The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!!

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #2,111  
Roger that, Ted. I think the grapple should be matched to the size of the tractor first and then by how the grapple is intended to be used. The argument for a smaller grapple is one I understand, but so far I have not run into a situation where I felt the need. But I also have a backhoe with a thumb for really tough work in tight places. I have to admit though that if I knew how much the Wicked could do I would not have bought the backhoe, which cost three times as much.

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #2,112  
(Sound of hand slapping forehead.) I just had an epiphany why less is more.

One of the main things we like to do with the Wicked Root Grapple is uproot Youpon. To do that we normally use the corner of the grapple. With a wide grapple, that puts a lot of twisting strain on the FEL and the whole tractor, sometimes lifting the opposite rear wheel off the ground. If the grapple was only as wide as the FEL, that would deliver the power to the root ball with less stress on the rig.

IslandTractor is right.

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!!
#2,113  
One of the main things we like to do with the Wicked Root Grapple is uproot Youpon. To do that we normally use the corner of the grapple. With a wide grapple, that puts a lot of twisting strain on the FEL and the whole tractor, sometimes lifting the opposite rear wheel off the ground.

Insert visual courtesy of Eric & his famous NX6010 with the 72" Wicked Grapple.

72dualkiotinx60106s.jpg

IslandTractor is right.

Did you really have to take it that far? :laughing:
Travis

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #2,114  
(Sound of hand slapping forehead.) I just had an epiphany why less is more.

One of the main things we like to do with the Wicked Root Grapple is uproot Youpon. To do that we normally use the corner of the grapple. With a wide grapple, that puts a lot of twisting strain on the FEL and the whole tractor, sometimes lifting the opposite rear wheel off the ground. If the grapple was only as wide as the FEL, that would deliver the power to the root ball with less stress on the rig.

IslandTractor is right.

Think about the extremely powerful excavators used in construction demolition. You'll never see even a 4 foot wide grapple on them. Most are 3ft wide. Why? Three basic reasons. 1) That's all they need to work efficiently, 2) A wider grapple would be less selective and make picking up specific items like a stump more challenging, and 3) A wider grapple increases risks of tipping over the excavator. #3 is a real concern when you have an excavator with a lift capacity of more than 30,000 lbs and you consider what happens when you apply that lift while the outboard edge of the grapple is unknowingly snagged on an object that won't move. It would get exciting real fast. The power of the excavator would tip the machine over. By using narrow grapples, that won't happen as easily as the load is centered.

CUTs aren't likely to tip over but the sort of twisting forces demonstrated in Eric's photo are not great for the tractor or FEL. Narrow grapples make that type of scenario less likely to occur.

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #2,115  
The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!!

Think about the extremely powerful excavators used in construction demolition. You'll never see even a 4 foot wide grapple on them. Most are 3ft wide. Why? Three basic reasons. 1) That's all they need to work efficiently, 2) A wider grapple would be less selective and make picking up specific items like a stump more challenging, and 3) A wider grapple increases risks of tipping over the excavator. #3 is a real concern when you have an excavator with a lift ca

FYI, your comparing a heavy duty single arm mounted piece of construction equipment meant for pulling and digging, to a dual arm mounted lightweight farm tractor loader meant for carrying and pushing.

It's not exactly "apples to apples", although I do understand what your saying.

Excavators aren't meant for clearing wide paths of land with wide grapples, which is why you won't see a wide grapple on one.
That's what dozers are for. In fact, a dozer would be a more fair comparison, or a skidsteer.

The closest comparison would be a skidsteer, since they are a lot more apples to apples comparable seeing that they both have front end loaders.

The main difference there would be that a skidsteer is considerably more heavy duty and capable than a tractor.

Typically you don't see wide buckets on excavators because the wider you go, the more breakout force you need (similar to how a wider grapple would need more force to dig than a narrower one).

I really don't think you can compare a tractor grapple to an excavator in pretty much any way. They are about as opposite as you can get really.
(And a tractor with grapple is WAY more versatile than an excavator-we can probably agree on that :))

Edit: Reason #3 above isn't really true. Your right that most excavators won't have really wide buckets, but the reason is certainly NOT because they're worried about tipping over easier.

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #2,116  
Re: The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!!

FYI, your comparing a heavy duty single arm mounted piece of construction equipment meant for pulling and digging, to a dual arm mounted lightweight farm tractor loader meant for carrying and pushing.

It's not exactly "apples to apples", although I do understand what your saying.

Excavators aren't meant for clearing wide paths of land with wide grapples, which is why you won't see a wide grapple on one.
That's what dozers are for. In fact, a dozer would be a more fair comparison, or a skidsteer.

The closest comparison would be a skidsteer, since they are a lot more apples to apples comparable seeing that they both have front end loaders.

The main difference there would be that a skidsteer is considerably more heavy duty and capable than a tractor.

Typically you don't see wide buckets on excavators because the wider you go, the more breakout force you need (similar to how a wider grapple would need more force to dig than a narrower one).

I really don't think you can compare a tractor grapple to an excavator in pretty much any way. They are about as opposite as you can get really.
(And a tractor with grapple is WAY more versatile than an excavator-we can probably agree on that :))

Edit: Reason #3 above isn't really true. Your right that most excavators won't have really wide buckets, but the reason is certainly NOT because they're worried about tipping over easier.

Look at Eric's photo. The issue is certainly relevant to tractors. Not for tipping over catastrophically but for putting strain and twisting forces on the loader. All loads should be centered. A wide grapple makes that more difficult to control especially when digging roots or other activities where one edge of the grapple might snag an immovable object.

And, tractors with grapples don't typically do bulldozing type work. Tractor FELs are designed and manufactured to LIFT not push. If you want to push you use short stubby arms that don't flex. Tractor FELs are loaders. Grapples are used to root out brush, lift logs and rocks and debris. They shouldn't be used to simply plow forward like a dozer. They simply aren't built to do that. And, if you are going to do that it is all the more reason NOT to use a wide grapple that might snag a stump on one side and suddenly stop the tractor cold. Do you really think it would be a good idea to ram your standard 72inch bucket edge into a tree stump at 3-4mph???

I used the excavator example because you and others pointed out that one of the tasks the OP wanted to do was occasionally clean up construction demolition. Guess what the pros use to do that: excavators with narrow grapples.

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #2,117  
Re: The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!!

I used the excavator example because you and others pointed out that one of the tasks the OP wanted to do was occasionally clean up construction demolition. Guess what the pros use to do that: excavators with narrow grapples.

He's not doing it with an excavator, he's doing it with a tractor...

Again, a more fair comparison would be with a skidsteer. Excavators have nothing in common with a tractor, I do understand what point your trying to make, it's just a poor example.

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #2,118  
Clearing a spot for my camper on my remote property with the EA dual lid Wicked grapple. Not Ted level of abuse, but I was pleased with being able to move the trees in one piece and pile them for burning later.

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #2,119  
Clearing a spot for my camper...

Great vid! Thanks for sharing, it's amazing what you can do in a short amount of time.

Do you ever use the bottom frame portion of the grapple for back blading and filling in over stump holes? I find that really useful and can get a surprisingly smooth/level finish. It's sort of a side benefit that comes in handy. :)

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #2,120  
Clearing a spot for my camper on my remote property with the EA dual lid Wicked grapple. Not Ted level of abuse, but I was pleased with being able to move the trees in one piece and pile them for burning later.

I would say you and the JD did right well. :thumbsup: