That's a BIG Pig!

/ That's a BIG Pig! #22  
Eddie is probably right. A lot of that goes on here. There was a case a few years ago where down east a guy killed a 1000 LB black bear. Ended up local hog farmer ( big operation think several hog barns a 500 to 1000 per barn ) had a pit where he dumped dead pigs. You could tell by picture bear was young and extremely fat. Probably from eating 2 or 3 pigs per week.
Scott

/ That's a BIG Pig! #23  
BR, the pig looks 3-4 times bigger than that guy to me?

Yep .. Remember I raise domestic hogs .., when my boars get to big that the sows can't support them I cut them and full feed them for 90 days them off to the butcher ... Last one was 675 lbs .. Comparing that to the picture he landed a 800-1000 lb hog ... Something is wrong ... Heck that hogs head is as big as the man ?!!

/ That's a BIG Pig! #25  
Yep .. Remember I raise domestic hogs .., when my boars get to big that the sows can't support them I cut them and full feed them for 90 days them off to the butcher ... Last one was 675 lbs .. Comparing that to the picture he landed a 800-1000 lb hog ... Something is wrong ... Heck that hogs head is as big as the man ?!!

Photoshop?? The leaves at the snout look odd to me as well, abnormally large compared to the "scene"

/ That's a BIG Pig! #26  
since I am considering moving to NC next year, boy did this story catch my eye.
Didn't think hogs this big were running around loose; need a heck of a food supply to get that big.
And maybe a bigger gun than my 22...

We had a tenant on our farm that asked if he could hunt deer. We didn't allow it, hadn't for thirty years after digging
a slug out of the side of our stone farmhouse two feet from the front door. He was a bow and arrow hunter, so we said sure.
He built a stand in the woods, and we saw that he had taken a block of salt and put it at the base of the tree where his stand was.
Sometime later someone asked him about how his hunting was and he said great. The deer walked up to the salt block below him and
he shot straight down at it. He took the meat to an organization that cut it up and distributed most of it to shelters, but it still made us
shake our head. It wasn't hunting, it was harvesting. But then that's what puts the steak on our tables, it sure isn't the mighty hunter any more.
I don't hunt, but would if I had to.

But if I met an animal that big in the woods, I'd sure want to go my own way. At least it can't climb a tree...

/ That's a BIG Pig! #27  
What is hunting and when did it become something to impress others or prove manliness? I've been on hunts on estates and fenced ranches and had a fantastic time. I've shot animals, and sometimes I didn't. I've hunted on massive ranches with deer everywhere that only had barbwire fences for cattle and found the animals to be everywhere and out in the open all day long. It was like deciding on what cow you wanted out of the herd. Simple and easy. I've been to Alaska and Canada where the caribou walked right past you and one time I was nervous one of them would step on me as they went past where I was laying.

I don't judge others and appreciate that they are out enjoying what they want to do. If it's legal, then that's all that matters. If a guy is a member of a hunting club and they release hogs onto the property, I'm not going to degrade whoever it was that shot the animal, same with pheasant hunts at clubs or fishing in a stocked pond. What I do and enjoy isn't about what others think of me or what is judged by others as "hunting" or being a man. I do it for fun and the total experience.

If you have never done a fully guided hunt at a fancy lodge, then all I can say is you are missing out on one of the best times of your life. The hunting may be great, or it might be terrible. I've had both, but I always enjoy the experience when it happens and look forward to the next time. Having the horses ready for you in the morning after enjoying a nice breakfast is nice. Having a guide who knows the mountains and where he's seen the animals over the years is nice. Having somebody with years of experience there to talk to about the animals and what they do, along with other hunters is also nice. It's a learning experience that can't be beat, but it's also a very fun way to enjoy a vacation.

I've also done the backpack thing into wilderness areas where nobody else goes. I once went six days without seeing another human. That was a bit strange, but also kind of fun. Got a nice 4x3 mule deer on that one. Two weeks in a canoe, ten days on a mountain soaking wet every day, and many weeks in national forest without ever seeing a buck or bull all over the western US.

Why do some hunters put down others who do something different they do it? Why do bow hunters say rifle hunters are not real hunters and that they don't have the skills they do? then open site, primitive hunters say the same thing about modern bow hunters? Muzzle loaders against rifle hunters? Guy who hunts his back 40 and shoots just for meat and has never killed a trophy class buck in his life put down a guy who travels across the country to hunt a 20,000 acre ranch with a staff and horses at a nice lodge in order to shoot something that he can put on a wall?

Hunting is what you make out of it. If you enjoy what you are doing, why put down others who are doing something they like?

Eddie

/ That's a BIG Pig! #28  
Well said Eddie. The answer to your why is of course because we are all too judgmental.

I found this paragraph of yours marvelous...just substitute fish for animals, and I wonder if the feeling would
be the same for using a net instead of a hook?

If you have never done a fully guided hunt fishing trip at a fancy lodge, then all I can say is you are missing out on one of the best times of your life. The hunting fishing may be great, or it might be terrible. I've had both, but I always enjoy the experience when it happens and look forward to the next time. Having the horses boats ready for you in the morning after enjoying a nice breakfast is nice. Having a guide who knows the mountains waters and where he's seen the animals fish over the years is nice. Having somebody with years of experience there to talk to about the animals fish and what they do, along with other hunters fishermen is also nice. It's a learning experience that can't be beat, but it's also a very fun way to enjoy a vacation.