Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,751  
I have a 55 gal drum of bees in a stall at the barn where I keep my tools.. They were singing yesterday.. I will get someone out one of these days to haul them off.. barrel and all.. they have been there about two years so.. I hang up a couple of humming bird feeders in the winter,, fill them a couple times a week.. I go in to get a tool they buss around but never lites on me,, I don't bother them and they don't bother me.. live and let live.. Lou

I'll send you some "bald faced" hornets. They would love your hospitality.:cool:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,752  
Jim they are my little money,, I mean honey makers.. :D,, I will get a picture of the drum today.. If I can remember it.. Lou

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,753  
we don't have a lot of hornets in this area Ron.. growing up in Oklahoma we had lots of them.. wonder why?.. to wet I guess the land to flat and it floods??. Lou

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,754  
we don't have a lot of hornets in this area Ron.. growing up in Oklahoma we had lots of them.. wonder why?.. to wet I guess the land to flat and it floods??. Lou

No problem Lou.
The ones I sent will prefer the highest peak of your house or barns and have generations of experience with hummingbird feeders.
Expect a brown paper box with no return address.:D

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,755  
I see several posts that mention hummingbirds. I had not put out a hummingbird feeder in at least 12, maybe 15 years, but the 16th of last month, I bought one, and a big bottle of the red liquid to put in it. Now I figured it was too early in the year, but I hung it up outside anyway. I don't know if there's been a hummingbird around it or not; haven't seen any anyway, but plenty of bees on it and something, probably just the bees and/or evaporation has lowered the level of liquid about one-fourth. I think there's at least a dozen bees on it right now.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,756  
I see several posts that mention hummingbirds. I had not put out a hummingbird feeder in at least 12, maybe 15 years, but the 16th of last month, I bought one, and a big bottle of the red liquid to put in it. Now I figured it was too early in the year, but I hung it up outside anyway. I don't know if there's been a hummingbird around it or not; haven't seen any anyway, but plenty of bees on it and something, probably just the bees and/or evaporation has lowered the level of liquid about one-fourth. I think there's at least a dozen bees on it right now.

Bird,
We never had much luck with that red water stuff.

My wife mixes 1/2 cup sugar to 1 cup of water and we have two feeders that are always full of hummers and others trying to
nose in.
In early May if we haven't put out the feeders yet the first ones to migrate back come around back and hover in front of the
dining room french doors to tell us to get with the program, so we know they have been here before.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#5,757  
Bird, you will be doing the HB good if you make the nectar as Ron and I do. 4-1 ratio. DO NOT use food coloring

here is an excerpt and a good web site with info on HB.

-One part sugar

-Four parts water

-Boil for 2 minutes

-Cool and fill feeders made for hummingbirds

Bet you didn't know that how to make hummingbird food could be so easy!

There is no need to add food coloring to the feed and it may actually be detrimental to the birds. Why take the chance?

Here is the link:
How To Make Hummingbird Food

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,758  
Yesterday morning 38* and really thick fog but no rain. And in the afternoon 75* and sunshine, 36 degree swing...........That's Texas Weather.

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,759  
Texas Roadside Attractions.

So I ran across this web site of Texas road side attractions. An amazingly long list with photos and location information.

All Texas TBNers should do themselves a favor and take a look.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,760  
Bet you didn't know that how to make hummingbird food could be so easy!

Actually, I did know.:laughing: Many, many years ago, an avid birdwatcher co-worker told me. He had pictures of the hummingbirds sitting on his and his kids fingers in their backyard in Dallas. So I tried that sugar and water recipe the last time I put our hummingbird feeders (as I said, lots of years ago) in Navarro County, and I never saw a hummingbird near it. In fact, only a few bees, but then the ants found it.:pullinghair:

So, once again, I'm giving it a try and whether the hummingbirds show up or not, I think the red color is prettier for me to sit on the patio and look at.:laughing: