The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!!

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #2,601  

Ah he's an old little guy. Probably set in his ways and quite alright with gumming it.

Teeth would be a nice visual and performance enhancement, but I wouldn't dare say it to his face!

That grapple has pretty massive bite force. Like 8000 pounds I believe is what was calculated in another thread. I'd guess his gripping power is still better than your toothed grapples.

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!!
#2,602  
Re: The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!!

Ah he's an old little guy. Probably set in his ways and quite alright with gumming it.

Teeth would be a nice visual and performance enhancement, but I wouldn't dare say it to his face!

That grapple has pretty massive bite force. Like 8000 pounds I believe is what was calculated in another thread. I'd guess his gripping power is still better than your toothed grapples.

Agreed. It's a serious piece of machinery, but install both on compact tractors and see which one is more productive! I'm betting Wicked.
Travis

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #2,603  
I like it a lot! Two trending words in this thread: TEETH and GRIPPING!!! :thumbsup:
Travis

Baloney (I'm being polite). Teeth have nothing to do with lifting or securing a long tree limb. Grip is important only if you are using a clamshell grapple.

Scoop, balance and cradle (curl). A little top pressure to keep it from bouncing while you drive. Even a toothless grapple would have zero problem with that limb/tree. If you moved slowly you could even do it with no upper jaw and in some ways that would be preferable as it forces you to balance properly and you lower the twisting forces on the FEL.

Teeth are important when ripping or pulling on wood and brush but not really for scooping, lifting or carrying.

#2,604  
Last Friday, I was talking grapples with a guy from NY and he ended up ordering a Wicked Grapple for his John Deere 4310 tractor.
After finishing the invoice, he told me his reason for ordering our grapple and even sent pics.

The Wicked Grapple is replacing this brand new grapple he just received from Titan, which, according to him, is useless.
We discuss tractor size with EVERY single customer who orders a grapple from us to ensure it's an ideal fit to their machine and application.
Travis

IMG_0602e.jpg

IMG_0600e.jpg

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #2,605  

Last Friday, I was talking grapples with a guy from NY and he ended up ordering a Wicked Grapple for his John Deere 4310 tractor.
After finishing the invoice, he told me his reason for ordering our grapple and even sent pics.

The Wicked Grapple is replacing this brand new grapple he just received from Titan, which, according to him, is useless.
We discuss tractor size with EVERY single customer who orders a grapple from us to ensure it's an ideal fit to their machine and application.
Travis

View attachment 518626

View attachment 518627

Agree with you wholeheartedly. That is a stupid large grapple for that tractor. What did the Titan weigh? I don't recall JD 4310 having a very strong loader. Hope you sold him the Compact

#2,606  

Agree with you wholeheartedly. That is a stupid large grapple for that tractor. What did the Titan weigh? I don't recall JD 4310 having a very strong loader. Hope you sold him the Compact

It is 924 pounds according to their website. :shocked:

Yes, he bought a compact Wicked Grapple, which is well under half of the weight and plenty strong for anything his tractor can dish out. :thumbsup:
He will not only be able to:
#1 Lift it empty

He will be able to:
#2 Actually pick "stuff" up with it!!
Travis

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #2,607  

It is 924 pounds according to their website. :shocked:

Yes, he bought a compact Wicked Grapple, which is well under half of the weight and plenty strong for anything his tractor can dish out. :thumbsup:
He will not only be able to:
#1 Lift it empty

He will be able to:
#2 Actually pick "stuff" up with it!!
Travis

Whoever sold that Titan to him should be keel hauled. Probably cost a pretty penny too. They should take it back and pay the freight both ways.

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #2,608  
Just talked to the terminal. It's there now, ready to be picked up. Portland is way north of Medford, they somehow either put it on wrong trailer, or didn't get it unloaded when they stopped in Medford. Leaving the house in a few.

Great news, happy to hear they got everything straightened out. Whew!!

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #2,609  
Baloney (I'm being polite). Teeth have nothing to do with lifting or securing a long tree limb. Grip is important only if you are using a clamshell grapple.

Scoop, balance and cradle (curl). A little top pressure to keep it from bouncing while you drive. Even a toothless grapple would have zero problem with that limb/tree. If you moved slowly you could even do it with no upper jaw and in some ways that would be preferable as it forces you to balance properly and you lower the twisting forces on the FEL.

Teeth are important when ripping or pulling on wood and brush but not really for scooping, lifting or carrying.

IT, why do you always manage to be wrong in your loudest voice?

Your experience is with a very small light grapple on a small tractor. Believe it or not, some of us use large HD grapples on large high lift tractors to pick very heavy loads. I can't count the time that I've picked up complete dead trees with many large and long limbs intact. If these trees rotated, once I picked them up, serious damage to tractor and maybe me could have resulted. The grapple teeth are what keeps loads in secured place.

You should stay within your sphere of experience and knowledge?

Your serve!

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #2,610  
IT, why do you always manage to be wrong in your loudest voice?

Your experience is with a very small light grapple on a small tractor. Believe it or not, some of us use large HD grapples on large high lift tractors to pick very heavy loads. I can't count the time that I've picked up complete dead trees with many large and long limbs intact. If these trees rotated, once I picked them up, serious damage to tractor and maybe me could have resulted. The grapple teeth are what keeps loads in secured place.

You should stay within your sphere of experience and knowledge?

Your serve!

I've also picked up plenty of trees ripped out of the ground with rootball intact. Often several at a time. You scoop them up, clamp so they don't roll out while curling and compress to hold in place. The tine tips don't usually even contact the trunk and it is the forward side of the jaw that holds the load not the tips. The bottom tine tips certainly aren't gripping the tree if you've curled properly.

My dinky little grapple is on a loader rated for 2760lbs lift. Find me a CUT with higher lift. 95% of tractors discussed here are CUTs not utility tractors.

EA makes a big deal about their laser cut sharp tine tips. Fine. Marketing will always try to boost a product based on perceived differences and will try to emphasize such differences. IMO they exaggerate the importance just like other manufacturers exaggerate differences for marketing advantage. Has EA ever shown us evidence that their teeth make any real world difference. No they haven't. Just marketing gibberish like green paint. (No worse than many other companies I might add)

The tips of the bottom tines on my grapple also have teeth but are less severe. They work for ripping roots and grabbing brush which is what they are designed for. In all the time I've participated in grapple discussions on TBN (12 years) I don't ever recall anyone complaining that their tines didn't have sharp enough teeth. It's a bogus non issue.