Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,761  
Actually, I did know.:laughing: Many, many years ago, an avid birdwatcher co-worker told me. He had pictures of the hummingbirds sitting on his and his kids fingers in their backyard in Dallas. So I tried that sugar and water recipe the last time I put our hummingbird feeders (as I said, lots of years ago) in Navarro County, and I never saw a hummingbird near it. In fact, only a few bees, but then the ants found it.:pullinghair:

So, once again, I'm giving it a try and whether the hummingbirds show up or not, I think the red color is prettier for me to sit on the patio and look at.:laughing:

Bird,
There have been all kinds of tests relating to sugar content of flowers and different mixes of sugar and water for hummers.
Whatever works, is the best.
Our house is always surrounded by flowers in the ground, on the back decks, front porch and hanging pots as well. Our hummers prefer the feeders since the sweetness is stronger but go to the flowers as well, if the feeders are too busy or get empty. There are also flowering ornamental fruit trees close by that they constantly fly back and forth from to the feeders.
Her recipe is a full cup of water with 1/2 cup sugar added so it is really about a 3:1 ratio of mixed volume.
She doesn't boil it since it is usually gone in one day or sooner.
She does clean them well about once a week with a touch of laundry soap and water, no bleach.
Here are a couple pictures showing the water doesn't need color to attract the birds. But if you like it colored, that is fine too.
We buy sugar in 25 pound bags for them in the summer.
The reason for the Oriole feeder in the one shot is I spotted a Baltimore Oriole at the Hummingbird feeders once, so I got one to give him a better perch. The hummers used it like it was there own. You can see they even feed there in a rain storm.
One of the Hornets on the way to Lou is in the other picture. Of course these are previous year pictures. The hummers won't be here till May.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#5,762  
Actually, I did know.:laughing: Many, many years ago, an avid birdwatcher co-worker told me. He had pictures of the hummingbirds sitting on his and his kids fingers in their backyard in Dallas. So I tried that sugar and water recipe the last time I put our hummingbird feeders (as I said, lots of years ago) in Navarro County, and I never saw a hummingbird near it. In fact, only a few bees, but then the ants found it.:pullinghair:

So, once again, I'm giving it a try and whether the hummingbirds show up or not, I think the red color is prettier for me to sit on the patio and look at.:laughing:

WELL! :laughing: apparently you didn't do any "reading/research". Tis tis:laughing: Hummingbirds get carbs from the sugar water, but most of their nutrition comes from "bugs". Here is a decent Pro and Con about "red dyes". Your $ though:D

I have found the feeder is what makes the biggest difference. We switched to these last year and immediately saw more "action". Easy to clean and has a "ant mote"
Amazon.com: Aspects 367 Hummzinger Ultra Hummingbird Feeder, 12-Ounce: Patio, Lawn & Garden

#5,763  
Ron, nice photos:thumbsup: Your HB seem to get along better than my "Texas" brood!!!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,764  
Ron, nice photos:thumbsup: Your HB seem to get along better than my "Texas" brood!!!

They are rather "pesky" at times. particularly the scarlet throated males.:D

But we can stand right next to the feeder and they could care less. My wife has gotten them to land on
her hand/finger at times. Of course when I go for the camera that one is gone when I get back:confused3:

#5,765  
They are rather "pesky" at times. particularly the scarlet throated males.:D

But we can stand right next to the feeder and they could care less. My wife has gotten them to land on
her hand/finger at times. Of course when I go for the camera that one is gone when I get back:confused3:

I have read by long time HB folks, that the HB actually know who feeds them, if that is true, it is pretty neat. Our females are much more tolerant to us, the males spend much of the day trying to own the yard. We put out several in front and back and it is funny to watch the males wear themselves out.

I had built some metal work for a "well off" couple outside of Ouray Colorado, During the installation, my daughter was on the wrap around porch with the lady of the house, they had around 20 HB feeders around the deck. I went outside and the lady had given my daughter a stick about a foot long to hold between her teeth, there where about 6 HB sitting on it right next to her nose!! If I can find the photo, I will post it.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,766  
I have read by long time HB folks, that the HB actually know who feeds them, if that is true, it is pretty neat. Our females are much more tolerant to us, the males spend much of the day trying to own the yard. We put out several in front and back and it is funny to watch the males wear themselves out.

I had built some metal work for a "well off" couple outside of Ouray Colorado, During the installation, my daughter was on the wrap around porch with the lady of the house, they had around 20 HB feeders around the deck. I went outside and the lady had given my daughter a stick about a foot long to hold between her teeth, there where about 6 HB sitting on it right next to her nose!! If I can find the photo, I will post it.

Dennis, I'd love to see that photo of your daughter. That's neat! I've heard that hummers come back year after year to the same location. If you let your feeder run low, they may go and not return. I know that some years we have our feeders mobbed, while other years we see steady numbers during hummer season.

Ron: I think hummers may be more populous in your area than ours. They go where the weather is most likely to produce flowers. Your milder summer temperatures may be responsible for more flowering plants that aren't in the sunflower family like so many of our summer flowers here in Texas.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,767  
Her recipe is a full cup of water with 1/2 cup sugar added so it is really about a 3:1 ratio of mixed volume.

Ron,
Two parts water to one part sugar.:scratchchin: The math I was taught:teacher: says that is a 2 to 1 mixture.:yes: Or:confused3: is this just a time where you hit:bullseye: the 3 key, instead of the :point:2 key?
hugs, Brandi:us-texas::cowgirl:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,768  
One of my favorite stories(my wife is not fond of it, but it is funny). My wife is very smart and well educated(I married well above my station). Valedictorian of her all girl Catholic HS, Northwestern University, but she doesn't put on airs and fits in really well here in East Texas.

One year I asked here when she was going to fill up the HB feeders, and she replies that she'll get some food made up for them this afternoon. When she fills the feeder she states "That ought to bring them in."

A couple of days later I notice I haven't seen any HB and I mention it to her. She says that she has seen a few and they just flew around the feeder then left and she wonders what the problem is. I asked if she used the same recipe as she did the year before. She said yes it was the same except she didn't have any sugar, so she used Nutra-sweet. 30 minutes later I was able to stop laughing and pick myself up off the ground and explain to her that it wasn't sweet taste that brought them in it was the calorie boost.

The few that we saw the rest of that year were very skinny.

Charlie

#5,769  
Charlie, that is funny:laughing: Now you have "diabetic" HB's!!

Brandi, that mixture (2-1) will grow bacteria very well!! 4-1 is what 's recommended.

Jim, I will ask the boss tonight, it has bee several years. I believe your on to something, as far as HB numbers. When we lived in the mountains, or further North, there seemed to always be an abundance of them.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,770  
Ron,
Two parts water to one part sugar.:scratchchin: The math I was taught:teacher: says that is a 2 to 1 mixture.:yes: Or:confused3: is this just a time where you hit:bullseye: the 3 key, instead of the :point:2 key?
hugs, Brandi:us-texas::cowgirl:

Brandi,
Did they teach you about "volume" in school?
What I said was: Originally Posted by pacerron View Post

1/2 cup of sugar equals 4 oz. volume.
1 cup of water equals 8 oz. volume.
When the syrup is mixed together 1/3 of the ingredients by volume is sugar, thus a 3:1 ratio of mixed volume.
The total volume when mixed will be less than 1.5 cups.