That wobbly, uncomfortable, rotating tractor/loader/backhoe seat...hate it!

/ That wobbly, uncomfortable, rotating tractor/loader/backhoe seat...hate it! #22  
where did you get the seat?

/ That wobbly, uncomfortable, rotating tractor/loader/backhoe seat...hate it!
Amazon dude, hundred bux.

/ That wobbly, uncomfortable, rotating tractor/loader/backhoe seat...hate it! #24  
Amazon dude, hundred bux.

Part number or pic off amazon, I like that seat it would be nice to try on the 1705.

Jim.

Guys, anybody who's interested in doing this, I'm gonna post some info to help you out.

Before anything, I do need to tell you that with this new seat of mine, I got rid of the bracket holding the safety cut-off switch. It got in the way in 2 different ways, so had to go, which is no biggie for me since I didn't use the switch anyways (like the previous owner, I had it ziptied in the closed position). But, I'm definitely not telling you to get rid of the safety switch though, just saying that you're gonna need to put in some extra work not outlined here to get all that to function properly. Me, I just bent the bracket back over itself, out of the way. Also that way, if I'll have to put the original seat back and re-install the safety, for resale or whatever, I'll have that option. As for the switch itself, I just shoved that down into the gap that's down there under the seat pan.

Anyways, on to the project. Here's what it looks like when you have the old seat and turn mechanism off the tractor and are ready to get started: IMG_20190910_183332.jpg You'll use those screws for the mounts. Actually, you'll just reuse all the screws/nuts, you won't need anything extra except for 2 sets of screws/nuts for the seat pivot brackets (more on that below).

You'll also reuse the slide rails that are on the original seat, but you can't just bolt them on and call it a day. You'll need to fabricate some mounts for them to make this whole thing work. I used steel flat bar, 2" x 3/8", it came in 36" length at home depot for like $25. Here's it set up on my mill: IMG_20190910_164544.jpg The top holes are for the rails, bottom holes mount these things on the tractor. This pic was from my first attempt, but when I put everything together, I found myself sitting way too close to the steering wheel, and consequently a little too far from the backhoe even with the seat moved all the way back. So, back on my mill I went and drilled another set of holes to move the rails a little farther back.

I'm 5'7", and I found these dimensions just about right for me: print.png If you're a taller dude, you might want to decrease that 2.25" dimension. Or really, since you already have it all set up for drilling, you could just drill a couple different hole sets so that you have options where to mount the rails, why not? You could maybe start a set parallel with the bottom set of holes, and then just do a few sets to the right of that. The important thing is that you be 11.250" on center between holes, for both top and bottom rows of holes. Also, on the drawing up there, note that vertical dimension of 1.491", that's the distance between top row of holes and bottom of bar, not the distance between top and bottom hole rows.

Once all that is done, you take your rails that you got off the original seat, mount them on the rail mounts you just fabbed, and mount the mounts on the tractor. IMG_20190911_123411.jpg And then, mount the seat pan on the rails: IMG_20190912_133215.jpg Notice how I got the cut-off switch bracket bent back like I mentioned earlier.

Here's the seat I purchased for this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003F01VT6?tag=viglink20660-20. It comes with it's own rails, but you won't use them (they suck anyways). But, you will use the screws they're attached with, though.

Next, you're going to strip the pivot hinges and backplate off the original seat and just mount them on this new seat. The backplate mounts as is. But, the pivot hinges need a little work, you need to drill an extra hole in each one so that they won't move around on you. IMG_20190908_161513.jpg. You're also gonna need a drop-in t-nut, like the kind used to connect extruded aluminum profiles. images.jpg I already had some lying around from older projects. Just get them on ebay or amazon, or see if they have some at your local home center or ace.

And....that's pretty much it. Mount the seat to the seat pan, and you're good to go!

Attachments

• TRACTOR SEAT MOUNTS.pdf
    9.2 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
   / That wobbly, uncomfortable, rotating tractor/loader/backhoe seat...hate it! #27  
Thanks I added it to my list.

Jim.

Thanks I added it to my list.

Jim.

Jim, just keep in mind that you won't be able to use the safety cut-off switch as is with the new seat, you're gonna need to modify something there a little bit. And also will need to modify a few things with the pivot mounts. None of that is a biggie, but just wanted to make sure you're aware that it's not a simple seat swap.

/ That wobbly, uncomfortable, rotating tractor/loader/backhoe seat...hate it! #29  
Like you said, no biggie just some simple modifications.

Jim.

/ That wobbly, uncomfortable, rotating tractor/loader/backhoe seat...hate it! #30  
IMG_1359.jpg
IMG_1362.jpg
IMG_1363.jpg

Well....along with other guys good ideas....I got one of those 'inexpensive' (don't like the word cheap?) boat seats from Amazon, Welded up a little scrap (no, I'm not much of a metal worker, but hey....) and fixed the problem with the 'easy to use rotating seat' fiasco that works fine if you have 3 arms and 4 hands.....

The end product is SO MUCH EASIER to use, and actually speeds up the work when I use the backhoe. I think my total investment was two cutoff blades for my angle grinder, and 50 dollars for the seat. Don't look closely at the welding please! To use it, I simply push the front seat over the steering wheel, and roll the back seat up into position. Takes maybe 5 seconds! Whew!