The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........
I am a big Tung Oil fan. When I was building cigar humidors during the cigar craze all my boxes were 100% Tung Oil finished. It's going to take a lot of product to cover the ceiling(22') and walls....Land Ark looks like a great product, but man they are proud of it!

/ The Log house Project begins........ #432  
Landark use to be made in SC. The old man retired and sold out. I think they will send you a sample. Its thinner than pure tung oil and goes a long way. It really pops the grain.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #433  
30 weight tar paper, 4" beaded styrofoam 4x8 panels, 4 quarter(1 1/8")x6 or better sawmill purlins, then tin. That should give me about a R-12ish which for Tennessee should be fine.

I would have thought that 4 inches of foam would be higher then R-12. Is that a guess or is that what the stamp on it says?

A basic 2x4 wall with fiberglass is R-13 and it's really not very good. Since it's just a wall, you can get away with it, but for a ceiling, it would be pure crap. R-30 is boarderline, and R-60 is really what you want.

Add to the volume of space that you have to deal with, and it's going to be very hard to keep things comfortable in there with only R-12 in the ceiling.

Why can't you put another two layers of foam into the roof?

Eddie

/ The Log house Project begins........ #434  
Oh, great something else to worry about:smiley_aafz: I didn't even think of that, there is no way to keep critters out from getting under the tin through the "V" grooves unless I staple up rat wire the length of both eaves and at the vented peak. The other way would be to sandwich the foam with a ply/osb board on top......decisions decisions.

Tony, from what I have read, the vapor barrier goes only on the warm side(side closest to the house interior) and a second vapor barrier on the cold side will trap moisture. That is my understanding..... I could be wrong since the whole insulation industry info seems to contradict itself quite a bit.

955...the rattler was still alive? I generally don't kill snakes, but poisonous ones around the house get the lead pill.

Mike, with a 10/12 pitch I think 30 weight will be fine...that stuff looks like a good product though.

Greetings----Up in the real North country, all the insulation information may be correct......I personally just do not believe it would be necessarily the correct thing down our way.......Now a fact is the house I have is very similar to your wonderful cabin....It is by far overbuilt, as the builder just did things that way....He used a hand saw and chissel for most of the house....It`s been standing here forty to fifty years, and the roof is similar to what you are doing....It doesn`t have all the vent holes at the top of the roof, nor a vent ridge....No moisture problems, even with all the moisture in the house from the shower, and cooking...I would cover the styrofoam insulation with the tar paper.....It sure isn`t a moisture proof barrier, but might be a extra protection from some small leek......With the pitch on your roof, I really don`t think you will have a leek anyway......I`v looked up through a roof with slate nailed right to the nailer, and nothing more, and seen may daylight holes...Not a drop of water would come through them...

I close the house up for the winter---most of the time---and I set about six or seven traps for the mice....When I come back in the spring , the traps are usually about half tripped.....It gets so cold in the cabin, the mice die anyway...I don`t think you will have a problem with the mice getting in the insulation sheets you plan on using......Just be vigilant the first year with your `trap line`, and they aren`t very many after that.....I don`t think there is anything you could do to make the cabin mouse proof...They will walk run right through the front door when you enter...Very bold, as I`m sure you know, as you jump out the bed :) Tony

It`s looking good Tony

/ The Log house Project begins........ #435  
it's going to be very hard to keep things comfortable in there with only R-12 in the ceiling.

\

I was thinking the same thing. R30 is minumum in this area. From what little I can remember foam board ranges from R5 to R8 per inch.

Last edited:
   / The Log house Project begins........
1/2" High Density foam board is a R3(around $8-10 a sheet), the 4" is beaded styrofoam, not High density and is a 10.5(I found this for $8 a sheet). Whoops, my mistake, the beaded is 3" thick, not 4 and is a R10.5

Eddie, my house in Tyler, very similar in size and layout but a 7.5/12 instead of a 10/12 had 30 weight tar paper, 1/2" double foil insulation board, then tin right over the foam board. We lived in it 3 years and it was along time ago, but I don't remember it being hard to cool (central air) or expensive. We heated with wood and the soapstone stove(44,000 btu and hr) in the great room would run you out and most of the time we cracked a couple of windows. I burned 3 cords of wood each winter to heat it. The two downstairs bedrooms were always cold, so on this house we will only have a master bedroom down and it will have a sliding barn door type wall 10-12' long that will stay open unless we have company. That is why I am thinking that a R12 will be sufficient...I could be wrong for sure. R30 or 60 will really run the cost of the roof up.

I have to be honest...money is an object and we are pushing our financial limits to the max. I will look around for a deal on some thicker panels, but keep in mind, if you have to turn a board on edge right on the decking you create a thermal bridge. Fir & SYP have a R value of about R1 per inch, so turning a 6" board on edge, then insulating between boards means you have a grid of R6 between the R20 insulation panels. A sandwich is a better way, all decking, all foam, then osb/ply/purlins then tin. No grid, no loss of R. To maintain the sandwich I just don't know how thick I can go before the foamboard will start to collapse under the purlins. Decking over real thick foambaord with osb instead of purlins will add about $1K to my existing design.

I scored a big old vintage('86) soapstone H1 off craigslist 2 years ago. This one takes 24" sticks and puts out 100,000 btu's an hr. It had been over fired with coal or had a flue fire as the 1/2" interior metal baffle had a grapefruit hole melted thru it. I rebuilt the whole stove and ran it in my shop last winter...awesome. Anyway, this big beast is going in the basement and I am going to try and heat the entire house with it. I say try, because heating from a basement can be tricky, some work and others not so well. The air flow is the key and undisturbed cold air returning to the basement really makes or breaks it. Interior Layout, the location of the basement stairwell all come into air flow play. A second stove or fireplace will be above the basement stove and share the same 8" flue. So if I have to supplement heat I can fire the main floor wood burner. Just like in insulation there are two schools of thought about two wood burners on one flue. The newer generation of codes don't like it in some areas, but thousands of houses successfully do this all the time.

We will not have any A/C in the house, just ceiling fans and a power gable fan. We want to try I see if we can go without it....might be interesting;)

/ The Log house Project begins........ #438  
M7,
Awesome project. I'm close to Nashville, where did you get the 6x6's from? The cabin looks great. Keep up the good work.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #439  
Why don't you go with the 4 inch high density. You would have at least an R20 roof.

http://www.owenscorning.com/worldwide/admin/tempupload/pdf.077_HighDensity_E_1.pdf

I do not think the building code will let you get by with two stoves on one flue. (IF the inspectors know the code)

I have to agree that two stoves on the same flue is a no no here. Better check that while you still have some time to adjust. Even if you are not subject to code some reading will tell you it isn't a very workable arrangement.

MarkV

/ The Log house Project begins........ #440  
Another reason to think about the two stoves on one flue is insurance coverage. If you have a house fire, heaven forbid, and the wood stoves or flues do not meet code the insurance company will deny the claim. They do not like wood heat to begin with and I know two familes who had fires caused by wood heat and their claims were denied. They have fire investigators that will look for any and all reasons to do just that. I like wood heat and use it but that is reality.