The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........ #591  
Any way to rent a commercial sized dehumidifer, like the kind they use for flood clean up?

/ The Log house Project begins........
Eddie I have a professional moisture meter and I will check the % before applying the exterior sealer. Nature's Edge cleans up with soap and water, so I do not think residual moisture will harm the finish. In a perfect world I would wait a week or two before applying, but once it's gets cold, I am done for the winter and will have to start all over again in the spring. I will be happy if I only get one or two coats on before the weather turns. At least that will protect it until spring.
Other that using a grinder on the entire house, a pressure washer is the only way I know of to get the cedar clean.....what other options are there?

FB, upstairs is already dry. I moved the fan to the basement which is still damp. With this low humidity weather, things are drying out quick...that is until rain arrives in two days.

Anyway, I was up in the loft working on the gable.....I heard a odd moan from down in the pasture. I climbed down and went out on the deck.....heard another moan. I have two heifers and one bull(the bull is on loan since Oct 2010). The bull and one heifer were looking across the pasture at the other heifer. She was standing, but something was going on, so I rode down to check on her.
Sooooo, I present to y'all the first calf born on Buckskin Flats Farm:
FirstCalf004.jpg

I guess I am a "Cattleman" now eh????;)

/ The Log house Project begins........ #593  
I read at the website for the stain that they recomend cleaning the logs with a pressure washer set from 500 to 1,000 psi. I've never built a log house, and really just want to find the best stain for my logs on my gazebo. Pressure washers and houses scare me, they also make me a lot of money fixing the damage that is caused by them. I'm sure you are fine, but wanted to share my concerns.

Having the moisture meter really helps to know when you can work on your logs!!!!

Eddie

Rut Row...mine is a 3K. I did grind the butt joints inside to get them even with 80 grit before pressure washing. It made the area very smooth compared to the circle mill cuts. I actually tried to blast those spots so the grain would stand out...couldn't do it....still smooth.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #596  
Beware a mama cow, many a fine folk been killed by them.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #597  
As my cabin was stained with some pretty dark stain--probably walnut--you had better go slowly and make sure you are o k with that much dark....In our case it is really a more reddish dark as it is heart pine, but we really do not enjoy more than about three week at a time staying there ---and we are on the porch an awful lot in the summer---I learned why paint was such a God send from the cabin...:)

The interior is wonderful at night with alot of character, but in the day it is like being in a cave...and I had planned on possibly one day re sanding and sealing with a clear coating....It would be such a pain I decided to let the next generation deal with it :)

Tony

Thanks Tony, the walnut stain is for the bathroom only,,,she wants that with a dark slate floor in there. Clear Tung oil for the rest of the interior and a natural colored translucent stain for the exterior.

Kyle that's actually his daddy he's snuggled up against. Mama and Daddy did give me the third eye so I used the zoom lens...I'd rather not get freight trained by a "Mad Cow". I am kinda concerned about coyotes, so will have to sleep light tonight & keep the rifle handy.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #599  
what other options are there?

Could your blast the outside with something like ground up peanut shells or another soft and enviromentally friendly media as opposed to using grit?

Could your blast the outside with something like ground up peanut shells or another soft and enviromentally friendly media as opposed to using grit?

I like that idea, but it would take a big air compressor and a media blaster. I have the big compressor installed in my shop 250' down and a hundred yards away, but no outlet wired yet for it at the site, and no media blaster. One of these days I will have a media blaster...great tool:thumbsup: