Flail Mower Thanks Leonz - Flail Mower DANDL

/ Thanks Leonz - Flail Mower DANDL #1  

Lnk

Gold Member
Tractor
Ferguson to-20, Deutz D7007, Yazoo yhr-60, Gravely 5240, Gravely C8 and model L,
First off, this being my first thread I started, I just want to say this place is great. After reading through 384 pages and 3839 posts, I purchased a DANDL 9 foot flail mower on ebay. Could not find any bad reviews, or good reviews, so will do that once I get it. I have to arrange shipping yet.

Here is the mower I purchased...

9' Dandl Flail Mower

That being said, a little background. My wife and I have a 21 acre homestead in Eastern TN that we are planning to move full time to next June. We have about 15 of those acres in pasture and brush hog 3-4 times a year now. I am hesitant to rotary mow near the house as we have dogs and rotary mowers throw things sometimes. :laughing: I have been looking for a solution to this, which brings me to this recent purchase. I have used a 5', a 7' and a 10' rotary, but don't care for the (winrows?) left behind from mowing. Also with the blackberries that sprout up, I would like to chop them finer than the pieces left behind by the rotary.

I know I should not have purchased the flail without testing it first. I have been assured by the seller that all works as it should, and am mechanically inclined and can repair anything that is broken within reason.

Does anyone have any information on DANDL flail mowers or links as there is just not much out there?

Thanks for any information in advance.

LNK

Last edited:
   / Thanks Leonz - Flail Mower DANDL #2  
Hello Ink,

I want to welcome you as the newest resident member of the flail mower nations.

You can purchase many Dandl parts from Flail Master and other suppliers.
If I remember correctly Flail Master is in Tennessee as well.

New Belts-buy the green Kevlar V belts, new gear oil, remove the V belt cover and scrape out all the grass
and rubber dust use hot water and Dawn Dish soap if possible to clean it to
expose any grease fittings hidden by the dirt.

Be sure the inner bear housings do not have anything wrapped around them as the brush/junk/garbage/barbed wire will help hold in heat and cook your bearings.

Be sure to use either Dawn and hot water or good hand cleaner to clean the gearbox faces where the shaft stubs exit and check for any seepage of fresh oil.

If the gear box has a pressure vent be sure to remove it and soak it in either peroxide or alcohol after you wipe and wash it off to make sure the vent is free of debris.

NO MORE than 7 pumps of grease to start and if you see fresh grease stop no matter what and do the same with the rear roller bearing.

The open bearing from the output shaft side of the gearbox comes next and be sure to check that the shaft cannot wobble. 5 pumps of grease or until you see fresh greas and wipe up any excess grease from all the bearings as it will trap both dirt and heat.

If the snubber pulley has any wobble get a new one from flail master.
If you have a PTO shaft to use great, if not be sure to purchase one rated for your mule and you can find directions on youtube or links from the TBN attachments page showing how to do it correctly to avoid expensive damage.

Please stop and ask questions and then ask more questions to avoid problems and please post some images when you have the time.

Welcome to the Flail Mower Nations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pronovost or not at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Once you go flail you never go back.
I think I have lost count on how many flailmowers have to replace rotary cutters 18,400+- to go before flail mowers do it all.

Still looking for a three point hitch integral mounted Mott Interstater with the Wisconsin V-4 air cooled engine.

/ Thanks Leonz - Flail Mower DANDL
Thanks for the welcome. Doesn't seem like anyone has any information on these flails. I can not even find out about the company. Seems they never existed. Found reference tin a thread on another forum that says Alamo bought the company, but just speculation on someones part. At least the parts are available from Flailmaster....

BTT - Anyone?

/ Thanks Leonz - Flail Mower DANDL #5  
Thank you.

Update - First thing I noticed about the mower is that it can be converted to either rotation rather easily. The PO had the flail running in tire rotation direction, and while it cut, it did not have the air flow sucking in dry leaves as I mowed. This mower has 80 stations with duckfoot blades, though the PO did also provide a bucket of spares and side cutters. I flipped the gearbox to reverse the rotation, input on front and rear of gearbox, (blades cutting opposite tire rotation) and am currently in the middle of reversing the duckfoot blades. Should be done in a couple of hours, after I finish my coffee ;-) .

Couple of observations, the deck is really heavy, approximately 3/16" thickness. Also, it has better eyesight than I, as it found some fence wire I could not even see. Also, barbed wire is more of a pain to remove than steel 2-wire barbless (whatever that really is called). Learned to be even more careful as I can not get those three hours back.

All in all very happy with the mower. Will post pictures later after mowing the new configuration...

LNK

Update - First thing I noticed about the mower is that it can be converted to either rotation rather easily. The PO had the flail running in tire rotation direction, and while it cut, it did not have the air flow sucking in dry leaves as I mowed. This mower has 80 stations with duckfoot blades, though the PO did also provide a bucket of spares and side cutters. I flipped the gearbox to reverse the rotation, input on front and rear of gearbox, (blades cutting opposite tire rotation) and am currently in the middle of reversing the duckfoot blades. Should be done in a couple of hours, after I finish my coffee ;-) .

Couple of observations, the deck is really heavy, approximately 3/16" thickness. Also, it has better eyesight than I, as it found some fence wire I could not even see. Also, barbed wire is more of a pain to remove than steel 2-wire barbless (whatever that really is called). Learned to be even more careful as I can not get those three hours back.

All in all very happy with the mower. Will post pictures later after mowing the new configuration...

LNK
Pictures as promised.

20170221_091215.jpg20170221_091141.jpg20170221_091130.jpg

/ Thanks Leonz - Flail Mower DANDL #9  
re: DANDL Flail Mower

DANDL - Flail Mower

> Thanks for the welcome. Doesn't seem like anyone has any information on
> these flails. I can not even find out about the company. Seems they never
> existed. Found reference tin a thread on another forum that says Alamo
> bought the company, but just speculation on someones part. At least the
> parts are available from Flailmaster

Hello to everyone and the group... didn't need to join in to this thread other
than to reply to the Dandl questions.

Dandl was an equipment manufacturing company located at Chico, CA. Out
near the Airport if you're familiar with that area. There is no information about
what happened to Dandl, they could have been purchased or just plain went
out of business because of economic reasons.

The DANDL Flail Mower is a well constructed unit, all the generic parts are
standard sizes. I buy the triple fan belt from the Bearing Belt and Chain dealer
near my home, there are BBC stores in Chico, Woodland and Yuba City, CA.

The bearings are generic, I bought most all of them from a local supplier,
they are not cheap.

One of our units lost or sustained damage to the triple wide idle wheel, I
had to hunt around, but did find the replacement in 2016.

Getting the gearbox fixed or replaced, might be an exercise, but I've not had
to do that on any of the units we have here now. The underside where the
cutters are... the D-rings and what someone describes as the "duck-foot cutters"
are available at Tractor Supply Stores.

Grease the bearings and U-joints well, it should last you a long time and most
everything is serviceable. Sorry to see Dandl or Dandle no longer in business, but
their high quality flail mowers do live on in regular service.

cheers,

skipp

skipp025 at ya who period com

re: DANDL Flail Mower

DANDL - Flail Mower

> Thanks for the welcome. Doesn't seem like anyone has any information on
> these flails. I can not even find out about the company. Seems they never
> existed. Found reference tin a thread on another forum that says Alamo
> bought the company, but just speculation on someones part. At least the
> parts are available from Flailmaster

Hello to everyone and the group... didn't need to join in to this thread other
than to reply to the Dandl questions.

Dandl was an equipment manufacturing company located at Chico, CA. Out
near the Airport if you're familiar with that area. There is no information about
what happened to Dandl, they could have been purchased or just plain went
out of business because of economic reasons.

I believe they were purchased by Alamo, might have on their way out of business when that happened.

The DANDL Flail Mower is a well constructed unit, all the generic parts are
standard sizes. I buy the triple fan belt from the Bearing Belt and Chain dealer
near my home, there are BBC stores in Chico, Woodland and Yuba City, CA.

The bearings are generic, I bought most all of them from a local supplier,
they are not cheap.

One of our units lost or sustained damage to the triple wide idle wheel, I
had to hunt around, but did find the replacement in 2016.

Getting the gearbox fixed or replaced, might be an exercise, but I've not had
to do that on any of the units we have here now. The underside where the
cutters are... the D-rings and what someone describes as the "duck-foot cutters"
are available at Tractor Supply Stores.

Does yours have the wierd -u- shaped "d-rings"? I have to get a few from flail master as some are bent inward and seem too loose for my liking

Grease the bearings and U-joints well, it should last you a long time and most
everything is serviceable. Sorry to see Dandl or Dandle no longer in business, but
their high quality flail mowers do live on in regular service.

cheers,

skipp

skipp025 at ya who period com

Thanks Skipp for the information. My deck has a few cracks that are in need of welding. The gearbox is tight, though I did have to scrape the paint off the rear PTO input in order to flip the gearbox. The PO had the flail spinning in tire travel direction. Will get more use in the months to come as we are retiring to our place in TN in early June. Any advice you can give on this flail is appreciated. Mine is a 9 foot with 80 stations and currently running scoop knives. Might switch over to y blades if I don't like the way it cuts tall green grass....

LNK