The high cost of cutting grass

/ The high cost of cutting grass #121  
She and I spoke on the phone and she was more than agreeable to a fuel surcharge at each monthly billing cycle.

This is the way it should work.

We deal with Waste Management for our refuse disposal. Their quarterly statements include a "fuel surcharge" that has never been reduced when the fuel prices drop. To me, this isn't a surcharge, it's just another name for a price increase.

/ The high cost of cutting grass
You are right they are a rip off... We went with an other company that doesn't spend your money on TV commercials and fancy trucks...... Jim

/ The high cost of cutting grass #123  
Well I own a diesel lawn mower, but have listened to the idiots about banning leaf blowers, buy ethanol free gas at a Sinclair station, just went up to 4.59 but keeps all 2 strokes from having to be worked on as well as small trim mowers that don't get much use, no carburetor issues with that fuel, your correct about several things , this president didn't cause this oil spike, the last president caused oil to be exported, we use 180 million barrels a day but produce only 120 million and export about 3 million so we import the difference from over 10 + countries most from Canada and some from Russia, our president is trying to get oil companies to produce more but to no avail, that speaks for itself, greed.
I’ve gone electric for everything, trimmers, chainsaws, blowers. Never going back. I still have two Stihl 2-cycle chainsaws but they hardly get used anymore. No starting issues. No gummed up carbs. They just work and when you let off the trigger, total silence.

/ The high cost of cutting grass #124  
Lots of benefits to mowed lawn/grass but water is taking the biggest toll here.

Maintained turf is a good fire and pest barrier unlike rock landscape that every kid feels the need to throw... or so it seems.

Turf cuts down on dust and can help soil retain moisture

That said every two weeks is my schedule for 10 months of the year...
All of that is true, and it looks better than unmaintained property. Ticks love tall grass but stay out of regularly mowed areas. Overgrown fields develop bare spots that eventually lead to erosion. I like a mowed area and then ‘feather’ the edges from tall grass transitioning to woods. Holds deer, rabbits, birds, etc.

/ The high cost of cutting grass #125  
Across the board fuel surcharges being invoiced and started with landscape company $5 per visit.

I wonder if I can surcharge rent for maintenance calls...

The service van averages about 12 mpg around town with landscape trailer and filling the 34 gallon tank is $200+... a far cry from when bought new in 1985 when $40 would get me change...

/ The high cost of cutting grass #126  
I just saw that on this date in 2020 I paid $16 to fill my mower. Last week it was $48.

Time to buy some goats

/ The high cost of cutting grass #127  
68D8D7EA-87B0-4B94-BFA2-7CEDBB4C9B1C.jpeg
Filled up my nurse tank today. Luckily I was able to find a station selling diesel for ONLY $4.799 a gallon.

Do you buy off road fuel? or do you have to pay the road tax on it? .Jim

Well with all the rain and the ground like a sponge you cut where and when you can. I went in to get gas got 10 gallon for the mower and 5.9 for the car 68.00 worth.... and I see fuel at 6.10 @ gallon now scary and oil is under a 100.00 @ barrel now what gives?...... Jim

/ The high cost of cutting grass #130  
Well with all the rain and the ground like a sponge you cut where and when you can. I went in to get gas got 10 gallon for the mower and 5.9 for the car 68.00 worth.... and I see fuel at 6.10 @ gallon now scary and oil is under a 100.00 @ barrel now what gives?...... Jim
WTI (Texas Crude) 107.86 Brent 109.17 RBOB 388.75

RBOB was as low as 195 last December.

Reformulated Blendstock for Oxygenate Blending (RBOB) gasoline is a fuel product made from refined crude oil. RBOB gasoline often goes by the names gasoline, petro gasoline or petrol.