Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,581  
George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, John Adams, and Thomas Jefferson were all Land Surveyors before taking office as the President of the United States?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,582  
George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, John Adams, and Thomas Jefferson were all Land Surveyors before taking office as the President of the United States?
That's one I hadn't heard! We likely all know that Washington was, and that Jefferson fancied himself an architect. Lincoln and Adams were both lawyers by profession, and Lincoln was also famously a "rail splitter" in his youth, among several other odd jobs. It's possible Lincoln and Adams also both worked in surveying prior to landing in law, but I'd never heard that.

<-- also briefly worked in surveying

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,583  
I'm reading a book right now ("That Dark and Bloody River" by Allan Eckert) that talks about George Washington staking out 10,000 acre tracts of land (Jeesh!) when the Ohio Valley was opened up and settlers and trappers started spreading westward. That was back when all you had to do was just "mark" your property claims with hatchet marks on the trees. Later, these tracts were broken down into smaller tracts and sold to other settlers for profit. Needless to say the Indian tribes weren't happy about all of this! Crazy times.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,585  
One of the farms we sold last year had the Eastern property line marked with blaze marks on trees. The property is very hilly with the ridges changing from NE to SW to running SE to NW. It took two people to walk the line, one eyeballing while the other walked. It wold take us several hours to find all the marks. I had to do this with dad from an early age. Then mom and I did it after he died until she couldn't walk it. They surveyed the entire eighty acres last year in about two hours using GPS.

RSKY

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,586  
It doesn't matter if they are allowed to, as some folks would do anyway.

A problem that I have with constitutional carry is that if you're involved in an encounter with police, they police have no way of easily checking if you're NOT allowed to carry a firearm. With a permitting system, they can easily check. Tens of thousands of firearms are confiscated by law enforcement every year when found on the person of people that are prevented by law from carrying. Tens of thousands.

That ability goes away in constitutional carry states.

I do not see it as an unreasonable system to require people go through a permitting process. I'd also like to see universal background checks required for all firearm transfers: private, public, hand guns, long guns, all guns. That way the police could check the person that I want to sell a firearm to and confirm they're legally able to own it before I make my sale. There's just not a good enough reason to not do that.

It's proven that background checks work to keep firearms out of the hands of people that cannot legally own them through sales at gun dealers, so it should be extended to all private sales.
Police can easily check if your not allowed to possess a gun and it has been done even before Indiana's new laws. An NCIC criminal history will show an Officer in seconds if a subject is a convicted felon or an undocumented alien and therefore not allowed to have a gun.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,587  
One of the farms we sold last year had the Eastern property line marked with blaze marks on trees. The property is very hilly with the ridges changing from NE to SW to running SE to NW. It took two people to walk the line, one eyeballing while the other walked. It wold take us several hours to find all the marks. I had to do this with dad from an early age. Then mom and I did it after he died until she couldn't walk it. They surveyed the entire eighty acres last year in about two hours using GPS.

RSKY
We try to have lines respotted every 20 years. Sometimes that isn't often enough. What is really surprising is how much the lines may have moved over the years, for various reasons. I spotted one line years ago which suddenly started veering off a degree or two. then after about 100 feet I came to a big spruce tree; after which it veered back on line. The funny thing is there were no old spots on that tree, while the rest of the line had been redone several times. So it's not like the crook was there because somebody wanted a nice spruce.

/ Tell us something we don’t know.
#2,588  
D1DE02A1-0C79-4505-8460-5F9D6DEF5B7B.jpeg
214605CA-E388-48E7-B0E0-76A2B9A3D6DA.jpeg

The picture of Lincoln I purchased, had framed, and hung in the lobby of our office.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,589  
When I was a boy, my parents were having a dinner party. As folks arrived the guests coats were taken into the bedroom. My uncle, a policeman, put his service revolver in the coat pocket while attending.

I don’t recall all the events, but somehow I ended up removing it to look at it when no one was around. I snuck over to the basement door intending to go downstairs and look at the gun some more. But while descending the stairs, I tripped. The gun went flying upward. I fell first, the gun landing on my face and the hammer catching me above the left eye and causing a deep laceration.

Despite being hurt I managed to get the gun back upstairs, into the coat pocket, went back to the basement and yelled to my mom I was hurt.

So, yeah, kids are curious. And lucky it didn’t go off.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,590  
When I got the little 'Seecamp' (had to put quotation marks to stop autocorrect) I brought it into the dining room after Sunday lunch and showed it to all the grands. They are ages 13, 9, 7, and 6. It is so small and looks like a toy so I explained that it was not a toy, did not have a safety, and would kill anybody that it was pointed at when the trigger was pulled. They all looked at it wide eyed, including the daughters who are 40 and 36. My son in laws just licked their lips. I then explained that it was always in my biometric safe but in case they saw it out somewhere not to touch it. I then locked it back in the safe.

A few weeks after that we were going somewhere with only the 9-year old granddaughter when out of the blue she said, "Granddaddy, when you die can I have all your guns?" I said no, that they would go to Granna and then be divided equally among the grands. She then said she wanted her name put, "on the scary looking one you keep behind the bedroom door that is always loaded and will blow a hole thru somebody big enough to stick your fist thru!"

That's my girl!!!

She was referring to the Maverick 88 Security which is loaded with the safety off but one not racked into the chamber. Safety is hard to work on the gun and even showing my wife the button to push to unlock the slide to chamber a shell she still cannot do it. So it is safe.

Oh yeah, she has a CO2 powered BB machine gun. Will empty a twenty BB clip in seconds.

RSKY