The high cost of cutting grass

/ The high cost of cutting grass #161  
I see the biggest maker in Altoona, Pa.of the meters for the gas and fuel pumps are working over time to make a the parts that can go over 10.00 a gallon. Bend over.... lol..... Jim
And Liter pricing may again be the work around...

Ending up to $7 around the Bay Area and the independent discounters seem to be up 10 cents a gallon Everytime I fill up.

Families are coping by longer distance getting the higher mpg vehicle.

Two of our nurses are are now driving their husbands diesel pickups because they have the short commutes...

Husband's driving the Prius and Volt...

/ The high cost of cutting grass #162  
Our energy secretary says the solution is to transition to electric. So… it’s easy. Deplorables just don’t understand how simple it is.
Some say the high gas price is a government conspiracy to force consumers to go all electric:

I doubt it's true since it's an election year and could lead to a voter backlash in November.

/ The high cost of cutting grass #163  
I think the prices increased so much that they cut their own throat.

• Good Post
Reactions: Lnk
   / The high cost of cutting grass #164  
Some say the high gas price is a government conspiracy to force consumers to go all electric:

I doubt it's true since it's an election year and could lead to a voter backlash in November.
I expect that'll be coming anyway...

/ The high cost of cutting grass #165  
Get some sheep.
What a great idea.
Buy the sheep, build a barn to house the sheep, get dogs to protect the sheep, fence the entire property, buy feed for the sheep through the winter months, bedding, feed for the protection dogs, vet bills, and the property taxes go up even higher for the barn I just built.
What an incredible savings !!

Last edited:
   / The high cost of cutting grass #166  
What a great idea.
Buy the sheep, build a barn to house the sheep, get dogs to protect the sheep, fence the entire property, buy feed for the sheep through the winter months, bedding, feed for the protection dogs, vet bills, and the property taxes go up even higher for the barn I just built.
But the lambs are good to eat.

/ The high cost of cutting grass #167  
And who out there has learned the hard way that ground nesting yellow jackets fly faster than your tractor?

🤚

First I've seen this thread, so I'm late.... I'm currently reading February posts.

I cut roughly 100 acres here. Don't really need to but like the farm to look nice. Used to lease the land and did NOT like how the guy treated the area. Lease was up, he was gone. I'd rather cut it!

One reason is above.... years ago, the fields were maybe waist high. I was in a back field with a 5' cutter at the time (now use 15')
Making my circle as I cut....and cut.... and I came back around to my prior lap...saw something odd all over the ground. The farm had not been cut in a long time so between the weeds were some stiff/woody (?) growths. As it turned out, it was a preferential place for a yellow jacket hive. I had unknowingly mowed right over it, and escaped unscathed.

On my circle back to same area for the next round, saw hundreds of them swarming. Saw the remains of their hive that had been obliterated by the mower. Little shards of hive strewn around everywhere.

I simply stopped and went elsewhere to cut. Not going back to their continent, much less going into their zip code to let them decide to turn on me. Actually, now that I reflect on this, I had actually made another pass right NEXT to the nest and this is how I realized what they were, so it was then I kept moving on and left. Came back hours/day later and finished cutting after they dispersed.

This is one reason why I like to keep the place cut in addition to I like it to look nice (I even cut very straight lines on the fields in front of the house as the mower will happen to leave stripes and makes it look even nicer)

Still....I learned that those little SOB's won't build a hive until it might reach a certain height or stiffness....so if I keep things shorter, it tends to keep them away and they'll do their gig elsewhere. At least, that's my hope.

I'm sting allergic, a wasp was my lowest reaction and that's what landed me in the ER. I measured off the scale with hornets and yellow jackets. Spent 5 years getting a shot EVERY single week to fight back.... finished the treatments. Several years later, had a yellow jacket get inside my shirt and stung me in the belly. Dropped everything, went inside, got epi-pen handy, took swig of Benedryl, had phone handy....and waited at the kitchen table for the first sign of anything. I was going to use the epi pen at the first sign of any symptom and call 911. Nothing happened though so the 5 years of treatments had greatly helped.

/ The high cost of cutting grass
What a great idea.

You forgot one more thing, cleaning up after the sheep...... LMAO..... Jim