Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,791  
The "Monkeys" where a pretty good band. They just didn't play any of the instruments..

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #3,792  
I know how awakening that can be. I had a med-evac chopper land 400 feet away from my bedroom window one morning a few years ago for a pickup/delivery.

I can't imagine that happening once a month.
I had one hover over my truck (F150) when it was easing into a church parking lot to pick up a victim.

It gave the suspension on the truck a pretty good workout.

At first I wasn't sure what the heck was going on. I could hear the chopper, but couldn't see it. Then the truck start bouncing and shaking something fierce That's when I stuffed my head out the window to see what was going on

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,793  
When analyzing the James Webb sun shield, a helicopter flying over the building where measurements were taking place needed to be noted in the data log, due to the measurement errors it created.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,794  
I used to work about that distance from a medical helipad. It wasn't that bad. I suspect that the pilots had an SOP that used less than full thrust.

I think that the medivacs from the park next door sound much louder. I suspect that we tend to hear them when they have gotten to a "reasonable" altitude and as they come by they are then in "the pedal to the metal mode" to get the victim to the hospital. When we have worked an evac at ground level in the park, those didn't seem as bad either, but perhaps those are just a continuous roar, and you have your fingers jammed in your ears at the time...:LOL:

When we bought the property, it came with property disclosures about aircraft noise, and I remember thinking "everywhere around here has aircraft noise..." I think the specific issue was the local private airport, and some of the amateur pilots who tend to cross our ridge at low clearance, as in "count the rivets" low clearance. Don't get me wrong, we are generally happy to have the airport, which is also a heliport, and helicopter service area, and a forward base for fire operations when needed, but I do think that some of the pilots could do better sometimes.

When I hear folks complaining about aircraft noise, I tend to wonder how many moved in after the airport...

All the best,

Peter
Oh I love aircraft. I grew up near the flightpath of our local airport. I was around aircraft and airports most of my childhood, and up until about age 25. I worked at two FBOs from 79-86. I still live in a flight path. I'm about 1/4 mile from the airport fence.

I can tell you from 26 or so years in this house, helicopters are much more annoying sounding inside my house than if I go out in the yard. Just like boom box cars. They shake the house, and it reverberates inside. Go outside, and there's no place for the sound to reverberate, it just passes.

Same thing with jets that pass over at full throttle on takeoff if the wind is just right, they'll go directly over the house. The windows rattle, the cats run to the basement, the TV channel flickers... the whole bit. :ROFLMAO:

I used to work at the newspaper which is about 3 blocks from that hospital. They would vibrate our building.

The other concern I have for those people in the houses across the street is catastrophe. If a helicopter incident happens, it can go into the hospital or into the houses. That's about it. When they were pushing for the landing pad, the safety of helicopters was touted over and over, and the chances of an accident are minuscule.

Well, helicopters have about a 30% higher crash rate per 100,000 hours of flight than fixed wing aircraft.

Our local airport used eminent domain to take houses to extend runways, saying that the longer runways were much safer and any incidents would be contained to the expanded airport property.... we've had two crashes outside of the fence since then, one being a small jet that bounced off the runway twice and crashed into a house 1/4 mile outside the fence, killing two on board, and injuring two on board as well as the lady that owned the house. Her life was upended forever.

Anyhow, anytime I hear public officials dismissing the publics' concerns about aircraft flying over/near their house I think of this line from the Blue Oyster Cult classic hit:

History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men
Godzilla

;)

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,795  
When I was in college in the mid 60’s we lived in El Paso about 2 miles off the end of the runway at Biggs Air Force Base. B-52’s were stationed there. About once every month or so, they would have a scramble. First 3 tankers fully loaded would take off at a tight interval followed by 3 or 4 B-52’s probably with nukes. They would be operating at full throttle and crossed the house at less than 1000’. The entire house shook for 10 minutes or so.

Those pure jet engines were SO much louder than the current turbofans. Ahh, the sound of freedom.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,798  
I used to work about that distance from a medical helipad. It wasn't that bad. I suspect that the pilots had an SOP that used less than full thrust.

I think that the medivacs from the park next door sound much louder. I suspect that we tend to hear them when they have gotten to a "reasonable" altitude and as they come by they are then in "the pedal to the metal mode" to get the victim to the hospital. When we have worked an evac at ground level in the park, those didn't seem as bad either, but perhaps those are just a continuous roar, and you have your fingers jammed in your ears at the time...:LOL:

When we bought the property, it came with property disclosures about aircraft noise, and I remember thinking "everywhere around here has aircraft noise..." I think the specific issue was the local private airport, and some of the amateur pilots who tend to cross our ridge at low clearance, as in "count the rivets" low clearance. Don't get me wrong, we are generally happy to have the airport, which is also a heliport, and helicopter service area, and a forward base for fire operations when needed, but I do think that some of the pilots could do better sometimes.

When I hear folks complaining about aircraft noise, I tend to wonder how many moved in after the airport...

All the best,

Peter
When I lived in Florida, there was an airport about 5 miles from us. There was a debate (well, maybe conflict is a better term) about whether it should be shut down as a private airport because the noise bothered the people in the houses at the end of the runway. After looking into the issue, the runway was there first!!! It was built during WW2 as a pilot training facility and the houses were built long after the runway was there. The airfield has been in continuous use since WW2. Oh, and the people also complained about the train tracks that have been in use since the early 1900's.

Another location: Someone bought a house, then complained about the train noise. The tracks were right at the edge of their property. They were asked if they saw the train tracks when they checked out the property. "Yes, but there wasn't a train on it when we looked at it".

I have no sympathy for them.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,800  
Did you know they are not making yard sticks any longer?
My father in law used to carry a yard stick with him when he was teaching my wife to drive. If she did something wrong, he would rap her knuckles with the yard stick.

Well, she got wise and the yard stick ended up in the burn pile while it was lit.

The next driving lesson, he had his trusty yard stick

She did it again. Burned the bloody thing. Next driving lesson he had another yard stick

When he passed away and we were cleaning out his closet, we found two five gallon pails slap full of yard sticks Wife was cussing, swearing, and laughing her butt off when she found them And then told me the story about her driving lessons.

Years ago, every buisiness handed out yard sticks as a promotion. He would go to farm and garden shows and collect yard sticks from every buisiness. Bring them home, and store them in a five gallon pail in his closet