Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,381  
I tell you something some of you may not know- The Germans build the finest farm machinery in the world.
1. Fendt tractors. Claas, too but they aren’t here in the US (yet).
2. Mann diesel engines
3. Krone & Claas hay balers, planters, rakes, tedders, etc.

Oh, and the rest of Northern Europe ain’t far behind.…

Sisu, Pottinger, Valtra, Deutz, Valmet, just to name a few.
I hired on a custom harvest crew in 1960; we cut wheat in Oklahoma and Kansas. I recall cutting for a farmer in SW Kansas; he and his family had as a guest in their home, an exchange student from Sweden. I got the impression he was an intern of sorts, learning American farming techniques.

He was an interesting guy, showed us pictures of the combines they used where he lived. They were huge...they cut the wheat, threshed it, and bagged it in large burlap sacks. The machine also bailed the straw. Of course it took a crew of about 4 or 5 people to operate it.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,384  
Here's something people may not know:
Most always when someone dies they may have something (bank account, CDs, stocks, etc.) the family doesn't know about. We had a good friend pass at 48 (rip) and through research discovered he had savings. I called his father, it was listed on the state unclaimed property site. His father thanked me and that helped pay funeral expenses.
Before Christmas I checked for my wife and I and just now printed off a form letter we fill out, both of us will get a check (not much in our case...$50 each).
It's worth checking out though.
My Nephew (smart young man) sent me a list of unclaimed state property, with money owed to me. There were two refunds from utility companies. (I flip houses and have owned several in the past). Paperwork to prove I was the correct person owed the refunds was a little work, I got around $60 back. What made no sense was the fact that the utility companies had my home address, as I always have bills sent to my home. I don’t know why the original refunds were not sent to me in the first place.

Mike

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,385  
My Nephew (smart young man) sent me a list of unclaimed state property, with money owed to me. There were two refunds from utility companies. (I flip houses and have owned several in the past). Paperwork to prove I was the correct person owed the refunds was a little work, I got around $60 back. What made no sense was the fact that the utility companies had my home address, as I always have bills sent to my home. I don’t know why the original refunds were not sent to me in the first place.

Mike
The reason is obvious. IF they sent the refund you would have cashed it. :p

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,388  
Longitude lines are not consistent.

One degree of longitude is about 70 miles at the equator.

At 38 degrees north (Virginia) it's about 55 miles.

At 76 degrees north (middle of Greenland) it's only about 17 miles.

So in order to make a map of the world a rectangle.....17 miles in Greenland = 70 miles in the Sahara desert of Africa. That's why Greenland appears so massive when it reay isn't.

If you were at the north pole....walk south 10 ft your body would probably occupy several degrees of longitude, which would be sever hundred miles at the equator.

Also.....Alaska.....covers the same degrees of longitude as the lower 48 states

There is NO good way to represent a sphere in 2 dimensions. The Mercator is just the most useful for 90% of the world's population
Next time anyone uses a compass did you know magnetic North moves about 28 miles a year!
A friend recently showed me how to navigate using a compass like this:
Without GPS with a compass and map you can't get lost!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,389  
"What good is a compass and map? I don't care which way is north. I want to know which way is my truck!"

:(:D

Bruce

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,390  

Mike

Every year I check the Louisiana Treasurers website for my name. Then I check some of the alleged national lists. Then I start looking for relatives and neighbors. Invariably I find 1-3 people yearly who have something coming back they didn’t know they had.