The color of tractors

/ The color of tractors #31  
My experience in 'comparing colors' was very instructive. My bro and I were on the verge of taking over the farm [owned by my dad but farmed by his bro, our uncle who was slowly retiring]. We needed a new 30-40 hp machine and my dad somehow talked local dealers to 'lend' us a JD and a Ford for what turned out to be a 4 month [most of the summer], head to head by us bros [we already had an older MF and very old Oliver 77 which was on its last legs]. Both my bro and I were clearly biased toward the JD so every time the dealer showed up to try to close the deal we put in our bids for that one but dad always pointed out several points we were not taking into consideration and the bro and I started waffling because we could see dads points. In the end we went with the Ford and were never sorry. The Ford was slightly cheaper but the the real issues were that it was also just slightly better at almost everything where we could compare them directly head to head [plowing using the same plow for example] and the dealership was much better which was a great help to us greenhorns. AND the damn thing is still working [on a cousins farm] 45 years later.
If you can get the dealers to do that kind of head to head it is a lot of trouble until you make the call but it can't be beat to get a machine you will love.

/ The color of tractors #32  
I was raised by 4 John Deere with a 8N Ford and AC G mixed in. When I went to work I worked for a dealer that sold MM and MF. Along the way he also sold Nuffield, Leyland, McConnell-Marc, Oliver and White. Having worked on most all brands I would prefer MM but due to their collector possibility I can't afford one. My shed has 3 Massey's filling it and I will say after working on them all Massey's are simple tractors to repair, that cannot be said for understanding the hydraulic system though. Was able to purchase them at a very reasonable price repair what issues the and now have a dependable tractor.
As with most manufacturers locally there used to be dealers just a few minutes away. 6 JD, 5 IH, 3 Case, 2 AC, 3 MF, 1 MM. Probably a few more I don't remember.
But as the dealers aged and they mandated the dealer update to more modern looking building to improve their image, many dealership owners were aging and decided to close or sell out. Then the manufacturers thought it was costing too much to support small or single dealers and again a few left or were bought out to create the huge dealer conglomerates we have now.
As a customer this has created an environment were the dealer can either be a good dealer or a bad dealer depending on if he wants your business. They know that if you don't purchase from them and unless you border two dealer conglomerates you will go to the closest dealer probably the same conglomerate. The only dealers left are at least a 45 minute drive, and one is JD the other is AGCO, With none in the county where there used to be a dozen or more.
Personally I do not want any of these new tractors. Too much electronics and frivolous add ons. And they are imported even some from former enemies who will gladly accept our payment for their poorly made products.
Yes if you are questioning all the tractors in my shed are USA built. An MF TO35, MF20 ind, Mf245 w232 loader, and an MF14.

/ The color of tractors #33  
I think Green is a good color. I also think Red and both oranges are good colors, even both blue are good colors. I think JD, Kobota, kiota, LS, and Mahrinda all make good tractors - and have a place in the market. My Kubota dealer is very good. The local JD dealer is not. (in my view). And that visit made a lasting impression on me.

The salesman did not say hello. Didn't introduce himself. As a matter of fact, didn't even stop staring out the window. It was sooo clear that he had not interest in selling ANY small equipment to me. I always wonder why. But it now know why.

If I had told him I wanted a combine, or head, or 400 hp tractor, it would have been different. JD does have a place - in large AG equipment. Farmers do depend upon JD service to do many repairs to combines during harvest. And some dealers show up in 1 or 2 hours. But the tractor I wanted to buy was only 32K, but a lot to me. He clearly had nothing to do, but had no interest in selling me a 50hp tractor that I asked about. He actually told us that he did not have anything like that. I passed three in the lot as I left lot. I think JD makes an important product for larger farmers who needs on call service. And apparently necessary since we are the in time of proprietary software.

But as far as the compact tractor market, I share the view of my JD dealer, they don't care to sell me one, and I don't care to trouble them. Suits me fine. JK was the first tractor I looked at, and now the last I would consider buying.

/ The color of tractors #34  
Does anyone recall seeing member TSO's red to white re-do? Looks like a show car to me. :love:

btw,I hate to get any color dirty, but 'soil happens'.

/ The color of tractors #35  
I'm a big fan of IH. I have a JD utility tractor that is a pretty decent unit inspite of that horrible green paint, but it does the job.. I also have some Kubota stuff I bought from the local Case IH dealer. No more Kubota for me. They have no tech hot line to call, and tell you to see your dealer. After what I went thru with My Kubota RTV X1100C I will never do business with Kubota or that IH dealer either one. I really don't like green paint, but the next mower I buy will most likely be from JD. Some of these outfits are just plain the drizzling you know what.

/ The color of tractors
This has been a plethora of answers as to selection of machinery. Sometimes straying off my original question which I'm glad about because it raises another question.
Color, like music, can invoke more of spiritual, emotional involvement rather than temporal explanation of choice.

That being said, if you took out the logistics of selection, would there be a color tractor that so engaged your aesthetic sense, that you just had to have it no matter what?
I once purchased a hammer like that. It was so beautiful with its silver head, grey wrapped handle and see thru yellow stem, I just had o have it.

Are tractors and the deeds they do, so matter of fact than none can move you aesthetically no matter who makes it?

Perhaps if a manufacturer came out with a completely yellow tractor with aluminum colored wheels, I may just have to have that as well.

Just to show you where my design preferences lie, I think the new C8 corvette as hideous and would take the C6 any day of the week.
Some of these swoopy looking tractors that look like insects, really turn me off. Now if one of these came in yellow with aluminum colored wheels.....

/ The color of tractors #37  
"Massey has pretty much imploded and there is little dealer support around here." Why do you think that is?

"The Deere dealer actually wanted to sell a tractor, so my tractor is green." I think you are the one and only person that has said this. Me and everyone else has experienced the opposite.
In my experience Massey dealers are as good as any other, the Massey company however shows little respect for customers and I've found their factory service advisors arrogant, their manuals vague and incomplete. The dealership I bought my Massey from went bankrupt shortly after I purchased my tractor and I had to rely on the factory reps for help and understanding. One of them told me "you are too stupid to own a tractor!" My occupation was a Nurse Anesthetist. A new owner of the dealership was extremely helpful, but I have never recommended Massy too anyone. I think of that tractor as my "Massive Turdison"! The new dealer sells Kioti too and I've been happy to send a bunch of folks over to buy the Kioti. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's happened too. If I ever buy another tractor it definitely will not be an Agco product. SamO

/ The color of tractors #38  
I saw a very sanitary 1940's Ford truck one time that didn't have a spec of paint left and had surface rust. I am pretty sure the guy cleaned it up somehow and clear coated it. He may have even sanded and etched it first. However he did it; it was quite well done and came out unexpectedly attractive and fitting for an ancient truck. Now I see old tractors and/or trucks setting as yard art and I seem to appreciate the natural rust color better.

/ The color of tractors #39  
I once purchased a hammer like that. It was so beautiful with its silver head, grey wrapped handle and see thru yellow stem, I just had o have it.
Would that be the Stanley I-Beam hammer they made probably 20 years ago? Because that's exactly why I bought it, and I figured I couldn't break it if I missed what I was aiming to hit with it.