse for kiddie ****. His ISP Noticed the encrypted traffic and decoded some and called the police. He managed to escape prison but the prosecutor who "wanted to send a message" (to whom, I can't imagine) insisted on exhausting the family's financial reserves even refinancing their home to defend their son from the prosecution. Finally, the prosecutor relented and let the boy cop a plea to fines and no prison.
The boy never did a thing wrong other than get on a Peer to Peer network.
Another instance occurred in Philly. An employee of a small company, too small to have a Robust IT network, was playing P - P games on a company PC at lunch, and the owner of the business went to prison because the computers were his property.

Not connected with the legally dubious sting operations you were thinking of.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,744  
Back in the 90's there was the IRC channel. You could download cartoons...things like that...but you never knew what you were downloading until the file was unencrypted

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,745  
A supervisor came up to my boss and I one time and showed us a piece of paper that she found on the network printer that was blank except for a URL of a JPEG on a **** site. It had a time stamp on it. Boss made me hunt it down.

Found it came from a PC that was in a back office positioned that no one could see the screen except the operator. Only person to use that PC was a prominent Sports writer. Gave the boss and supervisor the info. He denied knowing anything about it.

How stupid can someone be? Well, I showed him the timestamp on the paper. I showed him the system logs from the print server that showed it came from a PC with a specific IP address. All PCs at the company were hard coded IP addresses. It was his IP address. Went into his favorites and found multiple bookmarks to **** sites. One was the same URL to the page that had multiple adult images on it, and one was named the same as the one printed from that PC.

Seen enough yet?

He got time off with no pay and put on probation.

While he was out, I changed the URLs in all of his bookmarks to take him to the WWJD website. :ROFLMAO:
We had something similar. Purchasing agent had private & personal PC tower under his desk. He was downloading **** for take home use (we hoped) and selling bootleg PC games online. IT guy found it due to him hogging company bandwidth. He was sent home ,,, permanently, but rode our COBRA insurance for 18 months afterward. No one would hire him apparently.

It was policy not to give recommendations or termination reasons for former employees since we could get sued. The work around then was to be asked “Would you rehire or hire him again”.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #1,746  
It does seem awfully darn weird that any one would be using such an unreliable archaic means of data storage.
Seeing how the 747 400 came out in 1988 that's 34 years of unreliable? I think it's a pretty good track record.

Also they aren't using it for data storage. It's for data transfer. They're loading updates into the machine. That's all.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,747  
When I was still serving corporate clients I considered it malpractice per see to fail to advise them (strenuously) to destroy all their hard drives every six months and back up only the data no executables.
What?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,748  
have a BIL that was in law enforcement and broke a case (the FBI took most of the unwarranted credit) concerning one particular video of a young girl...for years after the initial arrests my BIL traveled all over the country and even out of the country testifying in cases involving the video...

to remove the potential evidence while still in the sunshine. If you destroy it not knowing it's there it is not a crime. If OTOH you wait for the subpoena you are in deep doo doo.