The one animal I would eradicate from the planet...

/ The one animal I would eradicate from the planet... #71  
We did it all in about 200,000 to 300,000 years too. The dinosaurs lived for about 179 million years. What species will replace us?
Cockroaches

/ The one animal I would eradicate from the planet... #74  
I was reaching for a tomato in the garden yesterday when a garter snake moved right below my hand. Thankfully the only snakes around here are harmless garters.
We do have plenty of yellow jackets and a few years ago they decided to make a nest under my dog's house. He doesn't like them either. I did manage to destroy the nest and occupants without getting stung. I wonder if the multiple hummingbird feeders that my wife maintains may attract them as they frequent the feeders.
Good question about the hummingbird feeders. We have yellowjackets also of course. So far *this* year, not an issue. I can say, I used to have a few hummingbird feeders and bird feeders. Removed ALL of them. The bird feeders here were a big problem. Not only did some birds kick out seeds to get to seeds they liked better (using a mix), but squirrels and racoons became a big problem. The seed on the ground eventually either sprouted (and I had to clean that mess up) or brought in mice, which brought in more snakes ! I had my birdfeeders on those tall shepherd hooks - still the squirrels would climb and the raccoons would climb and bend them over.
I always saw wasps hanging around the hummingbird feeders, but can't recall if I saw many yellowjackets. I learned many years ago when I moved to this area - DO NOT FEED THE WILDLIFE ! :) For hummingbirds, I plant appropriate flowering shrubs.

/ The one animal I would eradicate from the planet... #75  
mud dobbers. i don't hate them, they are just everywhere and their little tubes are hard to get completely clean.

what i really hate are the spider webs across my face every morning and afternoon. i walk maybe 3-4 miles a day and those buggers are EVERYWHERE.

I always cut a branch to hold out in front of me but, somehow they always get on my face! and you know mr spider is crawling around on you somewhere!

I know everything has its place etc but....man i hate bugs!

/ The one animal I would eradicate from the planet... #76  
On a slightly different note, I've been seeing an amazing amount of honeybees this summer. Starting early this spring, when they were working a clump of maple trees so hard that I thought from the buzzing there was a nest in the tree; later on when the big burdock on my treeline blossomed they were all over it. Last night I found that they have moved on to my corn... I've never seen them in the tassles the way that they were last night.
Somebody nearby must have taken up beekeeping recently. 👍

/ The one animal I would eradicate from the planet... #77  
I just learned about another imported bad bug...the Spotted Lanternfly. It looks like it is in PA and the east coast and they do lots of harm. Here we go again.....

Spotted Lanternfly Alert

/ The one animal I would eradicate from the planet... #78  
what i really hate are the spider webs across my face every morning and afternoon. i walk maybe 3-4 miles a day and those buggers are EVERYWHERE.

I always cut a branch to hold out in front of me but, somehow they always get on my face! and you know mr spider is crawling around on you somewhere!

Riding our dirt bikes this time of year, we end up covered in them. After a couple of hours the goggles are a mess with all the sticky web material. We call those 'conch-shell spiders' since we don't know what their real name is. Tiny black spider that looks like he's got a sea shell on his back, probably eggs in there. They aren't aggressive, but if they get stuck in a crevice on you, they can bite HARD. Thankfully, the pain ends when they're off of you, but it'll really get your attention. Hate those.

/ The one animal I would eradicate from the planet... #79  
I just learned about another imported bad bug...the Spotted Lanternfly. It looks like it is in PA and the east coast and they do lots of harm. Here we go again.....

Spotted Lanternfly Alert
We have Lanterflies everywhere by the hundreds- killed some of our roses and other plants.
I spray them with insect soap, but there are just too many.

After the EMerald Ash Borer took out a few hundred of my trees, including a few dozen huge ones, I am so happy with this global economy.

And don't get me started on the Stiltgrass which showed up about three years ago and wiped out my gardens and mulched areas.

So many invasives, I can't keep up.

The bald face hornets we had seem like a minor nuisance compared to the above.

/ The one animal I would eradicate from the planet... #80  
We have Lanterflies everywhere by the hundreds- killed some of our roses and other plants.
I spray them with insect soap, but there are just too many.

After the EMerald Ash Borer took out a few hundred of my trees, including a few dozen huge ones, I am so happy with this global economy.

And don't get me started on the Stiltgrass which showed up about three years ago and wiped out my gardens and mulched areas.

So many invasives, I can't keep up.

The bald face hornets we had seem like a minor nuisance compared to the above.

Had not heard of this bug. Gee. Not good.

I liked the part about what to do if you see them —- “kill them, squash them, smash them”!

That’s a plan I guess.

MoKelly