The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........
I'm kinda leaning towards my last picture, the large diamond over the two triangles. I emailed them all to the War Dept.....waiting to see what she says.

Eddie, I don't think a starburst will work. I have to have those Crows Foot braces to support the ridge post & those will get in the way of the starburst.
Traditional log house windows are almost always rectangular with a angle cut at the top to match the roof angle...2, 4 or 6 of them. My house in Tyler had 4 and I like that look, but I want something different. Originally we settled on the two half moons. They don't look right on top of the triangle windows, so I would just have to cover them up.

this is a rather crude ,but you get the idea.

Not any "cruder" than my renditions...:laughing:

Yours is kinda traditional..not bad. I colored in the gable like you did on just the diamond and circle.....they look too small once the board on boards are up.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #614  
Inspired by Eddie, I've gathered a few examples of log cabin gable windows from the land of Google. The top three represent the majority of what I saw, tall vertical windows with angled tops. The middle picture represents the older style, single square window in the middle at the top. The bottom three pictures stand out as more unique options.

Log-Cabin-Homes-1.gif

log-cabin-kits-1.jpg

loghome.JPG

log_cabin5.jpg

log_cabin3.jpg

ramshorn.jpg

log-cabin-2.jpg

/ The Log house Project begins........ #615  
As you are limited on funds, perhaps you can put some of the windows in now and frame for the ones you want, putting more next year or ??

IPlay, I don't see anything there that I really want. As usual, I am fighting the rising tide of conformity:laughing: I think Eddie was talking about a Sunrise looking theme:
starburstgablewindowsLarge.jpg

/ The Log house Project begins........ #618  
I know how hard it is to come up with a design your happy with and one you know you will love for many years to come. Its not like paint where you can easily change it if you don't like it after a couple years so its tough trying to decide.

I do like this design though that was posted. Its different then what I usually see around here or in these designs. When I finally am able to build my own home I plan to have a a large main room where the dining room and kitchen take up the entire first floor and there will be a half second floor along the windowed wall overlooking the scenic view that will be the living room so when nothing is on TV you can just relax and enjoy the view from the second floor. I've been trying to plan out how I would want the windows to look on that wall and this design caught my attention but since I am around 10 years away from being able to build I doubt I will remember it by then anyway. Good luck on your designing and I will look forward to seeing what you come up with.

log_cabin3.jpg

Hey Hawk, that's not a bad idea...........I'll stir that into the pot.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #620  
IPlay, I don't see anything there that I really want. As usual, I am fighting the rising tide of conformity:laughing: I think Eddie was talking about a Sunrise looking theme:
starburstgablewindowsLarge.jpg

Yes, this is similar to what I was thinking.

It's timeless, proven and in my opinion, very attractive.

As for your bracing, this repaces what you have and will help carry the load of your roof too.

Eddie