Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,661  
Sam, If you continue West up 199 past Azle to La Junta, there was a guy selling 55 gallon barrels on the right, he's been there for 10 years, but has had a "for sale" sign up on the property. If he isn't there, there is another guy about 2 miles North of Springtown that has a couple hundred, on the right side of the road as well.

Looks like another "breezy" day, I wont be putting up tin today that's for sure!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,662  
Thanks John, the wind is still roaring outside. I'm going now to take a quick drive over to where the fire was just to make sure.....the wind was blowing so hard while we were there that a little whiff of smoke could go undetected for a while.

Don, I'd say that you dodged a bullet yesterday, but since you posted about your electric fence encounter, maybe you just got grazed by the bullet. I hope your hand calms down soon. The nerves surely got a big surprise from that electric fence. I'm sure glad that on the south side of my house is big open area that would provide a great firebreak if anyone here ever set the woods on fire.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,663  
Jim, what would you take for one of those clean barrels? Are the 55 gal, 35 gal or what? I am looking to convert one into a wood burning stove with the adapter they sell at Tractor Supply. I think it is made by US Stove Company. Moving to Hugo, OK in a couple of months, but still in Lakeside, Tx off Hwy 199 near Lake Worth currently.
Sam

Sam, I'd be happy to let you have one of those 50 gal barrels for $5, but you'll probably spend twice to three times that much just driving from your area up here and back home. It turns out that my brother was wrong about one of them containing oil. All three barrels were empty, but they all have been sitting in the dirt, so the bottoms are beginning to rust, especially around the lip that digs into the ground. They are all labelled New Holland 15W40 oil, so they must have come from a NH dealer somewhere who bought in bulk. I can always find uses for a barrel, but if you really want one of these, I'll part with one of them.

BTW: As Dennis pointed out, there are lots of people selling barrels. Another place is north of Decatur on Hwy 287 behind the Rest Area beside Cow Camp Steakhouse. The guy there sells both plastic and metal barrels. I have no idea what he charges, but I'd think $10 would be a big price. I think the sources Dennis pointed out could be your best bet. With the price of fuel, even paying a bit more close to home makes sense.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,665  
Been having to drive the fence's everyday to keep trees off it,so cows don't get out. Me and the oldest boy filled the back of the toyota up with limbs just from the hay meadow. I got the drag out on the places the hogs torn up,expecting another rain,well it rain for 2min.then nothing else..

Baseball sign ups yesterday,my 11yr old and youngest turning 4 in march gets to play this year,my boys growing up fast.

#1,666  
I see the problem, Dennis. It's not a Kubota.:D

Bird, funny you say that, they are now recommending I use the 9,000# Kubota skid steer for my remaining time They said it is the one the Texas Forest service uses?

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,668  
Bird, funny you say that, they are now recommending I use the 9,000# Kubota skid steer for my remaining time They said it is the one the Texas Forest service uses?
Dennis,
WHAT? Use a skid steer? That is outrageous.
hugs, Brandi

#1,669  
Dennis,
WHAT? Use a skid steer? That is outrageous.
hugs, Brandi

:laughing: Thats what I thought too!, but after looking on the "net" it seems it is quite common! dont know if it would work on a Texas black oak cemented on red clay, but they swear by it. "They said" it pushes down and cuts the roots, then push it over....sounds easy enough:laughing:

#1,670  
Brandi!! This little Kubota SVL75 is incredible!! I accomplished more in an hour and a half than I did with 5 hrs on the excavator! This skid steer at 75hp dug out the largest trees left and never strained. I had to dig around the base forcing the bucked under to cut the roots, then just pushed'm over:thumbsup: If I needed one for work, I wouldn't think twice spending the $$ for one, talk about a powerful, versatile machine.

I have operated a few Bobcats and IMO this thing is a Cadillac, much bigger than it looks at just over 9000#. The SVL 90 has to be a monster.

I am tickled and "in love":laughing::D tree behind the machine measure 28"
0227131336_zps389d9114.jpg