Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,311  
Van Heusen
1692131176503.png

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,312  
Odd geography.

When going through the Panama Canal from the Atlantic to the Pacific, one is going East

Alaska is both the Western most and Easternmost state.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,313  
Kiska and Attu Islands, Alaska are due north of New Zealand.

Bruce

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #5,315  
It’s a fairly recent thing where surveyors have started worrying about small distances. Yes that stone is huge, what part of the stone is the corner? They didn’t used to worry about such things.

Illinois was originally surveyed into sections of ground in the early 1800’s with a surveyors chain and a compass. I’ve broken down a lot of sections of ground with modern equipment and have discovered the accuracy of that original work was about 1 in 100. What that means is for every 100 feet measured they has 1 foot of error. Sometimes they did better, sometimes they did worse. By todays standards that seems terrible but that was the standard of the day.
They used to drill holes into rocks around here. The deed would then reference it.

That’s assuming that the land was surveyed… often the deed would read “by the land of, by the land of, by the land of”…
As you know, that’s when the science of surveying becomes an art. It’s also about the time that I will call a professional.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,316  
I was never a fan of any of Sammy Hagar's solo music, too simple and predictable, but he was an excellent singer and front man for VH. Mediocre composer, but a great singer, for that genre.
I couldn’t agree more, although there are a couple of his songs which I do enjoy. ( I can’t drive… is NOT one of them.) He DJs part time now and a local station airs him on the weekends. He is as boring as his music.
Recently a cruiser marked the line between my woods and a 320 ac timber stand near me. I got him on camera holding a handheld device, but still he marked the same trees over the old paint placed by previous cruisers. I’ve lived here long enough and seen enough cruisers to know they just repaint old markings.

The straight quarter-mile boundary through the woods is really shaped like a bow instead of a straight line which I verified by flying my drone. At some places it is 10 feet from where it should be.
I generally do the same thing, although often you can tell from the age which are more accurate, and only spot those.The only people who can actually “move” lines are registered land surveyors… and they do more than just follow the old lines.
Having said that, if both landowners are in agreement I have straightened lines. On one occasion I was called on to establish a mile of line in the right place, after the surveyor laid out 1500 acres rather than 1050. Again, both landowners were in agreement that I would establish a triline with markers every 100 feet; then use those to correct so that the line was as straight as I could get it.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #5,318  
Again, both landowners were in agreement that I would establish a triline with markers every 100 feet; then use those to correct so that the line was as straight as I could get it.

The forestry manager folks are due to start thinning this stand soon. I have a few mature pines along the line. Last time they cleared, I lost a few (which confirmed to me then that the line wasn’t straight). No big deal but I’ll be watching them closely when they do finally come.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,320  
I'm going to blaspheme here, but I always preferred Van Hagar over Van Roth. Being of the right age, I absolutely love old Van Halen. But that being said, David Lee Roth is an ass, in absolutely every sense of the word.

I was never a fan of any of Sammy Hagar's solo music, too simple and predictable, but he was an excellent singer and front man for VH. Mediocre composer, but a great singer, for that genre.
I guess being a service man during "that time" that it wasn't yet "cool" to be a service man, or a vet, this song has more meaning to me (from that time) than most would give it today.

Very powerful to me... He cared about the returning vets long before it was "cool" to. This was released in 1982, when it was still popular to be "anti-war" and crap on the vets. I was still getting spit on in airports in 1982.

Remember the Heroes, from 3 Lock Box.