Tension roller on Woodland Mills WC88

/ Tension roller on Woodland Mills WC88 #11  
I've just fabricated a bigger diameter tension roller for my WC88 to hopefully extend the life of the belts.

The belt manufacturer (Gates) recommends a minimum diameter of 6" (152mm) for a backside idler (tension roller), but the WM design is only 38mm (1.5").

Is anyone else out there experiencing shorter than expected belt life?

View attachment 735078 View attachment 735079
I got only 30 hours out of my WC88 belts. Tension was set correctly. All failed equally.
Factory support was great, but they said it was not typical. I replaced with another brand of BX belts and have about 50 hours now with no problems. I looked into the roller issue and agree the factory one is too small.

/ Tension roller on Woodland Mills WC88
My belts fell apart in the first year, with around 100 hours use. The replacements (2nd photo) have been on for 18 months and another 100 hours or so of operation. There's a big workout coming again this April/May with the next pruning of the olive trees.

Maybe I should regard them as consumables, and new belts every year or so is just the cost of doing business? But compare timing belts on cars for example - recommended change at typically 100,000 km, @ average speed, say, 80kmh = 1250 hours.

I guess if I only used the chipper for a few hours each year, they'd last a lifetime?

/ Tension roller on Woodland Mills WC88 #13  
There's a lot more power going through these belts than a timing belt in a car. Especially with a 76hp tractor- you could be using a lot of that 76 if you are chipping something large.

/ Tension roller on Woodland Mills WC88 #14  
Slow down the intake roller to the slowest speed and the chipper works much better. It will reduce the heavy tension on the belts, run better and last longer.

IMO, no reason to rush the chipping and stress the unit.

Thanks guys - points taken. Max size of prunings is 100mm diameter, but mostly 75mm or smaller, with lots of even smaller leafy branches. All fresh green wood as well, nothing older than 2 days. So the machine just eats it all. I wouldn't think the machine is over-working itself.

And just so no one gets the wrong end of the stick, it's a great chipper. Nicely designed for operator ease of use and accessibility for maintenance, and well put together. And thinking back to when I took delivery, VERY nicely and securely boxed for the sea voyage, and the steel frame it came in makes a very sturdy workbench too. :giggle:

/ Tension roller on Woodland Mills WC88 #16  
mine is a wc68 so not belt driven for the flywheel just the pump but I had issues with the one belt but mine was because the set screw on the pulley was not tight so the alignment was off.

have you contacted woodland mills they are very helpful. when I mentioned my belt problems they told me to check alignment and thats when I found out the pulley on the pump was loose. they sent me a replacement belt without me even asking for one.

have you contacted woodland mills they are very helpful. when I mentioned my belt problems they told me to check alignment and thats when I found out the pulley on the pump was loose. they sent me a replacement belt without me even asking for one.
When I initially contacted WM Au, they sent me four new belts (plain V belts, not the cogged ones!) which are still on the shelf. I'm keeping that set for emergency spares.

WM Canada recently also suggested mis-alignment of the pulleys was the most likely cause of belt deterioration, rather than the diameter of the tension roller.

Sometimes you have to go with your gut feeling...

/ Tension roller on Woodland Mills WC88 #18  
I also think the 6.5 inch minimum is for a drive or driven pulley not the idler. Definitely check your pulleys are tight on the flywheel shaft and the PTO shaft.

I don't think Michael will mind my posting this. I asked whether a 38mm roller would be detrimental to the service life of the cogged belts.

Gates re belts.jpg

Last edited:
   / Tension roller on Woodland Mills WC88 #20  
I stand corrected, thanks for the update, kind of hard to argue with a reputable OEM manufacturer of the belts.