That wasn't part of the plan!

/ That wasn't part of the plan! #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
:mad:

Was finishing up smoothing over a place where I had a water line break back in Jan. and went to turn and the left front wheel rubbed up against a soft dirt edge. Sort of like a deep rut that a logging truck might leave behind. All of sudden all the air leaked out of that tire. Whoops, must have snapped off the valve stem. That was a mighty rickety ride back to the barn very slowly. The L2501 did not like having a tire coming off the rim...even a little bit...lol :confused2: I'll remove it and go by the tire shop so it can have a new stem and refill. All the hours that I have spent on tractors and never had that happen before. I definitely had a wtf moment. As my mother would say, the only time I ever heard her curse....."sh^t fire". I asked an old black man that I worked with years ago about that and he told me, "white boy, back in the depression, people would say sh*t fire and save the matches"... lol. :rolleyes:

/ That wasn't part of the plan! #2  
My L3240 had guards welded around the valve stem. I noticed my L3800 doesn't have them. I really should weld them on but I'll probably wait until I tear them off and then fix it. That's my usual method of problem solving.

/ That wasn't part of the plan! #3  
I have lost tires in the field and driven the tractor to a place to repair by lowering the bucket enough to take the weight off the front end and backing up while steering with left and right brakes.

/ That wasn't part of the plan! #4  
You can also gain a little more control if you wedge the good tire down on the axle pivot with a piece of wood.

Also have a selection of new valve stems that I have at the house to save a trip to town.

David

/ That wasn't part of the plan! #6  
Better to happen near home than the back 40 in rough area. :(

/ That wasn't part of the plan! #7  
I had that happen with a rear tire on my old L3030. The R4 tire was filled with anti freeze. I made a bee line for the barn before the tire went completely flat as it spewed liquid all over the place! It left a quarter mile long streak of dead grass across the field.

/ That wasn't part of the plan! #8  
My L3240 had guards welded around the valve stem. I noticed my L3800 doesn't have them. I really should weld them on but I'll probably wait until I tear them off and then fix it. That's my usual method of problem solving.

Exactly! Until you tear the stems off, you don't really need guards!

You can also gain a little more control if you wedge the good tire down on the axle pivot with a piece of wood.

Also have a selection of new valve stems that I have at the house to save a trip to town.

David
This will work. But would you also dare lifting one side of front axle up with a chain to the loader (pull yourself up by your own bootstrap kind of thing)?

/ That wasn't part of the plan! #9  
I have lost tires in the field and driven the tractor to a place to repair by lowering the bucket enough to take the weight off the front end and backing up while steering with left and right brakes.

What he said! :thumbsup:

Lay the bucket flat on the ground and then curl the front lip up another 1". Then push the joystick forward until the flat front tire doesn't have all the weight on it, and drive backwards to wherever you need to go. Works great and slides right along. :thumbsup:

/ That wasn't part of the plan! #10  
Or ask your wife for help getting it back to the barn.

Then duck when she swings the frying pan!!

c54a21c2c1046dc9e92c7b6d4f75c108--good-wife-perfect-wife.jpg