Texas Spring/Summer Thread

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #7,171  
I 35 can be a quagmire. Time your trip best you can. Safe travels.
Unfortunately, I have found out the hard way a few times. 130 can be nice to loop around the city, but I think we have to go downtown. I have built in some cushion, of it was just me in would be out of here by 5am and into Austin before most of them woke up. I have learned to trust Waze. Sometimes back rounds are faster than the Interstate.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #7,172  
Unfortunately, I have found out the hard way a few times. 130 can be nice to loop around the city, but I think we have to go downtown. I have built in some cushion, of it was just me in would be out of here by 5am and into Austin before most of them woke up. I have learned to trust Waze. Sometimes back rounds are faster than the Interstate.
Waze will take you places you ask why. Then I check google maps of the route that is faster and major red lines back up for miles. I learned to follow Waze after not following it a time or to driving to and from work 62 miles.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #7,173  
Yes its still "country" out here, but the invasion is turning into "suburbia"

Just received new appraisal from county and EVERYTHING DOUBLED.
Taxes gonna hurt even more!

Guess I'll try to fire up the old Toro ZT and knock down the weeds. Not much turf yet.
Supposedly 2 amendments passed, 1 raises the homestead exemption amount and the other I think has something to do with 65 and older.
Unfortunately the 1st one does not provide substantial property tax relief, so what if they exclude 40K instead of 25K (15K increase) when the appraisal amount goes up 100K or more.

What really needs to happen to help home owners is the Homestead cap should be lowered from 10% max to 2% max, that would be real and meaningful Property tax help!
I have posted this on a few forums and asked for help in what do we need to do to get this enacted, no one seems to know.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #7,174  
Supposedly 2 amendments passed, 1 raises the homestead exemption amount and the other I think has something to do with 65 and older.
Unfortunately the 1st one does not provide substantial property tax relief, so what if they exclude 40K instead of 25K (15K increase) when the appraisal amount goes up 100K or more.

What really needs to happen to help home owners is the Homestead cap should be lowered from 10% max to 2% max, that would be real and meaningful Property tax help!
I have posted this on a few forums and asked for help in what do we need to do to get this enacted, no one seems to know.
Contact your Rep and/or Senator. Ask to meet with them, then spill your beans.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #7,175  
hugs, Brandi
Inspired me to check out the plans...there's a plan at the state level to cap local revenue increases at 3.5% per year (unless it was voter approved). This approach would apply to valuations as well as rates.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #7,176  
hugs, Brandi
While good in theory, it won't do anything, One person meeting with a representative won't get any traction. It has to be a larger group of people or possibly a petition, again, I'm not sure how to proceed yet.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #7,177  
Then take a group of like minded people with you. You don't meet them face to face, they don't know who you are.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #7,178  
I would like to see property taxes eliminated if it produces no income.
Replace with a sales or flat tax that is related to actual expenses of the taxing jurisdiction.

Why should old people with low fixed income be taxed on heavily inflated values, especially when they use little of the services?

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #7,179  
I agree that property taxes should be eliminated and replaced with a consumer tax.

Also school administrative positions should be cut by 60% and school budgets reduced accordingly.

The amount of money wasted in our public schools is a crime in itself.
The time I’ve spent tutoring my 16 year old niece has proven to me that 3 out 4 teachers couldn’t care less about the effectiveness of their lesson plans.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #7,180  
I agree that property taxes should be eliminated and replaced with a consumer tax.

Also school administrative positions should be cut by 60% and school budgets reduced accordingly.

The amount of money wasted in our public schools is a crime in itself.
The time I’ve spent tutoring my 16 year old niece has proven to me that 3 out 4 teachers couldn’t care less about the effectiveness of their lesson plans.
Too often in rural areas especially schools have become the largest employer in the county. So, they have evolved from having a purpose of educating children to be productive citizens and instead become patronage job centers for friends and allies of the local establishment.