Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,271  
Years back we were vacationing in Virginia Beach. Groups of F14s kept flying in from the ocean, buzzing the field at Oceana, coming around, then landing. Went on for a couple hours. Little did I realize until I got home that those were some of the last flights of F14s before being scrapped. They were coming off of a carrier for the last time.
It seems like I read somewhere, during the production of Maverick, they had to borrow an F14 from a museum for the movie scenes.
* found it:

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,272  
There are 24 dialects of English spoken in the Continental US
Whenever I go to the east or west coast I enjoy joking with people that I am from "upstate NY" when they hear my accent and ask me where I'm from.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,274  
I'm just wondering out of curiosity what they are doing on the radio towers now days.
Many years ago one of my early jobs after the Marines involved changing light bulbs on a few towers,
quite the fun job. Those bulbs according to the boxes were rated for 240Volts, when installed on 120 Volt circuits they had a very long life. It's been a long time but I'm thinking those were on a 2 year schedule for replacement. Nothing like taking a full day to change a few light bulbs.
I did about the same thing... I replaced 120v security lights in a chemical plant that were required to be 'on' 24/7 with 240v bulbs. Last I checked, after 15 years they were still on and just fine. I doubt one could even find a 240v incondescent bulb these days.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,276  
It seems like I read somewhere, during the production of Maverick, they had to borrow an F14 from a museum for the movie scenes.
* found it:
There's an F14 on display at the Grissom Air Museum in Peru, IN.

It's to the left of the B58 Hustler, as seen from the highway on google street view.
(click to enlarge)

IMG_2535.jpeg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,277  
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #5,278  
I speak a mix of southern midland, Ozark, coastal southern, and western New England

Gets interesting after I have a few beers in me
Growing up the military family across the street hailed from Arkansas and us kids where mesmerized listening to the family speak... same for family from Boston and another from New Orleans... had lots of non native Californians in the Bay Area with many military or defense work...

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,279  
I did about the same thing... I replaced 120v security lights in a chemical plant that were required to be 'on' 24/7 with 240v bulbs. Last I checked, after 15 years they were still on and just fine. I doubt one could even find a 240v incondescent bulb these days.
I bought a pack of "Diode Buttons" that went between the socket and bulb base and installed in all the outside floodlights in the early 80's and every bulb including on photo sensor still original...