The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........ #101  
Motor -

Glad to see you back and still at it!!

/ The Log house Project begins........ #102  
Welcome back MotorSeven. Looking forward to those pics. 23"+ collars are big collars. We used to have a team of draft cross mules that needed those larger collars as well. Nothing like running a "four-legged" tractor! :thumbsup:

/ The Log house Project begins........
The un-finished project is back on track. After inventorying all available trees I came to the conclusion that I would be woefully short. At the beginning of last winter I began to contact loggers in my area to buy raw cedar logs. It was the most frustrating experience I have had in a long time. You would think in this type of economy folks would want to sell you something. After numerous pjone calls and a local add in the paper I talked to (4) different loggers. All said, "yep we have them or can get them", so a price was agreed on and then I waited and waited. 3 of them just never called me back and didn't answer my calls.

The last one was supposed to deliver logs in april/may & I had agreed to pay $1.87 a linear foot for 10' or better logs. I called him 2 months ago and he said, "Oh yes, we are working on it".....????:confused:

So I had enough and started calling cedar log home companies in TN. My first price for finished logs was over $10K, the second price was Western Red Cedar @ just under $20K. Then something great happened....I found a Mill that specializes in ERC....they have milled 6x6" cants 8' long for $20 ea. These are exactly what I am cutting on my mill, rough cut full 6" by 6", so I bought 300 of them. I think $6K for milled logs is a great price:D. My local tractor dealer has an 18 wheeler, so I am lining that up to go get them(200 miles away). So it turns out that these milled logs are not much more than the raw logs I had agreed to by locally.

I need to get my block filled and pour the basement slab & we start on that in about 2 weeks. I am off to order my 30' trusses which will be made here in my county by a local truss company.

I feels good to get the ball rolling after two years:thumbsup::cool2:

/ The Log house Project begins........ #104  
Thanks for the update and congratulations on finding your logs. My experience with loggers has been very similar. They all told me that they wanted my logs, but none showed up and none answered the phone when I called again.

I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures as you get back to building!!!!!

Eddie

Here are the logs...well they are actually cants now:)

Cedar1.jpg

cedar2.jpg

cedar3.jpg

/ The Log house Project begins........ #106  
MotorSeven

Beautiful home site you have there! That is going to be a nice home when you get it done. The wife and I have lived in a log home for the past 25 years.

One thing that you might want to reconsider on yours is the fiberglass insulation between the logs. My experience with FG is that it will hold moisture and lose it's R-value when it does. Moisture is a log homes worst enemy as it will accelerate decomposition. If it were me I would use a closed cell foam between the logs. The foam can be purchased in a roll the width that you desire and it will not soak up moisture.

I realize the fiberglass will be compressed between the logs, but logs will warp, twist, bow, settle and these changes will allow gaps. A few years down the road you will have problems from these changes. If I were to build another log home I would go with a pliable chinking which would expand with the gaps.

Be sure to use a good sealer on the logs (not Thompsons, it will not last) with UV protection. We have used Flood's stain with UV protection with good results.

Another thing I will point out, if I could go back and rebuild mine I would have at least a two foot overhang on the roof. This would better protect the logs and move the water a little further from the foundation. This will pay benefits down the road, moisture is the log home or any homes downfall.

Just thought I would share from my base of experience. Good luck with yours, it will be a beautiful home when it is finished.

DN, you may be right about the fiberglass, I have now heard the moisture thing a few times. Where would I source the colsed cell foam? I'll goggle it around some.

Never have been a Thompsons fan. I used to build fences & decks as a side job and always tried to get the customer to use just about anything else. I think iced tea is almost just as good:D.

Yes a 2' over hang is my minimum. I still have to run down some Hemlock trees & mill the rafters. I hope I have better luck with them then the ERC. I may try an add in the paper again as there are still a few farms here with good stands of Hemlock.

I have to say, after two years of "standing-by" my head is spinning with all the things that have to be done/planned/bought/made...it makes sleeping an exercise in futility:cool:

/ The Log house Project begins........ #109  
I've never met this guy, but I have talked to him about milling logs for me. He also supplied cedar posts for a friend of mine that worked out well. He may not be able to do anything for you, but it may be worth a phone call to find out. He is between Tazewell and Bean Station (near Morristown). His name is Wade Howerton.

Sawmill Lumber an Cedar Post

I'm enjoying your project! (I live down near Knoxville).

mkane09

/ The Log house Project begins........ #110  
Glad to see you are back too! Was wondering if you had it out with the internet folks. Hope to see progress this summer now that you have logs.