Thermostart problems. ARRGH!

/ Thermostart problems. ARRGH! #11  
Ground is made through the threads, same as a spark plug. Never seen a 2 wire version before. The heating of the coil should be what opens the check ball.

thermostart.jpg

Just a thought, and I never heard of it needing adjustment, but maybe?

/ Thermostart problems. ARRGH! #13  
...looking for an original Yanmar thermostart but I'm no holding by breath. A NOS part would be great but any that are left are probably gathering dust in Japan or ...
The used one in my photo is OEM Yanmar. The trademark stamped on it (top side in the photo) seems to be Hitachi.

Nippon Denso and Hitachi are both suppliers of OEM starters, alternators, ignition parts for many Japanese auto manufacturers.

Last edited:
   / Thermostart problems. ARRGH!
No the fuel valve is operated by heat from the internal heating element.
The ones for sale now use heat from a small element to open the valve. The original Yanmar one doesn't look like ones everybody uses now. The original has a steel case that extends about 1.75 inches from the hex. Something is inside that case. I don't know how the original ones work but they don't have two coils that get hot at the business end like they all do now. The original, like I said earlier, has 2 wires coming out, not one. The original is built differently.
Eric

/ Thermostart problems. ARRGH! #15  
Are you sure what you have there isn't aftermarket? I thought the Perkins-patent one has been standard, widely used, since at least the Perkins 3-cylinder diesel in the MF-135. (1970, + - ).

Are you sure what you have there isn't aftermarket? I thought the Perkins-patent one has been standard, widely used, since at least the Perkins 3-cylinder diesel in the MF-135. (1970, + - ).
I think it is stock. It was painted with the same Grey paint as the engine and the two wires connected to it both come out of the original wiring loom. And the loom looks all original.
Eric

/ Thermostart problems. ARRGH! #19  
   / Thermostart problems. ARRGH! #20