Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,791  
Lou, my dad had an uncle (his mother's brother) who got some bad moonshine in the Ardmore area way back in the 1920s. He fell on the job, paralyzed, eventually got back the use of his arms and upper body, but only got around with braces on both legs that could be locked at the knee and with the use of crutches the rest of his life. So I guess all my family was leery of moonshine.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,792  
1.5 since yesterday, little light stuff every now and then still. I went out at 7 to put out hay and spotted few hogs, I always keep rifle in truck and pistol on me so creeped threw the wood-line and ended up getting two(6 got away) and spent the other time, walking threw woods trying to catch up with the others but just got soaked...I hate hogs

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,793  
1.5 since yesterday, little light stuff every now and then still. I went out at 7 to put out hay and spotted few hogs, I always keep rifle in truck and pistol on me so creeped threw the wood-line and ended up getting two(6 got away) and spent the other time, walking threw woods trying to catch up with the others but just got soaked...I hate hogs

Not sure what our totals are here around Tyler as of that big band that went through this morning, but it sure did come down earlier. I think I am going to head out to the ranch this afternoon and see where things are at.

I'm with you on the hogs. I need to get my new fall / winter corral trap set up soon, but just haven't had the time. Hopefully my pastures don't pay for that!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,794  
Bird,, sound like lead or galvanize poisoning,, some of the old timers would use galvanize or lead pots to cook their shine in.. which killed or paralyzed a lot of people.. I was around it enough I could tell the good stuff from the bad.. In that area no body wanted a cooker that gave off bad shine,, Bad for business and the county,, Lot of people made a living from it.. My brothers tell me now that part of the state puts out a lot of crystal meth.. old habits/trades die hard.. Lou

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,795  
Our total of rain has been 1.2". It seemed like wave upon wave of heavy rain came last night, but it only added up to 1.2" In the gage this morning.

Bird, a ginger tonic during the 1920s to 1930s was called "Jake." It was sold as tonic, but had 70% alcohol, a real hit during prohibition. In the '30s, the manufacturer added a chemical to cut the Jake and up their yields. The chemical was tasteless, but highly toxic to the spinal cord and nervous system. It caused blindness and paralysis. The common affliction was called "Jake Leg" for the stuttering step of those who recovered from the more severe symptoms, but not the spinal cord damage that affected their walk. Although bad moonshine could cause similar problems, the true Jake Leg condition was the ginger tonic.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,796  
Remember my grandfather talking about Jake tonic,, He didn't have a nice word for it.. If was legal and a way of getting around prohibition.. I always thought they knew what it would do to people when they added the tri-ortho-cresyl phosphate to it.. it came out of jamaca or some island,, lot of competition in the twenty and thirty for liquor.. Lou

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,797  
Not sure what our totals are here around Tyler as of that big band that went through this morning, but it sure did come down earlier. I think I am going to head out to the ranch this afternoon and see where things are at.

I'm with you on the hogs. I need to get my new fall / winter corral trap set up soon, but just haven't had the time. Hopefully my pastures don't pay for that!

I hope you get them out in time,its a full-time job keeping them out of mine. I fixed everything they rooted before I put out the rye and only got one small place since but I have to stay on them...

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,798  
We got 2 tenths of an inch this morning, while I went back to the doctor. Still got the nasal infection. Doc gave me more pharmaceutials and a liquid one that makes your arm hurt.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,799  
We got 2 tenths of an inch this morning, while I went back to the doctor. Still got the nasal infection. Doc gave me more pharmaceutials and a liquid one that makes your arm hurt.
hugs, Brandi

Brandi, I went to the doctor Friday and think I'm getting over my bronchitis finally. Hope you have good luck with healing.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#2,800  
Brandi, I went to the doctor Friday and think I'm getting over my bronchitis finally. Hope you have good luck with healing.
Bird, glad your feeling better, I though you sounded a bit "horse":laughing:

Brandie, I guess you got a shot, but better there than on the rear!

I ended up with only .66 for 3 days, sure could have been worse.