The gated community issue.

/ The gated community issue. #21  
I live a mile and a quarter off the county road, three quarters of a mile off the private road and share part of the driveway with my next door neighbor who is a half mile away and whose home you have to drive by to get to my place. A gate maybe if the horses are let out to graze along the driveway but otherwise not terribly worried.

/ The gated community issue. #22  
Yeah, my 60 acres is at the end of the road. I don’t live there yet, but my barn project with a full apartment is coming around.

I welcome the gated life as I bought the place to get away from people and don’t really like people (being in IT for 30 plus years will do that to you). I love the place as I can’t see or hear anyone while I am there.

/ The gated community issue. #23  
It takes me about 2-3 minutes to access a gate controller and open a gate…..then again i used to install them.

i have a gate on my property, and property is fenced… all 30 acres. But the gate is to keep dog in. You can still access the house without passing said gate. We have nice folk up here. And everyone has guns. Guns make for nice neighbors.

/ The gated community issue. #24  
My driveway is a mile long. There are two gates. One where the driveway access's the county road - one where the driveway access's my 80 acres.

Both gates are closed during the summer. Both gates are open during the winter.

The gates are closed when the neighbors cows are out on the range land.

The gates are open when the neighbors cows are in the feed lots.

No problems with package delivery. Large closed garbage bag hanging on the outer gate. Email on my computer regarding package delivery.

Somebody wants to come visit with negative intents - I'll engage them. They will definitely not like what they find.

I have the exact same sentiments as grsthegreat. Guns make for great neighbors.

/ The gated community issue. #25  
   / The gated community issue. #26  
Sounds like most of you all subscribe to the 'Paranoya Mean Destroya' tune. All we have is a 12 buck Harbor Freight driveway alarm to tell us when a vehicle is in the drive by the house. and I agree with Mossy, dogs are basically useless as watchmen. Our 'mean' dog would go for a ride as well and probably leave nose prints on the glass. The big deterrent is my NRA sign in the front yard and my ***** sign. If you can read, you know where I stand on stuff.

The dogs that give me the most concern are the little ones I call 'ankle biters' The little ones seem to be the most agressive in my experience. The big 'guard' dogs are really docile. Big bark and no bite.

/ The gated community issue. #27  
I have an alarm system and door locks.
Neither are used very often.
Crime is virtually nonexistent in my area.
Kids do rob cars/garages here and there.
Being well armed is my peace of mind

Last edited:
   / The gated community issue. #28  
I don't want to, and hope that it never happens. Yet given the things I see in the news the day may come when it's the only way to be safe. Hopefully that won't be in my lifetime.
Years ago I read about gated and fenced communities in Rio......I think.

The wealthy there hire private police and the walls they build would put Aushwitz to shame.

Some communities here won't allow them.

/ The gated community issue. #29  
My gate is about 150 yards from the house and is always open. I get a number of trespassers and the worst are those on UTV's, four wheelers that tear up my lawn. Second worst are the snowmobilers. I am not concerned as much about keeping thieves out.

I have been looking at adding an electric gate. If I do that, I will have a drop box at the gate for UPS and FedEx deliveries. I live on a dead-end road 2.5 miles from the county road so not worried about the drop box being raided.

I am appalled at how many people ignore "NO TESPASSING" signs.

/ The gated community issue. #30  
I'd never make it in a gated community. I would not sign the paperwork agreeing to their ridiculous/outrageous rules. You would know me - I'd be the first homeowner to have an outhouse in his front yard.