Texas Spring/Summer Thread

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #6,781  
Port Arthur, Texas has put out a call for boats. The Cajun Navy in the Houston area is still busy and mostly can't get over there due to I-10 East at the San Jancinto River is flooded, near Baytown. There are boats there right now, but not enough.
Here's another photo college, a few air shots. First photo is, I think, Hooks Airport near Tomball. I worked there in 1978 and 1979, my first aviation job after A&P School. This is about 8 miles north of Cypress Creek. We would have high water there often and mostly just enough to ruin wheel bearings. These planes, at the least, will need new wheel bearings and races and brakes inspected.

Here's rainfall totals at three of the Houston airports. I have worked at all 3.
HOUSTON/WILL HOBBY 27.88
HOUSTON/D.W. HOOKS 27.01
HOUSTON/INTERCONTINENTAL 31.26
Only airport I have worked at that is not listed is Montgomery County (CXO) in Conroe, about 6 minutes from me. I had (airport guess) 22-23 inches of rain.
As Houston dries out, rescues and recovery continue - Houston Chronicle
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #6,782  
The Colorado is out of the banks and not expected to crest until tomorrow. We awoke to the sound of boat motors. We can see the Sheriff's deputy on a road across the corn field blocking the road. We walked over there to see what's up. The river is about one mile from the house. Per our neighbor, his dad is 93 years old and still lives over there. He has never seen the water this high. He's on high ground, so should be ok. Water won't get to us, but it's darn close and they are closing the roads all around us. We're kinda of trapped on an island right now. Still doing far better than those who are under water, and they are in our prayers.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #6,783  
Southwest will not begin flights into Hobby Airport until around noon on Saturday, the 2nd.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #6,784  
Inverness Forest subdivsion's levee on Cypress Creek in north Harris County is leaking at the bottom. They are going to be bringing in sand and dropped by helicopter in a short while. The engineer says it will be okay. We'll see.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #6,785  
Southwest will not begin flights into Hobby Airport until around noon on Saturday, the 2nd.
hugs, Brandi

All area airports now closed to commercial aircraft until further notice.

Airspace over entire Harvey Area closed to everything but emergency, military, FEMA, etc.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #6,786  

Airspace over entire Harvey Area closed to everything but emergency, military, FEMA, etc.

Above was announced at Governor Abbot's news conference.

Houston mayor just had a news conference and said airports would be opening tomorrow? Conflicted info?

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #6,787  
Just read online that 25-30% of Harris County's total area is under water. Yikes!

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #6,788  
ABC 13 reporting Bush and Bobby are reopening today at 4 with limited service.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #6,789  

Commerical aircraft and scheduled airlines are two different critters. Here is the link to the Houston Airport System for Hobby..............Hobby

Alerts |
Houston Airport System

Here is for IAH.......... IAH

Alerts |
Houston Airport System

Houston Airports Prepares to Resume Operations After Hurricane Harvey

The Houston Airports plans to resume limited domestic airline passenger service TODAY at 4 p.m. following severe weather caused by Hurricane Harvey. The plan is to begin a phased return to service, with full serice expected by this weekend. Contact your air carrier for specific flight status updates regarding your flight. Only those with a ticket for a confirmed scheduled flight should come to the airport. Many roads around the City of Houston are still unsafe for travel, therefore, we urge all passengers to take their time arriving to the airports and to solidify a safe route to and/or from our facilities.

Southwest will begin operations about noon on Friday. This is straight from my company email.

hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #6,790  
Yep, guess someone forgot to tell the Governor?