The new mess. Exmark Laser HP 23hp with weak hydraulic drive.

/ The new mess. Exmark Laser HP 23hp with weak hydraulic drive. #1  

Rock Crawler

Veteran Member
Tractor
2021 Kubota L3560 HSTC, 2011 Craftsman Excellerator GT (680hrs), 2018 Husqvarna TS354XD, 2017 Husqvarna HU800AWD, 2019 Kawasaki Mule Pro DX (Yanmar)
I just picked up a few to good home Exmark Laser HD 23HP Kawasaki with 48" fab deck and has 740 hours on it. It has Hydro Gear 103-1942 hydraulic pumps and there are 2 hydraulic wheel motors. I'm new to screwing with zero turns and hydraulics, but here is what's going on.... from what I see, 700 hours is nothing on this commercial piece. He says that he paid $8500 for it around 12 years back. So it isn't a junk consumer one.

You start it and it runs and mows 100%. Life is great for around 15-20 minutes, and then you'll notice it slowing down and not pushing up slopes. By 25-30 minutes, it's done.

Let it cool off and it will repeat.
He chained hydraulic filters and got no change. He used OEM filters and also gave me another spare set of 2 hydraulic filters.

How can I test and verify motors vs pumps? Pumps are $1200-$1500 each while the wheel motors are around $400 each. He says that the left wheel gets weaker faster, but both eventually die out.
IMG_20231015_083705.jpg

/ The new mess. Exmark Laser HP 23hp with weak hydraulic drive. #2  
Probably going to have to test hydraulic pressure to see if it's the pump or motor. I'd guess that's specific test equipment at a dealer.

/ The new mess. Exmark Laser HP 23hp with weak hydraulic drive. #3  
It amazes me that there aren't more reports of these types of issues with all ZTs considering the number of them out there. So I assume there's a pump for each wheel motor? It seems to me that it would be very odd to have 2 pumps that are bad. If it were me and I decided to repair this thing, which I personally probably wouldn't, I would swap the pumps and see if the problem moves. Assuming the pumps are the same. If things were the same then you have some sort of common issue or the problem is in the motors.

/ The new mess. Exmark Laser HP 23hp with weak hydraulic drive. #4  
Rock
Have you confirmed the belts driving the pumps are not slipping?

If pumps and motors are accessible use infrared heat gun to monitor their temperature. Component getting hot the quickest during operation is typically the item slipping or leaking internally. You would have to take readings every few minutes though.

Do the motors have a case drain line? If yes is there anyway to monitor the flow coming out when cold vs hot? You would have to very careful to not drain the reservoir while doing this.

Another thing to check is confirm the towing valves are fully closed. If these are partially open they would cause this problem.

What fluid or oil was used? Frequently switching to a * - 50 weight oil will make these operate better.

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: D&D
   / The new mess. Exmark Laser HP 23hp with weak hydraulic drive. #5  
I just picked up a few to good home Exmark Laser HD 23HP Kawasaki with 48" fab deck and has 740 hours on it. It has Hydro Gear 103-1942 hydraulic pumps and there are 2 hydraulic wheel motors. I'm new to screwing with zero turns and hydraulics, but here is what's going

How can I test and verify motors vs pumps? Pumps are $1200-$1500 each while the wheel motors are around $400 each. He says that the left wheel gets weaker faster, but both eventually die out.
There are 2 quick tests I know of for the pumps. 1) with an IR thermometer, check the temps on both pumps at idle and at failure point. 2) With the mower jacked and blocked, cap off the wheel motor and with the mower running, push the lever forward and see how much forward motion it takes to stall the pump. Should be between 1/2 to 3/4 of full stroke.
it could be one of the springs (charge pump or piston) is bad. Unfortunately, this pump series does not offer a rebuild kit that I know of. (Seal kit, yes).
Almost forgot, did you check for belt slippage on the pumps?

Good news, you can get 2 for less than the price you have.

Last edited:
   / The new mess. Exmark Laser HP 23hp with weak hydraulic drive. #6  
Belt slippage causes a weak left wheel issue more often than one would think. It is just the way the torque is delivered through the belt drive. Best advice is to replace the idler, put a new OEM belt on it and give it a try.

/ The new mess. Exmark Laser HP 23hp with weak hydraulic drive. #7  
I have the same HG pumps on my Cub Cadet Tank. What I would do before anything else is change the fluid on both pumps and change the filters at the same time. HG recommends 30 weight motor oil. I'd stick with that. I have well over 1K hours on mine and no issues at all but I change my oil and filters every year. Both mine are driven by a common Vee belt with a spring loaded idler btw.

/ The new mess. Exmark Laser HP 23hp with weak hydraulic drive.
Okay, now I've had daylight and no rain and was able to test drive it. I messed around for maybe 15 minutes and didn't have any slip or power loss, so I decided to un-bury the pumps an all from packed grass. Got that done and see that the right hand pump is leaking, there is oil all around the base of it while the left is dry.

I soaked it all down with purple power a couple times and washed it up. The pump drive belt is getting oiled, no doubt. The left pump feels more jerky and connected, while the right pump is softer hitting. I wonder if the right pump is slipping some bit from the oil leakage. At 714 hours, it shouldn't be bad pumps and such.

Maybe a seal kit and new belt should be tried initially. I can do the temp gun test as well to see if one is obviously heating faster.
20231015_114212.jpg
20231015_114222.jpg
20231015_114252.jpg
20231015_114242.jpg
20231015_114234.jpg
20231015_114457.jpg
20231015_114502.jpg
20231015_114634.jpg
20231015_114641.jpg
20231015_114312.jpg

/ The new mess. Exmark Laser HP 23hp with weak hydraulic drive.